Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2009, 12:02 PM

294 posts, read 984,628 times

Advertisements

at which point does apache trail turn into a dirt road? at which point would it be recommended not to drive any further with a mid-size rental vehicle loaded with toddlers?

we are planning a ride out to the Dolly Steamboat at Canyon lake.. what's there to do along the way? what's there to do in goldfield? is it worth driving further up to Tortilla flat? any good eateries along the way?

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 12:08 PM

687 posts, read 1,939,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post
at which point does apache trail turn into a dirt road? at which point would it be recommended not to drive any further with a mid-size rental vehicle loaded with toddlers?

we are planning a ride out to the Dolly Steamboat at Canyon lake.. what's there to do along the way? what's there to do in goldfield? is it worth driving further up to Tortilla flat? any good eateries along the way?

thanks in advance.
A couple miles past Tortilla Flat, I think. Too bad you're in a rental - I don't think the dirt portion is all that difficult to drive and it is definitely scenic.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:11 PM

38,963 posts, read 50,895,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamteam View Post

thanks in advance.
Just past Tortilla Flat. The road gets washboarded and is narrow in a few spots after that. And fish creek hill scares some. But it is not something that can't be navigated with a car. If you have any doubts stop at Tortilla Flat. There's a restaurant at Apache Lake. I wouldn't call it a good eatery - more the greasy spoon kind of place - but it's water front in a very pretty location. There is also a motel at Apache for what its worth.

Old 12-24-2009, 01:52 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,206,051 times
Tortilla Flat and the steamboat are 5 minutes apart. I wouldn't bother going past Tortilla Flat with a rental full of small kids (the kids will be ready to go home by the time you've gone up there, done the steamboat ride, and looked around Tortilla Flat, maybe had something to eat there. Goldfield is an old mining town, there used to be a tour you could go on, I assume that's still there. That's about the only thing on the way to the steamboat that I can remember.

Old 12-24-2009, 04:14 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,140,187 times
The others are correct, road paved until just past Tortilla Flats.

You can visit the Lost Dutchmans mine in Apache Junction. That's fun for kids. It is like an old town. You can pan for gold, go in a (simulated) mine, etc. Make it your first stop.

Tortilla Flats is a good place to grab a burger or ice cream. Sometimes on saturday afternoons they will have a cowboy band.

The lakes are nice and the boat ride is good.

It is a long windy road to TF, so after you go there, you will have had enough. You and the kids will be ready for a nap.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:51 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,599,264 times
The road continues for several miles traveling east of Tortilla Flat, where the speed limit actually goes to 45 or 50mph (whereas the road to Tortilla Flat is mostly 35mph). There is a very large turnout available before the paved road ends, so if you want to drive to the end of the paved road, it's easy to turn around.

I agree that the drive to Tortilla Flat is challenging, just because it's constantly curving and ascending or descending.

IMO, the trip between Tortilla Flat and Roosevelt Dam is one of the most interesting in the state of Arizona. Hard in a rental car with toddlers though, but if you ever get the chance, the rest of the trip is great.

Last edited by 43north87west; 12-24-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 12-24-2009, 11:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,206,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
The others are correct, road paved until just past Tortilla Flats.

You can visit the Lost Dutchmans mine in Apache Junction. That's fun for kids. It is like an old town. You can pan for gold, go in a (simulated) mine, etc. Make it your first stop.

Tortilla Flats is a good place to grab a burger or ice cream. Sometimes on saturday afternoons they will have a cowboy band.

The lakes are nice and the boat ride is good.

It is a long windy road to TF, so after you go there, you will have had enough. You and the kids will be ready for a nap.
The "Lost Dutchman mine" itself was never actually found. I think they offer the same experience at Goldfield, which is right outside AJ.

Old 12-26-2009, 01:58 AM

61 posts, read 94,535 times
I've ridden the AT quite a few times and once I did so and took quite a few photos in the process. If you are unable to drive it, maybe my pics will give you a sense of what you missed. Photos: HERE (http://www.seizethejourney.com/rideinfo/apache01.asp - broken link).

Old 12-26-2009, 10:21 AM

484 posts, read 1,363,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhere View Post
I've ridden the AT quite a few times and once I did so and took quite a few photos in the process. If you are unable to drive it, maybe my pics will give you a sense of what you missed. Photos: HERE (http://www.seizethejourney.com/rideinfo/apache01.asp - broken link).
I really liked your pics! Your website is great! You have been all over! Thanks for sharing.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,332,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComparedToWhere View Post
Thanks for sharing the great pictures. The A.P. is one of the most picturesque places I have ever seen. . . especially in the spring with the wildflowers in bloom. Well worth the trip. In a rental vehicle with young'ins, however, probably not the best choice. Teenagers and on up should enjoy it if they are intersted at all in the natural enviornment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area