Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 03:22 PM

130 posts, read 536,167 times

Advertisements

I'm all for the heat, LOL.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 04:00 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
I'd rather live in Phoenix's climate over Seattle, Portland (after a bunch of recent trips to WA and OR... I'm not too fond of that whole part of the country), any of California's inland valleys (even as far north as Sacramento, the heat, humidity, and putrid smog in the summer is dreadful), anywhere in the midwest/northeast/south, and any of the Colorado River cities where the heat is even hotter than Phoenix.

Phoenix may very well be the best overall "package" for you- and I haven't completely ruled out living there again in the future. But from just a strictly climate point of view, it's hard to argue there's any climate more ideal for year round living for most people than coastal southern California. Next best thing, if you're a warm-blooded type, are the Mojave/Sonoran/Chihuahuan desert cities at around 2000-4000 ft elevation: think Palmdale/Lancaster/Victorville/Barstow, Las Vegas, St George UT, Tucson, Las Cruces, El Paso-- desert cities that are still warm enough to grow palm trees but where the periods of *extreme* heat aren't as often and as long as Phoenix. If you can handle the cold, don't mind snow, don't need the palm trees, but still like plenty of sun throughout the winter, than look into places like Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Reno, Salt Lake, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Denver. Cities like Phoenix, Palm Springs, Yuma, Bullhead City, etc, are for people who embrace heat, don't want ANY snow, and don't like any freezing temperatures, period.

For me, having lived in Phoenix for four years, I think that Phoenix is just a little too much "over the top hot," and it was the #1 reason why I wanted to move away. After the summer of 2007 when it was over 110 degrees every single day for over a month, I remembered 117 degrees on the 4th of July... I decided to toss in the towel. You should *love* heat if you want to be really happy living in Phoenix year round, year after year. At the very least, not mind it. If you already know you can't take the extreme heat, don't move there, you will not be happy. Either stay put or explore one of the other options on my list above.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I'd rather live in Phoenix's climate over Seattle, Portland (after a bunch of recent trips to WA and OR... I'm not too fond of that whole part of the country), any of California's inland valleys (even as far north as Sacramento, the heat, humidity, and putrid smog in the summer is dreadful), anywhere in the midwest/northeast/south, and any of the Colorado River cities where the heat is even hotter than Phoenix.

Phoenix may very well be the best overall "package" for you- and I haven't completely ruled out living there again in the future. But from just a strictly climate point of view, it's hard to argue there's any climate more ideal for year round living for most people than coastal southern California. Next best thing, if you're a warm-blooded type, are the Mojave/Sonoran/Chihuahuan desert cities at around 2000-4000 ft elevation: think Palmdale/Lancaster/Victorville/Barstow, Las Vegas, St George UT, Tucson, Las Cruces, El Paso-- desert cities that are still warm enough to grow palm trees but where the periods of *extreme* heat aren't as often and as long as Phoenix. If you can handle the cold, don't mind snow, don't need the palm trees, but still like plenty of sun throughout the winter, than look into places like Flagstaff, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Reno, Salt Lake, Grand Junction, Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Denver. Cities like Phoenix, Palm Springs, Yuma, Bullhead City, etc, are for people who embrace heat, don't want ANY snow, and don't like any freezing temperatures, period.

For me, having lived in Phoenix for four years, I think that Phoenix is just a little too much "over the top hot," and it was the #1 reason why I wanted to move away. After the summer of 2007 when it was over 110 degrees every single day for over a month, I remembered 117 degrees on the 4th of July... I decided to toss in the towel. You should *love* heat if you want to be really happy living in Phoenix year round, year after year. At the very least, not mind it. If you already know you can't take the extreme heat, don't move there, you will not be happy. Either stay put or explore one of the other options on my list above.
Very true! You always have a level headed view! However, it was freezing in Phoenix last night; literally and figuratively, LOL! I mentioned before, if you don't at least like the heat on occasion, you're not going to like Phoenix in the summer at all. As for Las Cruces and El Paso, I would pass; they are very ugly desert cities and palm trees/cacti, etc don't grow very well in those cities. The two years I lived between both (military) the trees often died and were replaced because of soil conditions and it was too cold; snow isn't that rare in those areas...

Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,266,359 times
I cant get much of a break, I moved to Washington State in June of this year and they had record breaking heat of 108 degrees, then fall came, and it got rainny and cold, just like before when I lived here. My wife demanded we move back here to Gilbert (which I admit I love, truth be told), and its C O L D here. I don't remmember it being so cold here. Im glad I did not thow away our family coats. burrrrr, bring on some warm weather.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,696,516 times
Thanks Vegaspilgrim and FCorrales80. I read both of the posts and I will have to take those things into consideration. You guys are right when you say that someone has to like the heat on occasion to enjoy PHX. That makes sense actually. I did not get descriptive enough when I started this thread as to the type of weather I'd be looking for and what else I'd be looking for out of life so here it goes.

