Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,918 times

Advertisements

I'll be down in Phoenix for a few days for the Fiesta bowl. Where are some great bars or upscale bars/clubs in a good part of town to go? I go to TCU and I'm hoping to find some good places to go with my friends.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake12 View Post
I'll be down in Phoenix for a few days for the Fiesta bowl. Where are some great bars or upscale bars/clubs in a good part of town to go? I go to TCU and I'm hoping to find some good places to go with my friends.

Thanks
Tempe - young
Scottsdale - upscale
Westgate - The Stadium

Do not drink and drive, serious mistake anywhere but especially in Arizona.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Tempe - young
Scottsdale - upscale
Westgate - The Stadium

Do not drink and drive, serious mistake anywhere but especially in Arizona.
Scottsdale still has the younger crowd as well, but there is a ton of 30 year olds who think they're millionaires.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:37 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,027,136 times
I think it will be a safe bet to assume Glendale will have plenty of action during the Fiesta Bowl since Westgate is the location of a very large and nice entertainment district and home to the stadium where the Fiesta will be played.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:00 PM

919 posts, read 3,398,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I think it will be a safe bet to assume Glendale will have plenty of action during the Fiesta Bowl since Westgate is the location of a very large and nice entertainment district and home to the stadium where the Fiesta will be played.
Glendale is where one wants to be for game day.

But otherwise it'll be a dead zone the days/nights before.

If coming in for a few days, the best bet is to stay/play in Tempe and Scottsdale, as suggested.

And if any TCU/BSU fans have an extra ticket, I have a place to stay!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Glendale is where one wants to be for game day.

But otherwise it'll be a dead zone the days/nights before.

If coming in for a few days, the best bet is to stay/play in Tempe and Scottsdale, as suggested.

And if any TCU/BSU fans have an extra ticket, I have a place to stay!
Tempe has much more college scene going on, but Westgate is far from dead or a dead zone; try the Saddle Ranch, Hell's Half Acre, and all the other bars turn nightspots; I was surprised. I think either way, one day in Glendale, one in Tempe, one in Scottsdale, one in downtown Phoenix, etc will give the dude plenty of options for a long weekend...

Old 12-16-2009, 08:06 AM

39,108 posts, read 51,321,770 times
Westgate won't be a dead zone but Scottsdale will be more consistent and has more. An advantage to Westgate is that everything is right together and you can walk (stumble) from place to place and not have to drive and risk a DUI. Scottsdale will be wall-to-wall DUI patrols during the events. Westgate has a New Years Eve thing as does Mill in Tempe, but the Tempe one is going to be much much bigger. Mill is one of the biggest New Years gatherings in the US. The Westgate New Years is a 21 plus event, so no kids allowed. There is a Cardinals game with the Packers the day before Fiesta Bowl so it will be busy at Westgate around and on game day for that too.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:24 PM

3,803 posts, read 9,333,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjake12 View Post

Thanks
Hey, I went to SMU and live here now. Everything you are hearing about driving after drinks is totally true! Just cab it. I've never seen anything like it.

Tempe, near the stadium: the library is like the Moon bar with more TVs. Scottsdale has d-bag places, and I have yet to find a nice pub out here. But over in Scottsdale is your best bet:

Olive & Ivy is a nice place with a nice view. If you want a wine cellar type place, Kazemierz is cool. Things start early and end early out here. If you've been to the Barley House over by SMU, you might like ending your night at the Coach House.

But this place is weird.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Hey, I went to SMU and live here now. Everything you are hearing about driving after drinks is totally true! Just cab it. I've never seen anything like it.

Tempe, near the stadium: the library is like the Moon bar with more TVs. Scottsdale has d-bag places, and I have yet to find a nice pub out here. But over in Scottsdale is your best bet:

Olive & Ivy is a nice place with a nice view. If you want a wine cellar type place, Kazemierz is cool. Things start early and end early out here. If you've been to the Barley House over by SMU, you might like ending your night at the Coach House.

But this place is weird.
Things do end a little earlier here compared to Vegas and New York; no 24 hour places like Vegas or many clubs until 5AM or 6AM. Here it usually starts around 11:30PM or midnight until 4AM...then its the all night dining spots! When I lived in NYC, we usually left the clubs around 4:30 or 5 to hit the dining spots...

Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,614,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Westgate won't be a dead zone but Scottsdale will be more consistent and has more. An advantage to Westgate is that everything is right together and you can walk (stumble) from place to place and not have to drive and risk a DUI. Scottsdale will be wall-to-wall DUI patrols during the events. Westgate has a New Years Eve thing as does Mill in Tempe, but the Tempe one is going to be much much bigger. Mill is one of the biggest New Years gatherings in the US. The Westgate New Years is a 21 plus event, so no kids allowed. There is a Cardinals game with the Packers the day before Fiesta Bowl so it will be busy at Westgate around and on game day for that too.
Forgot about the Packers vs. Cards game the day before. Westgate should be happening all weekend.

If you stay at Westgate that eliminates the need to drive (Yard House, Margaritaville, Saddle Ranch, Hell's Half Acre).

You can always take cabs to other areas (Arrowhead, Scottsdale, Tempe), pricey to take a cab but still 100% cheaper then a DUI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area