Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 22,485 times

Advertisements

Hi all! By now, I'm sure you've all heard the anthem and can join in during the chorus: "I'm moving to Phoenix and need advice."

I've trolled the forums from my current home in Oregon, but most previous threads deal with neighborhoods for houses and good schools. Being a young and childless 20-something who's moving with only a fiancee and a bunch of video-games in tow, no need for that yet! But many apartment sites don't give me the information I actually want. Any info would be helpful!

What we're looking for:

- Low crime area
- Near light rail (walking distance would be GREAT)
- "Cool" things around (interesting coffee shops or bars?)

Any of this ring a bell for the AREA we should be searching out? I've heard that some people "swear by" downtown, but that seems like a rather big pond. Any suggestions for streets or specific areas that I should start making a mental note of?

If you know about apartment complexes specifically in Phoenix (i.e. by complex name) we're hoping to spend under or at the worst around $1000 /month for a 2 bedroom with nice amenities (dishwasher, parking, clothes washer/dryer preferred-- non-broken and usable gym would be even better!)

Most apartment review sites highlight mostly the "bad" (cockroaches, stolen cars, scaaaaaaary area) but don't give real details or a "big picture."

I'll likely be visiting Phoenix in (ack!) the heat of July to look at places in person, but any "food for thought" now would be a HUGE help!

THANKS!

Old 06-01-2009, 08:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
I think you should be in Tempe, not downtown Phoenix, given the things you are looking for. Best public transit in the Valley, on the light rail, lots of interesting coffee shops, eateries, bars, other shops, etc.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 PM

3,995 posts, read 10,020,724 times
There are lots of options, however, $1000 is a little low for a two bedroom downtown. You might have to add 300-500 monthly to get a non-creepy apartment near light rail. All of these places are close to unique and independent restaurants from Jamaican to Indian, great independent and chain coffee houses, movie theater at the Arizona Center, tons of night clubs, sports bars, pubs, ASU downtown campus, parks, and the precinct in Phoenix with the lowest crime rates. Downtown and Uptown are very safe neighborhoods. But here is a list:

1. Roosevelt Square (Central and Roosevelt) Roosevelt Square Apartments - Apartments in Phoenix
2. Alta Phoenix Lofts (4th St. and Fillmore) Alta Phoenix Lofts (http://www.mark-taylor.com/altaphoenix/index.asp - broken link)
3. The Met (200 E. Fillmore; 2nd St. and Fillmore)
4. Camden Copper Square (9th St. and Van Buren) Phoenix, AZ Apartments - Camden Copper Square
5. Metro4Twelve (620 N. 4th St.) metro 4 twelve
6. SPACE (601 N. 6th Ave.) http://www.rent.com/rentals/arizona/...archrank=5&fl=

These are Uptown, but across from lightrail stations
7. The Pavilions (Campbell and Central) Pavilions on Central
8. Lexington on Central (Minnezona and Central) Phoenix Arizona Apartments - Home - The Lexington on Central
9. Clarendon Park ( Indian School and Central) Clarendon Park Apartment Homes
10. Empirian at Steele Park (411 E. Indian School Rd.)
11. Empirian on Central (Central and Indian School)
12. Landmark Towers (Central and Camelback)

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-01-2009 at 08:35 PM..

Old 06-01-2009, 08:33 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Fcorrales-- You've said they are there, and I know you would know what's going on downtown -- so where are the coffee places downtown any more, besides Starbucks? I'd like to patronize those, as I work just west of downtown; now that the mess from light rail construction is over, I want to spend more time down there.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Fcorrales-- You've said they are there, and I know you would know what's going on downtown -- so where are the coffee places downtown any more, besides Starbucks? I'd like to patronize those, as I work just west of downtown; now that the mess from light rail construction is over, I want to spend more time down there.
These are the ones I like:
1. My Florist Cafe (Willo Historic District) My Florist Cafe & Bar - Back To The Hub
2. Lux Coffee Bar (Uptown on light rail stop) LUX Coffee Bar
3. The Teeter House (Historic Heritage Square) teeterhouse
4. The Paisley Violin El Museo Cafe Paisley Violin | MySpace.com
5. Copper Star Coffee (not downtown but close in the Melrose District, gayborhood) Copper Star Coffee
6. Conspire (5th st.) conspire phoenix website
7. Royal Coffee Bar (Jackson St.) Royal Coffee Bar
8. Lola Coffee (Uptown few blocks north of light rail stop) http://www.urbanspoon.com/u/photo_li...photo_id=55770
9. Fair Trade Cafe (Central and Roosevelt on light rail stop) http://www.azfairtrade.com/cafe/ (broken link)
10. Tammie Coe Cakes (Arts District on Roosevelt Row) Tammie Coe Cakes (http://www.tammiecoecakes.com/home.html - broken link)
12. Hob Nob Coffee House (Willo Historic District) Hob Nobs Coffee House
13. Drip Coffee Lounge (drip coffee lounge)

There are more but just can't remember them at this moment.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Anybody who is searching for apartments with all the amenities, and close to urban attractions had better expect to pay more than $1,000 per month. The metro Phoenix area may not be as expensive as coastal California or the east coast, but living expenses here are not exactly dirt cheap like they were many years ago.

