Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
286 posts, read 1,029,264 times
Reputation: 151

Advertisements

I know Maricopa County always votes Republican, although it was much closer in 2008. Where can I find data on how Phoenix proper has voted? The info would also be nice for other individual cities such as Scottsdale and Tempe.

Also anecdotally speaking how is the political climate in the Valley?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2009, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Metro Phoenix, AZ USA
17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Reputation: 10726
There are maps you can find on the internet that show the voting by precinct across the Valley in the last election. Politically speaking, Tempe is probably the most liberal of the suburbs, as you can see by those maps. I'll see if I can find a link for you, or someone else will jump in with it!

It's still generally a red state, but there are LOTS of registered independents these days all over Arizona, including the Valley. Some are more conservative, some more liberal, so you can't predict how they will vote in any given race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Avondale and Tempe, Arizona
2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Reputation: 2562
Phoenix valley carries a pretty mixed bag of political beliefs I have found.

All in all it's still conservative judging how Nickelbag Joe Arpaio keeps getting back in, but there are lots of independent voters who can go either way.

I'm an independent-leaning democrat who will vote for the person instead of the political party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:32 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Reputation: 28313
Maricopa County is very conservative. There are pockets of relative liberalism and Phoenix itself is trending democrat as it is trending poorer and/or "trendy" in some areas. But if you find yourself in an affluent suburb, you will be surrounded by dedicated Republicans up to and including large numbers of birthers. This place is full of wingnuts. It is not the place for someone who cares about liberal causes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
286 posts, read 1,029,264 times
Reputation: 151
Is it really THAT bad? I mean it did shift closer blue for '08 and that's with Favorite Son McCain on the ticket. I don't care about the burbs, if I move it will be for Phoenix proper, Biltmore, Scottsdale, and Tempe mostly. Details anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Reputation: 28313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Is it really THAT bad? I mean it did shift closer blue for '08 and that's with Favorite Son McCain on the ticket. I don't care about the burbs, if I move it will be for Phoenix proper, Biltmore, Scottsdale, and Tempe mostly. Details anyone?
Tempe OK. The ghettos of Phoenix and the historic neighborhoods north of downtown OK. Biltmore, Scottsdale - you're kidding, right? The rest of the county - no way. Try Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
3,995 posts, read 10,013,633 times
Reputation: 905
The city proper is mostly democratic in voting. If you look at political maps, you'll notice support for things like ban marriage bans, Sheriff Joe, etc were low and many of the suburbs (Mesa, Surprise) have majority support for these issues.

One example of the gay marriage ban. Central Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler, and east like the Biltmore, Arcadia area had 0-20% support for gay marriage bans, and larger sections have 20-40% support for the ban. Much of the rest of "Phoenix Proper" have between 40-60% support for such a ban and Tempe was no support for it; this is just one measure of the demographic. Also, Arizona has 8 congressional districts and 5 of them are Democratic, the mayor is a democrat re-elected, the Gov. was a democrat (Napolitano) but the appointed Gov. is not (appointed because Napolitano left for the Obama administration).

Phoenix Proper Prop 102 Voting map:



Expanded voter map:


Last edited by fcorrales80; 11-30-2009 at 04:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Reputation: 28313
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
The city proper is mostly democratic in voting. If you look at political maps, you'll notice support for things like ban marriage bans, Sheriff Joe, etc were low and many of the suburbs (Mesa, Surprise) have majority support for these issues.

One example of the gay marriage ban. Central Phoenix, Tempe, Chandler, and east like the Biltmore, Arcadia area had 0-20% support for gay marriage bans, and larger sections have 20-40% support for the ban. Much of the rest of "Phoenix Proper" have between 40-60% support for such a ban and Tempe was no support for it; this is just one measure of the demographic.
And maybe not the best measure when it comes to democrat versus rep. Blacks are overwhelmingly democrat but also a group pretty solidly against gay marriage. Catholics, a group whose church opposes gay unions make up a large part of the Hispanic population that votes democratic much more than republican. Gay rights is an issue that may transcend party loyalties.

One issue that serves as a barometer is the recent broadcast of Obama's message to the school children. In many, many parts of Phoenix, there were protests and bans of the broadcast before it ever aired. Almost everywhere it was shown, kids were excused if their parents requested it. In Tempe districts, it was broadcast and attendance was mandatory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Tampa Bay
286 posts, read 1,029,264 times
Reputation: 151
Good stuff. Ponderosa, here in Tampa our rich/destination 'hoods are actually extremely liberal. Maybe not SF but pretty damned left. Look up FL-11 and Rep. Kathy Castor. Screw the 'burbs anyway, let all the bots (as I call hyper-conservatives) stay there and fritter away their boring lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Reputation: 28313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamanation View Post
Good stuff. Ponderosa, here in Tampa our rich/destination 'hoods are actually extremely liberal. Maybe not SF but pretty damned left. Look up FL-11 and Rep. Kathy Castor. Screw the 'burbs anyway, let all the bots (as I call hyper-conservatives) stay there and fritter away their boring lives.
I could be wrong but I can't think of any area that has a significant population of ultra-rich, ultra-liberal that you describe. The richest area here is Paradise Valley which I associate more with Goldwater politics than Hollywood liberalism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:08 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top