Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 10:26 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,882,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
You obviously have never been a delivery driver. I did it 10 hours a day for years in Phoenix. Rain is horrible, and I hate it. I am glad it rains even less in Vegas.
Then you could just about be mummified by now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:05 AM

98 posts, read 286,809 times
Personally, I can stand having to venture outside to "get into the car"... and then the few minutes of torture in the car until the cooler A/C stabilizes. The thing I hate the most is the A/C bill in the summer. If the electricity bill weren't as crazy high in the summer, I'd be a little happier.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM

39,109 posts, read 51,345,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
Personally, I can stand having to venture outside to "get into the car"... and then the few minutes of torture in the car until the cooler A/C stabilizes. The thing I hate the most is the A/C bill in the summer. If the electricity bill weren't as crazy high in the summer, I'd be a little happier.
You should sign up for budget billing and then its the same all year.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:24 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,484,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
The thing I hate the most is the A/C bill in the summer. If the electricity bill weren't as crazy high in the summer, I'd be a little happier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You should sign up for budget billing and then its the same all year.
Absolutely. Avoid the sticker shock. Easy to budget. And, they are always right on the money about how much to charge, so you don't have to pay any extra in the summer.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:52 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic View Post
I really think that Phoenix would be the exact opposite of what you're looking for. But that was already pretty much stated.

If you're looking for a state with a decent economy and don't really like heat all too much, look into Minnesota. The Minneapolis/St. Paul is a really nice metro. (And the winters in Minneapolis aren't nearly as bad as they are up here in Duluth ) But it seems like the best fit for you would probably be the PNW.
Right, but the economy in the Pacific Northwest is terrible now. Some of the cities in the South US do get cold in winter. But they are more manageable than where you are. For example, Atlanta, Dallas and Nashville do get hot and humid in the sunmer and they do have chilly winters but they are more manageable than Duluth. For right now I'm staying put anyhow.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:53 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,582,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Right, but the economy in the Pacific Northwest is terrible now. Some of the cities in the South US do get cold in winter. But they are more manageable than where you are. For example, Atlanta, Dallas and Nashville do get hot and humid in the sunmer and they do have chilly winters but they are more manageable than Duluth. For right now I'm staying put anyhow.
Indeed! If you like where you are, stay put! But like I said, if you do decide to move, and don't mind a frigid arctic like winter, check out Minneapolis! It is indeed one of the more awesome cities up north!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,631,462 times
Don't count on much snow in Dallas. I lived there for 15 years, snowed maybe twice, but LOTS of ice storms and black ice, plus very cold wind some winters. Some summers were very hot, too, one was so bad my dog wouldn't walk on the sidewalks, he'd hightail it for the grass ASAP. If you want good job market and a good singles scene, Dallas is awesome. But moving there for the weather? Um, no.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,092,923 times
I've lived in both and I'll tell you, it's not that much cheaper here when you figure in less pay and ac bills. I ended up saving maybe $100.00 dollars a month, not really worth it for that. If you hate the heat, you will hate Phoenix, so pick another city. Of course, I lived in San Diego, so L.A. is probably more expensive. But, be sure to factor everything in to your expenses. Traveling back to L.A. to see people and the beach is an added cost as well.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:37 AM

2,847 posts, read 2,525,044 times
We lived in the Phoenix area off and on since 1987. This year after the 112 to 117 degree weather we decided we couldn't take it any longer and made a change. Moved out of Arizona and are happy we did.

Between the economy and heat in Arizona, we were worn down.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,698,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
The thing about the heat here is it is relentless, and doesn't let up at night so much. It still radiates from the ground and doesn't cool off until really early in the morning right before it heats up again.

In L.A. what I think helps you manage through it is that it cools off more than we do here in the evenings.

I notice the same effect when I go up north and camp. The daytime can feel really hot sometimes, but just as it starts getting intolerable, it starts breaking and cooling off.

I agree with other posts that you need to have something here that really balances out the discomfort of the heat, or when the weather is at its worst you will be looking around wondering why the heck you are here.
Yes, I have actually heard that the heat in PHX never lets up, that its relentless. You're right about L.A. cooling off at night, that is a huge difference from PHX and its obvious that it makes it more manageable. However, in the summer, I have to open the windows otherwise I won't be able to sleep because it will be too hot. Although PHX is usually hot and dry, this will be something I really have to think about before making the leap
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area