Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 09:03 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If it was 100F right now, I'd find a way to deal with that.
100 is a cold day Jun - Sep. 113 is more like it. 100 is for May & Oct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 09:11 AM

253 posts, read 463,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Q is much colder than Phx...........especially in the winter.
It gets really cold at night this time of year, I was outside until after ten last night and actually had to slip on a long sleeved shirt over my tee shirt.

Take note: first complaint on weather, now that i'm a resident.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:19 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,173,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I'm basically looking for higher quality of life and a place where people are not as stressed out.

Are there any other areas of the US that have a climate similar to PHX(except Las Vegas) that may be a better fit?

Albuquerque. We have all four seasons, none are extreme. And a rush half-hour.

From what I've been told by some, Reno might be worth checking out as well.
Loves me some ABQ and northern New Mexico in general. And I love the four seasons with none being extreme. However, if the OP wants some of the nightlife/club scene of LA which seems to be the case, that's going to be hard to replicate in a city of 600,000-700,000 and it's even farther from the beach. One of the things the OP seems to like about Arizona is its (relative) proximity to the ocean compared to other landlocked states. But ABQ should definitely be on the shortlist of places to move.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Q is much colder than Phx...........especially in the winter.
Yeah, but it's a DRY cold

Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Well, I've been thinking about this question for several days. I'm wondering if Phoenix is worth it for year round living if someone like me doesn't enjoy the heat? Is it still doable? I think that I'd rather put up with the dry heat over the humid even though it leads to dry skin which is an annoyance. Some people can even get nosebleeds but I've been lucky that in 26 years of living in Southern CA I've only had nosebleeds once.
I would pose the question a bit differently. It's really about liking the desert, not just the heat. If you like the desert: its climate, the quality of light, the look of the landscape, the feel of the air, the flora and fauna and the human cultures that give it the flavor it has, then you should find enough payoffs in Phoenix to make up for the negatives (though the desert is beaten back there to a much greater extent than in Tucson). If you don't particularly like the desert per se, then I would take Phoenix and anywhere else in southern Arizona off the consideration slate.

Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Yeah, but it's a DRY cold
ZING!

Its a lack of wind cold

Old 12-07-2009, 11:34 AM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I don't think anyone really likes the heat, we tolerate it. For me it's getting through 4 months of 100+ temps for the tradeoff of 8 months where it's quite pleasant to live here!
It was hot hot hot from May through late October this year. Even November was in the 90's. Then we had two weeks of "autumn" and now it's freezing and storming. It was 29 on my patio yesterday morning. It's around 56 now... warmest in a couple of days. Our "winter" is here. Tolerable if you are from really cold climes. Here's a good weather site to help you understand our weather. I don't understand why they have such low "averages" when you look on the monthly average... probably because they also include night temps. National Weather Service - NWS Phoenixs

There's good and bad here. I happen to like the airport - and I fly in and out a LOT. The freeways (so far) are pretty well maintained and easy to get around. If one is blocked with an accident, there's another one or a surface street nearby that is workable. There are more than 150 networking groups and associations here - for every imaginable group, creed, race, interest. Lot of imports from all over. Not as racially diverse as a Toronto, New York, or Hawaii. But still have a lot of variety. Great food if you know where to find it. 15 minute drive and you are in the desert. Too many strip malls for my taste, and I wonder how many will hold up in this economy.

City is broke right now - delaying some projects. Fed money is feeding all the road construction, so that should keep that infrastructure going.

Who knows what the future of Phoenix is? There are things I love - the ease of getting around, the ease of getting out of here, the availability of goods and services. You never need to pay retail here if you know where the good deals are.

Obviously water is a concern, as it is in southern cal. Finally getting rain today. But trees are dying in places where people never thought to water them because of the ground water that used to be under the city. We have 5 beautiful Eucalyptus on my block that just died. Unusual. Supposedly, we are in the "zone" for an increase in temps in the next decades. And of course that is always hotly (no pun intended) debated: State in 'bull's-eye' for change | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/business/297365 - broken link)

Since none of us has a crystal ball - I suggest you go back and read through old posts on this forum. In between the ones who hate it and the ones who love it, are some very common sense posts that will help you inform your decision. One thing's for certain -- you can get smokin' deals on Real Estate in Phoenix right now.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:09 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
I truly think that if you are a person that is happy for the most part and has the correct attitude, then in that case, a place like PHX IS worth it in spite of the 100+ degree weather in the summer. Having said that when I was a teenager, I would LOVE to see the sun come out and shine the whole day. Now I find it a bit monotonous but it is what it is. After all, PHX heat is still more comfortable than heat in the South US, isn't it? I think the majority of people prefer dry heat. As I have mentioned in previous posts, the heat does not last the whole year and there is at least some variation in the weather contrary to what some might say. In spite of its faults, PHX continues to be a place where people move to. Would I make the leap and come live here one day if the chance was there? I'd say that's still a possibility.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
It gets really cold at night this time of year, I was outside until after ten last night and actually had to slip on a long sleeved shirt over my tee shirt.

Take note: first complaint on weather, now that i'm a resident.
Thanks for the chuckle, Darrell. Going to go put my coat on over my thin-blooded body now.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:58 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
I cant wait for the heat to come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area