Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:21 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't know a lot about what's going on with the prisons but a little. I have two family members in the prison system at the moment.

What they are doing, first, is moving inmates to other prisons. My nephew was sent to a minimum security prison in Colorado. He is in for parole violation and originally was in for drugs. He did say there's a possibility he will get out early but if he was in for murder he wouldn't even be considered. Another relative won't be considered either.

I highly doubt that they would be throwing hard core criminals out on the streets but it's a great rumor to cause a lot of fear.
They are talking about letting out most of the juveniles, not adults. Still, juveniles can be just as hard core as adults.

Potential cuts to state's juvenile jail facilities

Old 12-06-2009, 03:42 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Oh yes they are, and this applies to both Phoenix AND Vegas. A quick search on Craigslist for car ads will tell the whole story in EITHER city. Phoenix does have a lower unemployment rate than Vegas, which I have said multiple times. What I did not realize, in which my friend pointed out, is the state of Arizona is FLAT BROKE, even more so than Nevada. In fact, the ONLY state worse off than Arizona is California. My buddy told me January is going to be the turning point when his job situation will be laid down. The fact is Arizona does not have the money to pay his $21 an hour salary, so they need to bully him, and treat him like crap to make him quit,so they can hire some unqualified kid at $15 an hour. As I said, Arizona has a bunch of unqualified idiots running the show, and it WILL be their down fall. Think of this, we have Harry Reid, and Arizona has John McCain. Not only that we have a very respectable sherrif name Doug Gillespie, unlike that POS over there who always makes the news here as the laughing stock he is. With that being said, we are still in horrific trouble in Vegas, so I can guarantee it will be even worse so in Phoenix.
One big difference about economy and how it relates to this topic in Arizona and Nevada; for one, the economic diversity (or lack thereof in Vegas) is crippling to Nevada much more so than in Arizona by leaps and bounds. The only real industry in Vegas is gaming and their complementary industries (hoteliers, restaurants, etc.). This is not the case in Arizona, and definitely not Phoenix as the economic makeup is forced to change, adapt, and grow in other sectors; something that Vegas (because of its very nature) is unable to do.

Arizona is broke, but it seems that a temporary 1 cent take hike will be inevitable and a very wise decisions by Gov. Brewer (who is surprising me with this remarkable economic strategy) as the temporary hike will allow important incentives for businesses locating to Arizona; but not like those that we've seen in the past mind you where impact fees were mindlessly waived in order to land the next Starbucks from a neighboring city.

The bottom line is that prisons will not cease to operate, be they private or "public" but will continue to operate and increase (at a very slow pace as recently seen). Furthermore, I find folly in your friend's or your story because in Arizona, as in most states, correctional officers are salaried employees and not hourly; overtime isn't something that is a consideration in the field. There are also minimum qualifications and job training that must be completed in order to qualify for a position with the DOC...here is a link to a DOC job posting for officers:

Quote:
Job Type Full Time

Pay Rate $$30,957.00 to $38, 509.00 per year

Pay Comments

Location(s) Buckeye
Florence
Globe
Goodyear

Salary: $30,957 to $38,509/YR.
Class: 38002
Positions in this classification participate in the (20 year) Corrections Officer Retirement Plan (CORP).

BENEFITS:
$1,000 increase in pay upon graduation from COTA and assignment to duty in a prison complex.
A yearly uniform allowance of $720.00
12 paid vacation days per year

12 paid sick leave days per year
10 paid holidays per year
20 year retirement system (CORP)
Medical, dental, life, disability insurance plans
Deferred compensation plan
Credit union membership
21 semester hours of college credit for academy completion
Phoenix Arizona Jobs - Arizona Department of Corrections Jobs - Correctional Officer (http://arizonajobs.localcareernetwork.com/Company/Arizona-Department-of-Corrections/6416 - broken link)

Old 12-06-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post

Furthermore, I find folly in your friend's or your story because in Arizona, as in most states, correctional officers are salaried employees and not hourly; overtime isn't something that is a consideration in the field. There are also minimum qualifications and job training that must be completed in order to qualify for a position with the DOC...here is a link to a DOC job posting for officers:

Phoenix Arizona Jobs - Arizona Department of Corrections Jobs - Correctional Officer (http://arizonajobs.localcareernetwork.com/Company/Arizona-Department-of-Corrections/6416 - broken link)

Nope, not true at all. My friend has worked as a correction officer for 15 years, so I think he would know if he was on salary or not. That link you posted said the yearly pay, NOT that they were salaried employees.

"High overtime bills. The Department of Corrections expects to spend $37 million in overtime this year, triple the OT spending in 2005."
The average overtime by state corrections officers has been running a staggering 16.4 hours a week. That becomes an exhausting burden as it stretches on week after week.
The extra work hours take a toll on family life. More than 40 percent of the state's corrections officers have children at home, and 17 percent are single parents."

