U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
 
7 posts, read 15,809 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hey Everyone.. was planning on coming to visit and checking out these areas before making a decision to move from the NW to Phoenix. I am married and my wife and I have two kids..ages 8 and 6…we have a few things that are very important but this post is to hopefully try to narrow down some areas and forget about others. We are looking for a home maybe in the 220-300K range.. schools are very important, clean neighborhoods, family type neighborhoods.. was curious what some of the locals thought. I have read a bunch about “schools in phx are not the best” but I think that is par for the course in just about every state.. or course some being better than others…. Our goal is to nail down a city.. then concentrate on that city to find the house we want to call home.. this way we don’t have to change schools for our kids..as for commute.. I work from home mostly but will need to get into the office a few days a week so a commute or drive time really isn’t an issue. My office being in phoenix. So my question is.. how is Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee.. is finding a house in our price range do-able?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2009, 03:43 PM
 
4,358 posts, read 8,257,356 times
Reputation: 4465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballdad08 View Post
Hey Everyone.. was planning on coming to visit and checking out these areas before making a decision to move from the NW to Phoenix. I am married and my wife and I have two kids..ages 8 and 6…we have a few things that are very important but this post is to hopefully try to narrow down some areas and forget about others. We are looking for a home maybe in the 220-300K range.. schools are very important, clean neighborhoods, family type neighborhoods.. was curious what some of the locals thought. I have read a bunch about “schools in phx are not the best” but I think that is par for the course in just about every state.. or course some being better than others…. Our goal is to nail down a city.. then concentrate on that city to find the house we want to call home.. this way we don’t have to change schools for our kids..as for commute.. I work from home mostly but will need to get into the office a few days a week so a commute or drive time really isn’t an issue. My office being in phoenix. So my question is.. how is Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee.. is finding a house in our price range do-able?
There's quite a few of us that live in these areas on here. I used to live in Ahwatukee, then South Tempe, and now live in Chandler. Check greatschools.org for school ratings. You really can't go wrong with either Ahwatukee or Chandler. If you want a newer neighborhood, Chandler will give you more options. There are newer homes in Ahwatukee, but they are quite a ways from the freeway on the Western edge. Ahwatukee offers better mountain views. In Chandler, the only area to avoid is about a 1 mile radius around downtown Chandler, which is roughly Arizona Avenue and Chandler Boulevard. The rest of it is pretty similar, just with different commute times. Youth sports in Chandler are also really strong, probably the best in the state. As for Gilbert, I think it's generally a little further from everything, but still a nice town. A little more conservative than the other two.

My favorite neighborhood in the valley is the Ocotillo master planned community in Chandler. You would probably be pushing the upper end of your price range in Ocotillo, but it's worth a look, and some of the surrounding developments like Fox Crossing, Clemente Ranch and Carino Estates would probably work. This is also in the Hamilton High School district, which is highly desirable for both academics and athletics.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2009, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Anchored in Phoenix
1,942 posts, read 4,261,717 times
Reputation: 1779
I live in the Ahwatukee area. I personally prefer it over Chandler because of the mountain views. In Ahwatukee I think of two areas: Ray Road or Chandler blvd from 42nd toward the west. and then the next area is where Ray Road and Chandler meet at the curve. I think that's the real Ahwatukee westward to Desert foothills. Also up near the South Mountain area where you are gaining elevation.

Of course, the important thing for you is to find an area with decent schools. I cannot help you on that since I have no children. You will find plenty of houses in your price range in the areas I mentioned. I like it because it seems cleaner and more "greenbelt" areas than Chandler. Chandler seems more like straight streets, square blocks, and so on.

I live about a mile from I-10 so I consider it close enough to the freeway when I'm headed toward the Skyharbor airport.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 02:28 PM
 
Location: East Central Phoenix
7,116 posts, read 10,375,282 times
Reputation: 8423
Ahwatukee is actually part of Phoenix, but it's considered a separate suburb because it seems so far removed from the main parts of Phoenix. Probably about the only thing that makes Ahwatukee less appealing is the commute traffic in & out of the area. Its nickname is "the world's largest cul de sac" because there's really only one major way out if driving from Ahwatukee into downtown Phoenix, and that's via the I10 freeway. Traffic can be a nightmare along that stretch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2009, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Prescott AZ
6,675 posts, read 10,628,751 times
Reputation: 13207
I live in the Chandler Ocotillo master planned community and can attest to the fact it is really nice. We have a great HOA with low fees (mine is $62 a month) and very very good upkeep of the areas, the tennis court, the park areas, the lakes, etc etc. Its a mixture of older people and younger families, therefore giving you a taste of all ages. The kids skateboard in the streets, and the neighbors walk/jog the trails, and everyone is very friendly. There are a few community events like garage sale, boat parade, etc but not any planned activities like you would find in a senior community like Sun Lakes. But we don't pay those hi fees either. Many people have lived here since 1991 and homes seem to hold their value better than others. Also Chandler schools are excellent and very close by. IMHO its one of the better communities since its close to the I 10 and the 101 and Chandler Mall/theaters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Avondale and Tempe, Arizona
2,852 posts, read 4,098,172 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I live in the Chandler Ocotillo master planned community and can attest to the fact it is really nice. We have a great HOA with low fees (mine is $62 a month) and very very good upkeep of the areas, the tennis court, the park areas, the lakes, etc etc. Its a mixture of older people and younger families, therefore giving you a taste of all ages. The kids skateboard in the streets, and the neighbors walk/jog the trails, and everyone is very friendly. There are a few community events like garage sale, boat parade, etc but not any planned activities like you would find in a senior community like Sun Lakes. But we don't pay those hi fees either. Many people have lived here since 1991 and homes seem to hold their value better than others. Also Chandler schools are excellent and very close by. IMHO its one of the better communities since its close to the I 10 and the 101 and Chandler Mall/theaters.
I will vouch for that.

Most any neighborhood in Chandler is safe, clean, and family friendly.

The area around the 101 Loop and Chandler Fashion Mall is in a good school district and has lots of subdivisions that are kept up nicely.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Casa Grande, AZ (May 08)
1,686 posts, read 3,935,232 times
Reputation: 1411
However, there is that little pocket west of the Fashion Mall and south of Chandler Blvd. (I cant remember if its where it intersects with McClintock or Kyrene) that is sorta sketchy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
 
4,358 posts, read 8,257,356 times
Reputation: 4465
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
However, there is that little pocket west of the Fashion Mall and south of Chandler Blvd. (I cant remember if its where it intersects with McClintock or Kyrene) that is sorta sketchy.
It's really just a few streets worth of very old houses SE of McClintock and Chandler Boulevard, and it hardly influences crime or incomes for the area. The only time I ever see the houses in that area are when I pick up food at one of my favorite Mexican restaurants, Espo's. And I think Espo's is built out of one of those old houses. Just South of those houses and North of the 202 is a subdivision of smaller 70's and 80's built houses that have held their value fairly well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,537 times
Reputation: 14
You will get more house for your dollar in Chandler and Gilbert and more choices. All 3 areas have great youth sports programs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top