Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 01:26 PM

43 posts, read 194,590 times

Advertisements

I may possibly be moving to the Phoenix area...possibly Mesa, Goodyear, Tempe, Gilbert, or suburbs. I'm not familiar with the area at all since I am coming from the midwest..was just wondering if anyone knows of any pitbull friendly apartments to rent from. I know they are hard to find so Im starting to look far in advance.

Old 04-26-2009, 07:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,251,135 times
VERY hard to find IMO.

Many liability insurance polices (for landlords) will not cover them for certain breeds of dogs - Pit Bulls being near the top of the list.

Many apartment complexes (and single family landlords) have lists of "approved" dogs.

Good luck on your search.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:37 PM

122 posts, read 307,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl5608 View Post
I may possibly be moving to the Phoenix area...possibly Mesa, Goodyear, Tempe, Gilbert, or suburbs. I'm not familiar with the area at all since I am coming from the midwest..was just wondering if anyone knows of any pitbull friendly apartments to rent from. I know they are hard to find so Im starting to look far in advance.

Yeah, unfortunately many people consider pitbulls to be nothing more than butt-chomping, baby-devouring monsters. The only thing in their favor is that they are lacking the red satanic eyeballs.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:52 PM

990 posts, read 2,556,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
Yeah, unfortunately many people consider pitbulls to be nothing more than butt-chomping, baby-devouring monsters. The only thing in their favor is that they are lacking the red satanic eyeballs.

For very good reasons I might add.

Notice you NEVER pick up the paper and read, "Area child mauled by Golden Retriever".

There is a "very good" reason that dogs such as this get "VERY BAD" reputation.

A firearm is only dangerous when it is in my hand, a Pit Bull is dangerous every minute of every day.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl5608 View Post

It is hard enough finding apartments that let you have dogs, period, but finding one that will allow pitbulls is going to be a challenge!! If you absolutely can't find one I would recommend renting a house (there are plenty to rent from here!). And if you can't afford it by yourself try getting some roommates. Plus, a house will give your pooch a yard to run around in.. no dog likes being cooped up in a tiny apartment all day. Just a suggestion. Good luck

Old 04-28-2009, 05:47 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,348,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
Notice you NEVER pick up the paper and read, "Area child mauled by Golden Retriever".

Old 04-28-2009, 06:22 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,401,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banger View Post
For very good reasons I might add.

There is a "very good" reason that dogs such as this get "VERY BAD" reputation.

A firearm is only dangerous when it is in my hand, a Pit Bull is dangerous every minute of every day.
Well, let's see... the woman in France that needed a new FACE was mauled by a LAB.

Not every pit bull is dangerous. The ones that make the news get there due to bad (irresponsible) ownership on any number of levels, poor breeding, etc. Same for other breeds...discrimination against all members of a given breed is wrong.

I don't want to get this thread off track. Back to topic. I'd try houses as well, as suggested.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,445 times
As the owner of a pitbull I recently bought from a breeder that lived in and Awautukee apt complex.it is possible to have pits in a complex. In response to the inordinate comments about pitbulls. Kids get mauled buy non pits a\ll the time. the only difference is when the media coverages it and its not a pitbull the just say so and so mauled by a dog. If its a pitbull then you will get flashing letters it all caps "SO AND SO MAULED BY A PITBULL" its all sensationalism to get people to watch.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,734 times
Nothing personal, but please not in my apartment complex. ;-(

That said, sure all breeds can be raised to have nasty temperments, and well, any dog is still an animal with animal instincts that will kick in given the right scenario. Yes a lab can maul a person. So could a poodle given the right circumstances and the right victim. And a lot of it is the owner definitely.

The problem with pits and a few other species is that their temperment is naturally inbred to be more aggressive. And the sheer musculature and force in their jaws and the way when they attack they will attack relentlessly. It's not "just in the media's imagination". Sure a chihuaha (sp?) may be an aggressive dog too, but I would much rather prefer to take my chances with 5 pounds of vicious chihuahua than a pit bull any day.

And given the rules and regulations at most apartment complexes, I would strongly strongly suspect the complex where the "breeder" in Ahwatukee lived did not know they were breeding pit bulls.

Also I feel for larger dogs whose owners cramp them up in apartments. Dogs need space. I gave the same speech to my niece who has a lab in an apartment.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,293,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post

Also I feel for larger dogs whose owners cramp them up in apartments. Dogs need space. I gave the same speech to my niece who has a lab in an apartment.
Totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area