It is all right right here below:

Arizona State Fraternal Order of Police (http://www.azfop44.com/2007PayPlan.asp?Link_Cat=1 - broken link)

Now you can see how my friend got hurt really bad. This article was made right before the economy went south. They have since cut ALL of his overtime.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Nope, not true at all. My friend has worked as a correction officer for 15 years, so I think he would know if he was on salary or not. That link you posted said the yearly pay, NOT that they were salaried employees.

"High overtime bills. The Department of Corrections expects to spend $37 million in overtime this year, triple the OT spending in 2005."
The average overtime by state corrections officers has been running a staggering 16.4 hours a week. That becomes an exhausting burden as it stretches on week after week.
The extra work hours take a toll on family life. More than 40 percent of the state's corrections officers have children at home, and 17 percent are single parents."

It is all right right here below:

Arizona State Fraternal Order of Police (http://www.azfop44.com/2007PayPlan.asp?Link_Cat=1 - broken link)

Now you can see how my friend got hurt really bad. This article was made right before the economy went south. They have since cut ALL of his overtime.
You might want to re-read your link. From your link:

The top priority for the Arizona Fraternal Order of Police is salary and benefit improvements for State Corrections Officers. Correctional officer pay IS salaried. Again, I have long time Arizona family members in this field and as police and correction officers; they are salary paid. There is a compensation of overtime for some officers, like police; although my BF's Phoenix PD position is salaried, they offer certain types of overtime pay.

The DOC is "recommending a special Correctional Officer Series Pay Plan under the Authority of the State Personnel Rules, Article 3, R2-5-302.C. See Pay Plan Ranges>>>

The Director of the Arizona Department of Administration, in September, 2005, sent the Annual Advisory Recommendation on salaries to Governor Napolitano, Senate President Bennett and Speaker Weiers, with the following statement:

Quote:
"Our need to attract and retain professional, highly trained employees remains a paramount
concern. In spite of recent salary adjustments, state salaries are still considerably behind the
market
. In this report you will find our employees are now estimated to be nearly 22% behind the Arizona market. As a result, many of our best state employees continue to be drawn to other employers."
However, the link you posted also is for "FY 2006 -2007 Correctional Officer Series Pay Plan." You might be getting false or incorrect information from a variety of sources.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
You might want to re-read your link. From your link:

The top priority for the Arizona Fraternal Order of Police is salary and benefit improvements for State Corrections Officers. Correctional officer pay IS salaried. Again, I have long time Arizona family members in this field and as police and correction officers; they are salary paid. There is a compensation of overtime for some officers, like police; although my BF's Phoenix PD position is salaried, they offer certain types of overtime pay.

The DOC is "recommending a special Correctional Officer Series Pay Plan under the Authority of the State Personnel Rules, Article 3, R2-5-302.C. See Pay Plan Ranges>>>

The Director of the Arizona Department of Administration, in September, 2005, sent the Annual Advisory Recommendation on salaries to Governor Napolitano, Senate President Bennett and Speaker Weiers, with the following statement:

However, the link you posted also is for "FY 2006 -2007 Correctional Officer Series Pay Plan." You might be getting false or incorrect information from a variety of sources.
I do not know what exactly you are talking about? The link I provided is from the state website, and nothing has changed since then with the exception of overtime being eliminated. My friend gets paid time and a half for every hour he works over 40. He also gets double time (not 100% positive) on holidays. Personally, I am a security guard who gets an hourly wage. However, the employees of the client that I am situated at is different. They frequently have to work 20 hours a day if necessary, and get absolutely nothing extra for it. That is what I consider salary. So please explain what you are saying?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I do not know what exactly you are talking about? The link I provided is from the state website, and nothing has changed since then with the exception of overtime being eliminated. My friend gets paid time and a half for every hour he works over 40. He also gets double time (not 100% positive) on holidays. Personally, I am a security guard who gets an hourly wage. However, the employees of the client that I am situated at is different. They frequently have to work 20 hours a day if necessary, and get absolutely nothing extra for it. That is what I consider salary. So please explain what you are saying?
Your link is not from the "state" but from an organization known as the Arizona State Fraternal Order of Police.

What I am saying is that Arizona DOC Officers are paid based on preset salary ranges and not by means of hourly compensation...There is a base pay that DOC officers receive; a salary in other words. Because of this, there are also mandated limits to how much "overtime" DOC employees are allowed to work. Basically, your friend is not being completely honest with you.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Your link is not from the "state" but from an organization known as the Arizona State Fraternal Order of Police.

