Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 07:32 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,035,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That article is regarding cuts with juvenile correction facilities, not state prisons. Juveniles represent a very small portion of the state's penal system.

And it mentions that the cuts are merely a proposal.
They want to switch the juveniles to ankle braclets and monitoring, LOL! Ok, so what Arizona will do is cut school funding to keep the kids in jail. Unless they vote for the 1 cent temporary tax increase, and this is a scare tactic to get the leg. to pass the tax for a public vote.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:33 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,302,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Yeah I have some information on this; it is total BS. When we were discussing things on the "Florence" thread I mentioned having family that worked in admin and throughout the prison system, and nothing has changed.

If anything, prisons are about the only sound state run facilities because of the nature of their programs. Inmates work, pay the state for their "stays," and many prisons in Arizona are privately run and profitable. No prisons are closing, and no significant changes have been made to the system. Also, there are no prisons in Phoenix but there is one juvenile detention center in far north Phoenix...
Sorry my friend, but this just is not true. My friend is a correction officer at Perryville. Things are getting very bad over there. They are currently having lots of problems with finances in the prison system.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,270,371 times
Is that near Buckeye and Litchfied Park? Isn't that a minimum security prison?

Old 12-04-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
That article is regarding cuts with juvenile correction facilities, not state prisons. Juveniles represent a very small portion of the state's penal system.

And it mentions that the cuts are merely a proposal.

If that is what your friend is talking about, I don't think you'll need to "buy a gun if you have not done so yet" (although I already do pack heat :-p )
If you watch the video, it says they are currently just a proposal, but unless something miraculously changes in the economy, it will become realty. By the way, juveniles are just as, or even more violent than older inmates.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
Is that near Buckeye and Litchfied Park? Isn't that a minimum security prison?
It is in Goodyear. It is a woman's prison.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,035,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Sorry my friend, but this just is not true. My friend is a correction officer at Perryville. Things are getting very bad over there. They are currently having lots of problems with finances in the prison system.
It isn't true; sorry, but your buddy is lying to you or is being fired for something that he doesn't want to reveal. The prison system is fine and separate from the juvenile system and run through different funding means. You're just trying to scare people and doing a bad job at it...

This might be what you are talking about:
Dems want to cut state’s prison population

Arizona and other states like Wisconsin are considering turning prisons over to private companies; the facilities would be privately run but the governance would be the State Prison System...they aren't "closing prisons and freeing inmates!"

Old 12-04-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
They want to switch the juveniles to ankle braclets and monitoring, LOL! Ok, so what Arizona will do is cut school funding to keep the kids in jail. Unless they vote for the 1 cent temporary tax increase, and this is a scare tactic to get the leg. to pass the tax for a public vote.
It is a possibility it is a scare tactic. I do not know if it is or not. Regardless, setting these inmates free would have a detrimental effect on the community.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:39 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,893,696 times
LVD...maybe stop and think that since your friend is suffering from the effects of this economy that he is disgruntled by the changes to his life and is making statements that are pure speculation, or speculation he has heard through the grapevine? Letting them all go free is as ludicrous as closing a Phoenix jail and letting them all loose. Even if space is an issue they will be transferred to another facility in another area if need be.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
It isn't true; sorry, but your buddy is lying to you or is being fired for something that he doesn't want to reveal. The prison system is fine and separate from the juvenile system and run through different funding means. You're just trying to scare people and doing a bad job at it...
I am not trying to scare anyone. I just related exactly what I was told from my friend. He has worked in corrections since 1995. He has 4 kids and a wife to support, so he would never do anything to jeopardize his job. He is my best friend who I met and grew up with since 1983. He would never lie to me.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:41 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,270,371 times
Hey, if it happens, we can be our own little Australia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area