Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,232,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Ok, there IS NO time and a half...the type of "compensation" they can elect in the election form is for how they receive payment of overtime; it can be converted into holiday or vacation pay in some cases. And as a salaried employee, your friend would be making about $600/week at the minimum salary range offered by the DOC...He could very well have been making an extra $400 per week in overtime, but he'd be one of the few as schedules are juggled and "shared" among the staff. In order for him to have been "called in," he would have had to have been approved prior to the shift for certain amount of hours. If your friend was a long time employee, as you stated, his rate of compensation would have been pretty nice.
The $600 a week, and $1000 a week are take home figures, not gross pay. He has worked with DOC since early 1995.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The $600 a week, and $1000 a week are take home figures, not gross pay. He has worked with DOC since early 1995.
Still seems kind low for an employee whose been there 15 years, but could be...

Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Privatizing the Prisons is a great idea.

LVD "friend" will have to apply for a position if he wants to work with the new companies

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM

47 posts, read 214,615 times
overtime isn't something that is a consideration in the field
WRONG!
employees shall receive hour-for-hour pay for extra hours worked.
That means hourly pay for overtime, how hard is that to understand?
And 'time and a half' refers to the rate of pay, in other words %150 of salaried rate for the extra hours worked.
What the heck are your arguing for? You don't have the slightest idea what you are talking about!
There is no sense in questioning the stated overtime rate by confusing it with the 'type of compensation'. However it is accounted for the rate of pay has been established as %150 overtime hours, %200 holiday pay. How could you be so confused as to misunderstand something so simple?
The salary is divided by the number of standard work hours, giving the 'hourly rate', then the extra hours worked, no matter what kind of 'bureaucratic processes' you are blithering about, are multiplied by %150 of that 'hourly rate' and that is the additional gross pay that is added to the employees compensation.
Can't understand that? Then give up! You never will.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Privatizing the Prisons is a great idea.

LVD "friend" will have to apply for a position if he wants to work with the new companies
Can you say why you feel this way? My friend is vehemently against it. This is because he would take a large cut in pay, approximately 30 percent. He told me that they are trying to privatize the current prison he works in (Perryville). He would have no problem getting hired, but he would not be able to provide for his family. Personally, I do not really like the idea because I feel there would be more of a risk of inmates escaping. Whether that is true or not, I do not know. However, if they do chose to privatize all the prisons, it really will not affect me, but it would severely take its toll on the currently employed with the state. I have noticed that while the state may not pay all that well, if you add up all the benefits and perks, they certainly do. I work for a private security firm, and of course I get no health insurance, sick days, retirement, etc....

Old 12-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Can you say why you feel this way? ..
They do it better. Cheaper. Better for the taxpayers.

Private Operations of Prisons have an EXCELLENT record -

Your "friend" prefers government employment because he can get away with more. Private employers will hold his feet to the fire more. He might actually have to do a full days work.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM

Some feel they are "entitled" to benefits. They aren't.

Employers have no obligation to pay benefits.

Nor should they

Old 12-06-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
They do it better. Cheaper. Better for the taxpayers.

Private Operations of Prisons have an EXCELLENT record -

Your "friend" prefers government employment because he can get away with more. Private employers will hold his feet to the fire more. He might actually have to do a full days work.
I will admit I know absolutely nothing about private prisons. I will have to do some more research on them. I just know my friend is against it, and rightfully so. It may be good for you and me (the taxpayers), but I am sure you can also understand his side to it since it would affect him negatively.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I will admit I know absolutely nothing about private prisons. I will have to do some more research on them. I just know my friend is against it, and rightfully so. It may be good for you and me (the taxpayers), but I am sure you can also understand his side to it since it would affect him negatively.
It is what is going to happen. Your "friend" either adapts or he will have to find a new job.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Some feel they are "entitled" to benefits. They aren't.

Employers have no obligation to pay benefits.

Nor should they
It is not a matter of entitlement, it is a matter of choice. I have absolutely zero benefits at my job, but I chose to stay there. If I found the same job with all the benefits he gets, I would go there in a heartbeat. I also tried to be a correctional officer, but I could not pass the physical. The interesting thing about all this is my friend always told me that he has the most stable job there is, and he was safe because he works for the state. This is clearly not the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area