What I am saying is that Arizona DOC Officers are paid based on preset salary ranges and not by means of hourly compensation...There is a base pay that DOC officers receive; a salary in other words. Because of this, there are also mandated limits to how much "overtime" DOC employees are allowed to work. Basically, your friend is not being completely honest with you.
No, my friend has always been completely honest with me. This is the main thing you said that I am disputing because it is blatantly untrue:

"I find folly in your friend's or your story because in Arizona, as in most states, correctional officers are salaried employees and not hourly; overtime isn't something that is a consideration in the field."

He gets paid time and a half for every hour over 40, and gets double time pay for holidays. I did not have to look this up, because I already knew it. This is from the official Arizona corrections website:

Arizona Department of Corrections (http://www.azcorrections.gov/Siham_policies_500_512.aspx - broken link)

Arizona Department of Corrections (http://www.azcorrections.gov/Siham_policies_500_512.aspx#512.02 - broken link)

Old 12-06-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
No, my friend has always been completely honest with me. This is the main thing you said that I am disputing because it is blatantly untrue:

"I find folly in your friend's or your story because in Arizona, as in most states, correctional officers are salaried employees and not hourly; overtime isn't something that is a consideration in the field."

He gets paid time and a half for every hour over 40, and gets double time pay for holidays. I did not have to look this up, because I already knew it. This is from the official Arizona corrections website:

Arizona Department of Corrections (http://www.azcorrections.gov/Siham_policies_500_512.aspx - broken link)

Arizona Department of Corrections (http://www.azcorrections.gov/Siham_policies_500_512.aspx#512.02 - broken link)
From your state link:

Quote:
1.2 Non-exempt and exempt employees shall receive hour-for-hour pay for extra hours worked. Pre-planned cash or compensatory overtime shall only be authorized to bring institution staffing levels into compliance with the operational levels outlined in Department Order #524, Employee Assignments and Staffing, and defined by the officer's Overtime Compensation Election, Form 512-6.
1.3 Extra Hours - Attachment A includes examples of situations involving payment of extra hours.
1.4 Overtime Compensation Election by Non-Exempt Employees - Institution Personnel or Central Office Personnel staff shall ensure that during employee orientation, all new employees in FLSA-nonexempt positions, either covered or uncovered, complete an Overtime Compensation Election form to choose the method of overtime compensation the employee wishes to receive.
There is no "time and a half" overtime pay for correctional officers as they are paid an "overtime" rate by hour for hour compensation when deemed necessary. Basically, if you don't know how salaries work, it is assumed that a full time schedule (set by state regulators) will be worked by the officer, thus they are paid a yearly salary wage that compensates for skill, education and seniority. If they are scheduled to work more hours then the salary hour guidelines, a form must be completed that compensates required staffing levels and must be approved through the bureaucratic processes. It is not the same as an hourly employing "clocking" more than the maximum hours per week...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
From your state link:

There is no "time and a half" overtime pay for correctional officers as they are paid an "overtime" rate by hour for hour compensation when deemed necessary. Basically, if you don't know how salaries work, it is assumed that a full time schedule (set by state regulators) will be worked by the officer, thus they are paid a yearly salary wage that compensates for skill, education and seniority. If they are scheduled to work more hours then the salary hour guidelines, a form must be completed that compensates required staffing levels and must be approved through the bureaucratic processes. It is not the same as an hourly employing "clocking" more than the maximum hours per week...
It clearly says the type of compensation the employee can chose. Obviously, he chose time and a half for every hour he works over 40 hours. I will try to call him on his way to work tonight to find out for sure. Regardless, I lived in Phoenix, and he could never go out with me because they would always call him in on his days off. At the time, he was making approximately $600 a week with no overtime. I remember him pulling in over $1,000 a week when he did work overtime. In other words, he gets compensated well for any work over 40 hours.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
It clearly says the type of compensation the employee can chose. Obviously, he chose time and a half for every hour he works over 40 hours. I will try to call him on his way to work tonight to find out for sure. Regardless, I lived in Phoenix, and he could never go out with me because they would always call him in on his days off. At the time, he was making approximately $600 a week with no overtime. I remember him pulling in over $1,000 a week when he did work overtime. In other words, he gets compensated well for any work over 40 hours.
Ok, there IS NO time and a half...the type of "compensation" they can elect in the election form is for how they receive payment of overtime; it can be converted into holiday or vacation pay in some cases. And as a salaried employee, your friend would be making about $600/week at the minimum salary range offered by the DOC...He could very well have been making an extra $400 per week in overtime, but he'd be one of the few as schedules are juggled and "shared" among the staff. In order for him to have been "called in," he would have had to have been approved prior to the shift for certain amount of hours. If your friend was a long time employee, as you stated, his rate of compensation would have been pretty nice and he wouldn't be making $600 per week if he has worked for DOC for over 15 years as you stated...it'd be more...after about 5 years, most DOC employees max out their salary range and move up the pay scale. At the high end of the lowest pay scale, a DOC officer would make closer to $800/week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area