Also, some parts of downtown Phoenix are pretty safe, but there are some places that are older and rather run down ... those are usually in the "spookier" areas. Then again, even some of the older dwellings in the safer areas could be considered "spooky" in terms of reported hauntings. If you're not scared of things that go "bump" or "boooo" in the night, it might be wise to check out an older structure. They are usually better constructed.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Anybody who is searching for apartments with all the amenities, and close to urban attractions had better expect to pay more than $1,000 per month. The metro Phoenix area may not be as expensive as coastal California or the east coast, but living expenses here are not exactly dirt cheap like they were many years ago.

Also, some parts of downtown Phoenix are pretty safe, but there are some places that are older and rather run down ... those are usually in the "spookier" areas. Then again, even some of the older dwellings in the safer areas could be considered "spooky" in terms of reported hauntings. If you're not scared of things that go "bump" or "boooo" in the night, it might be wise to check out an older structure. They are usually better constructed.
I don't think construction is much of a factor downtown in comparison to the cardboard construction in the suburbs and fringes. Since most of the newer apartment buildings and high-rises are made of steel and concrete like Alta, Roosevelt Square, The Pavilions, and so on or of block, brick, and steel like SPACE and metro4twelve, the structures are very solid. However, older buildings do tend to have more "character" in the eyes of some.

P.S. more places for great coffee and very cool atmospheres...the first is more of a breakfast joint but I really like the coffee there.

14. Matt's Big Breakfast (1st St. and McKinley) http://www.mattsbigbreakfast.com/
15. Silver Spoon Cafe at the San Carlos (Central and Monroe) http://www.silverspoonphoenix.com/
16. Palatte (4th Ave. and Fillmore) http://www.downtownbrunch.com/
17. The Daily Grind (Phelphs Dodge Tower, Central and Washington) http://www.dailygrindphoenix.com/
18. The Nile Cafe (Arts District on Roosevelt Row) http://www.nilecafe.net/
19. Duck and Decanter (Central and Roosevelt) http://www.duckanddecanter.com/Coffee/coffee_tea.htm
20. Sonoma Coffee Cafe (1st St. and Van Buren) http://phoenix.metblogs.com/tag/down...x-coffee-shop/

Last edited by fcorrales80; 06-02-2009 at 01:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2009, 12:40 AM

55 posts, read 180,179 times
Downtown Phx. is nothing like downtown Portland. I dont know if you are from Portland or not, but they are two very different cities. There are scattered coffee shops and not much shopping in downtown Phx.. By scattered, I mean you will need a car to go from one coffee shop to the next. Most of downtown Phx. is office buildings. It is slowly changing, but still has a long ways to go. I think Tempe or maybe old town Scottsdale area would be better, if this is what you are looking for. I drive into downtown Phx. late at night for work sometimes and it is absolutely deserted and "spooky." I just came back from a couple job interviews in PDX. There is no place in Phx. that compares to fabulous downtown PDX. However, I still like Phx., as I turned the job offer down to stay here.

Last edited by rockybird; 06-02-2009 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: ...

Old 06-02-2009, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybird View Post
Downtown Phx. is nothing like downtown Portland. I dont know if you are from Portland or not, but they are two very different cities. There are scattered coffee shops and not much shopping in downtown Phx.. By scattered, I mean you will need a car to go from one coffee shop to the next. Most of downtown Phx. is office buildings. It is slowly changing, but still has a long ways to go. I think Tempe or maybe old town Scottsdale area would be better, if this is what you are looking for. I drive into downtown Phx. late at night for work sometimes and it is absolutely deserted and "spooky." I just came back from a couple job interviews in PDX. There is no place in Phx. that compares to fabulous downtown PDX. However, I still like Phx., as I turned the job offer down to stay here.
Most of these coffee shops ARE downtown and ARE within walking distance of each other...or are at light rail stops. Most people don't know about these coffee houses unless they live in the neighborhood or know downtown well. These shops/houses are in historic buildings, for the most part or in new construction live, work, play urban buildings. You don't need a car at all to get from one to the other and many are open late, midnight or later if near the arts district, bars, etc. Downtown by the office buildings is dead at night since most office workers work during the day. But in the downtown neighborhoods, arts district, historic districts, etc;these neighborhoods are very much alive at night.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM

3 posts, read 22,485 times
fcorrales80 -- YOU ARE MY HERO. Thank you.

And as for the coffee houses, Lux played a bit part actually in my new employers convincing me to move out to AZ. Sure, the work environment was great, the pay good, and the people awesome, but what he knew would do it was take me to Lux, buy me espresso, and casually remind me, "You know, I come here every morning because it's walking distance to work" SOLD! Haha. Seriously, Lux is a neat place.

Thanks so much all! This gives me a lot to go on, and more importantly stops me from worrying that every apartment in Phoenix was going to secretly be filled with mutant car-stealing cockroaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area