Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 08:17 PM

127 posts, read 308,317 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm a single 30-something woman, just back in the US after two years in Asia. Before that I lived in New York City. I'm considering attending the Southwest Institute of Healing Arts, and there are campuses in Tempe and in Flagstaff. I think that Tempe will be more to my liking but I need help still. Wondering about

1. commuter biking year-round?
2. older and international singles scenes?
3. rent prices for studio or 1 br apts?
4. ethnic diversity?
5. any knowledge of the school, campus, reputation locally?
6. general feel/vibe of the city?

I'd be mostly focused on studies, and time home writing or outdoors biking/hiking/sports, etc. This is soooo much, but answers to even one or two would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,180,335 times
Cummuter biking in the summer would be tough... you need to be sure you are not far away from the school.

Lots of international students here in Tempe, primarily at ASU, of course, at both the undergraduate and graduate level. Tempe is one of the, if not the, most ethnically diverse areas in the Valley. I can't speak from experience about the "singles scene", but I'm willing to bet that there is a lot to do here in that respect. Add to that the fact that you are a light rail train ride away from downtown Phoenix, and that expands the opportunities for things to do.

I can't tell you about rental prices or the school reputation. If you do a Google search on Tempe rentals, you will get several websites to get info on rental prices.

The general vibe of the city varies, but it's all good, in my admittedly biased opinion since I live here. Mill Avenue, in downtown Tempe, is a popular area for food and entertainment and is near the University. To the south, the influence of the University is less obvious, and it's just a really nice place to live, with some really lovely neighborhoods. Tempe has the best public transit in the Valley, a very good Parks and Rec Dept with lots of classes and activities, a nice library.

Good luck to you! I'm sure others will chime in.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:35 PM

Thanks Observer53. Is it suburban, urban, how'd you describe it there? Is it highly walkable too? Are you familiar with the location of the school?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
Thanks Observer53. Is it suburban, urban, how'd you describe it there? Is it highly walkable too? Are you familiar with the location of the school?
Right downtown, on Mill, has a "small urban"/college town/mix of boutique stores and chain businesses. Compared to NYC, it is most certainly not "urban", but still feels lively. They built some high rise condo towers just off Mill which were caught in the bankruptcy of the lender before they were completely finished. Otherwise, there are few tall buildings outside the university campus. The rest of Tempe is suburban, in the best sense of that word. I've lived here for 35 years, still really love it.

The school is right on Apache Boulevard, right on the light rail line, just a few blocks east of the University. Seems like you would have lots of choices re: where to live, and lots of options for getting around town. The area from the school to the University and to Mill Ave (and south of the University along College Ave, or the area west of Mill, is certainly walkable, except in the heat of summer.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:15 PM

You're so helpful 53. This is weird, but I have to ask. I like being hot, but I hate a/c. I get stuffy headed, distracted, just sick, if I have to sit in a room with it, much less sleep in it. I would guess that Tempe is the type of place where you walk in to a/c nearly year round? Please advise.

I've read negative talk of the whole college town vibe. I take it you're not a student. I mean there is someplace where I can rent as an adult and not feel like I'm surrounded by kids?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9times View Post
You're so helpful 53. This is weird, but I have to ask. I like being hot, but I hate a/c. I get stuffy headed, distracted, just sick, if I have to sit in a room with it, much less sleep in it. I would guess that Tempe is the type of place where you walk in to a/c nearly year round? Please advise.

I've read negative talk of the whole college town vibe. I take it you're not a student. I mean there is someplace where I can rent as an adult and not feel like I'm surrounded by kids?
Well, buildings accessible to the public do have A/C on all the time, except you don't notice it so much in all the buildings in Dec-Feb. Fact of life, I'm afraid. Your school will be no exception. As far as housing, most apts all have it too. You might find an older rental property or a duplex or rental condo(there are several smaller older apt complexes that were converted to condos in Tempe, and those are often rentals) or small house with what we call a "swamp cooler" (evaporative cooling) or a piggy back unit with both AC and evap (the evap does not work well in the humid parts of summer), but those are not as common as you might like.

I'm not a student now, but I have two degrees from ASU, and am glad the univ is a few miles away for the cultural and other opportunities it offers. I think you can find something not too far away from your school that will be a little less pure student, and/or the students will be older. A smaller complex or a duplex might be the way to go. There are some small older complexes on College Avenue, south of Apache, for instance-I don't know much about them, but drive by them every week. You might look into inquiring with one of the Apartment Finders type agencies to give you some guidance or perhaps actually help you find something.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks a lot for that Observer53.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:44 PM

If anyone has any opinions on the school, I'd still appreciate it. I'm coming out for a visit next month. Also I'll be visiting a school in Albuquerque, so I'm comparing/contrasting the two cities and schools. It would be really helpful to hear from anyone who's attend SWIHA. Thanks so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area