Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 09:13 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for a family to bring 12 yr old children? We heard different reports that its bad with too much drinking and partying, while other things generated by Tempe paint it like a family event.

I'm not sure what to think or if its something to bring kids to... any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 10:03 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Can anyone tell me if this is suitable for a family to bring 12 yr old children? We heard different reports that its bad with too much drinking and partying, while other things generated by Tempe paint it like a family event.

I'm not sure what to think or if its something to bring kids to... any help is appreciated. Thanks!

It's fine for kids. They have beer gardens sectioned off, and many stages with all different types of bands, food, fireworks, other attractions. You'll see the occasional drunk making a scene, but it's not too bad. Should be hell getting out of there after midnight, though.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It's fine for kids. They have beer gardens sectioned off, and many stages with all different types of bands, food, fireworks, other attractions. You'll see the occasional drunk making a scene, but it's not too bad. Should be hell getting out of there after midnight, though.
I know how it goes getting out of major events with everyone trying to leave at the same time... Thats fine and expected, but wanted to find something we could do with the kids and be sure I didn't expose them to too much too soon.

Thanks!

Old 12-23-2009, 07:38 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
I know how it goes getting out of major events with everyone trying to leave at the same time... Thats fine and expected, but wanted to find something we could do with the kids and be sure I didn't expose them to too much too soon.

Thanks!
We went with the kids a couple years ago. It was fine - kind of like the State Fair atmosphere. Lots of kids there. I wouldn't take them to the Art Walk , but the Tempe Bash is OK.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:21 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,014,196 times
You'll see boobs, flashing, and tipsy/drunks at the Tempe bash unlike the Art Walk , but it is a great time.

Kids are everywhere as well, generally seperated from the older drinking crowds...

Old 12-23-2009, 01:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We went with the kids a couple years ago. It was fine - kind of like the State Fair atmosphere. Lots of kids there. I wouldn't take them to the Art Walk , but the Tempe Bash is OK.
I'd concur. The drinking is confined to the bars. I've been only once to this party and was also a little hesitant because of reading reviews about it being too crazy. It isn't - it's fun. And the fireworks are great.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I'd concur. The drinking is confined to the bars. I've been only once to this party and was also a little hesitant because of reading reviews about it being too crazy. It isn't - it's fun. And the fireworks are great.
It is NOT confined to the bars as there are beer-gardens and "stations" on the streets and in public areas that are off limits to minors; but don't be under the impression that all the drinking is at a bar or behind doors as some of it is out on the street. It is a crazy good time but there are kid friendly spots as well that are great for families and avoiding the grownup craziness associated with New Years bashes!

Old 12-23-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
It is NOT confined to the bars as there are beer-gardens and "stations" on the streets and in public areas that are off limits to minors; but don't be under the impression that all the drinking is at a bar or behind doors as some of it is out on the street.
Same difference - it's not like people are walking on the streets drinking. On the streets they're just walking drunk!

In any event, there's nothing scary about it.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Same difference - it's not like people are walking on the streets drinking. On the streets they're just walking drunk!

In any event, there's nothing scary about it.
I agree ! Nothing scary at all. And some advice to those traveling in to Tempe from outer areas; USE THE LIGHT RAIL! It will save you time, money, frustration, and huge traffic jams!

Park at a park-n-ride lot, downtown Phoenix, near a station along the route, etc because getting in to Tempe and the Town Lake area by car will be murder and the train can offer some relief.

Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
I agree ! Nothing scary at all. And some advice to those traveling in to Tempe from outer areas; USE THE LIGHT RAIL! It will save you time, money, frustration, and huge traffic jams!
Yeah, the light rail is great! In the past one had to worry about driving... A sober New Year's Eve is just an oxymoron. Speaking of it, that's exactly what we'll get to "enjoy" in downtown Tucson!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area