First of all, looking at the big picture, it is not the sun that I dislike, but I think when the heat is intense and it lasts a long time, that is when it could get tiring. Another thing I don't like too much is heat + humidity. PHX is generally hot and dry. I knew Vegaspilgrim, you would say that unless I like heat, it would be tough to live in PHX. You know better than me because you lived there for 4 years. it is a good thing that I can rely on others who have lived there for advice. Here in L.A. we do get hot weather on occasion. In the area I live, we usually get weather as hot as 105F but generally it is in the mid to high 90s up to about 102, so I know what heat is. And I can manage heat to a point, but it can get on my nerves after a long while. Dry is more manageable than humid heat. Is heat ideal for me? No, but I could manage because I am a generally positive person.

Basically, I enjoy nature and green and its kind of funny that at 31 years old, I actually prefer dark, overcast, and rainy weather. Most people my age would probably hate it. I can handle anything pretty well up to about 30F if I am properly dressed and there is no wind. I would not mind seeing some snow, so maybe Nashville, Dallas, or Atlanta would be a better fit? Oregon and Washington are beautiful states but their economies aren't too good now. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and I wish you all the very best

Old 12-09-2009, 06:22 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,662 times
The thing about the heat here is it is relentless, and doesn't let up at night so much. It still radiates from the ground and doesn't cool off until really early in the morning right before it heats up again.

In L.A. what I think helps you manage through it is that it cools off more than we do here in the evenings.

I notice the same effect when I go up north and camp. The daytime can feel really hot sometimes, but just as it starts getting intolerable, it starts breaking and cooling off.

I agree with other posts that you need to have something here that really balances out the discomfort of the heat, or when the weather is at its worst you will be looking around wondering why the heck you are here.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:41 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Thanks Vegaspilgrim and FCorrales80. I read both of the posts and I will have to take those things into consideration. You guys are right when you say that someone has to like the heat on occasion to enjoy PHX. That makes sense actually. I did not get descriptive enough when I started this thread as to the type of weather I'd be looking for and what else I'd be looking for out of life so here it goes.

First of all, looking at the big picture, it is not the sun that I dislike, but I think when the heat is intense and it lasts a long time, that is when it could get tiring. Another thing I don't like too much is heat + humidity. PHX is generally hot and dry. I knew Vegaspilgrim, you would say that unless I like heat, it would be tough to live in PHX. You know better than me because you lived there for 4 years. it is a good thing that I can rely on others who have lived there for advice. Here in L.A. we do get hot weather on occasion. In the area I live, we usually get weather as hot as 105F but generally it is in the mid to high 90s up to about 102, so I know what heat is. And I can manage heat to a point, but it can get on my nerves after a long while. Dry is more manageable than humid heat. Is heat ideal for me? No, but I could manage because I am a generally positive person.

Basically, I enjoy nature and green and its kind of funny that at 31 years old, I actually prefer dark, overcast, and rainy weather. Most people my age would probably hate it. I can handle anything pretty well up to about 30F if I am properly dressed and there is no wind. I would not mind seeing some snow, so maybe Nashville, Dallas, or Atlanta would be a better fit? Oregon and Washington are beautiful states but their economies aren't too good now. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread and I wish you all the very best
Nashville, Atlanta, and Dallas get hot and humid during the summer and all of those also see freezing and occasional snow and lots of black ice...

If Oregon's and Washington's eceonomy were better, you'd love Seattle/Portland and some of the other cities for sure as they are cold, gloomy, rainy, and overcast 300+ days per year...

Old 12-09-2009, 09:29 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,577,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post

I really think that Phoenix would be the exact opposite of what you're looking for. But that was already pretty much stated.

If you're looking for a state with a decent economy and don't really like heat all too much, look into Minnesota. The Minneapolis/St. Paul is a really nice metro. (And the winters in Minneapolis aren't nearly as bad as they are up here in Duluth ) But it seems like the best fit for you would probably be the PNW.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,702,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

...and some of the other cities for sure as they are cold, gloomy, rainy, and overcast 300+ days per year...
why does cold and rainy have to be gloomy? I love when it rains in southern arizona, the smell is great. I am not taking first rain, after all the nasty in the air is away, there is a clean washing cactus smell

in northern Arizona its cold, rainy, and even snows, but i would walk around in shorts and a short sleeve shirt as long as there was no wind.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:09 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
why does cold and rainy have to be gloomy? I love when it rains in southern arizona, the smell is great. I am not taking first rain, after all the nasty in the air is away, there is a clean washing cactus smell

in northern Arizona its cold, rainy, and even snows, but i would walk around in shorts and a short sleeve shirt as long as there was no wind.
You obviously have never been a delivery driver. I did it 10 hours a day for years in Phoenix. Rain is horrible, and I hate it. I am glad it rains even less in Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area