Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 07:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,587 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am considering moving to Phoenix for a potential job opportunity.

I'd love to know what residential areas would be best to scope out. The job will be located off of W Pinnacle peak road in northern phoenix I believe.

I am 26 year old single female. Not too picky about commute as long as it's not over 40 minutes long tops. My budget is around $800 max. So living in Scottsdale, Tempe, or other is fine me. Just not sure where to start searching.

Simply looking for a safe, affordable, and nice place to call home.

Also, how is the music and entertainment scene is that neck of the valley?

Help! hahaha

Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 07:29 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,229,847 times
i'd probably start my search in either the desert ridge area (tatum & 101) or arrowhead (75th & bell) area

tempe may be a bit further out

desert ridge would give you access to city north, desert ridge and north scottsdale within a pretty easy distance

arrowhead would give you the arrowhead area and westgate area and still put you within a decent range of north scottsdale and desert ridge (20-30 minutes pending)

Old 01-02-2010, 07:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Scottsdale (unless far north Scottsdale, and that may be out of your budget) or Tempe would be a LONG commute to W Pinnacle Peak Rd. More than 40 minutes in normal rush periods. There are lots of nice areas on the northwest side, in the northern parts of Peoria, Arrowhead area, etc., you should be able to find something in your price range. Rents have dropped in a lot of areas, as the apts are competing with the houses and condos that have gone vacant.

On the west side, there's a fair amount of entertainment stuff going on in the Arrowhead Mall area and further south along the 101 freeway at Westgate, adjoining the hockey arena and stadium. There may not be as much going on as in Scottsdale or around the university, but those areas are not in your commute range, except for north Scottsdale which, as I said, may not be in your price range. Desert Ridge is a good suggestion too, and kind of splits the difference distance wise... I'm not sure what rental rates are in that area.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:53 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,269,853 times
yelp.com is a good site for food and entertainment reviews. Search for whatever kind of music of food you are interested in and you'll get a list of highly rated places and a map showing their locations. You can click any of the links for reviews.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM

264 posts, read 1,596,553 times
I would check the Kierland area. Desert Ridge is very nice, but, in my opinion, it is mostly families with kids. I have friends that live in areas surrounding Old Town, but not in, and I think their rents are pretty reasonable.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Thank you Finger Laker. That definitely gives me a nice start.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolagirl View Post
I would check the Kierland area. Desert Ridge is very nice, but, in my opinion, it is mostly families with kids. I have friends that live in areas surrounding Old Town, but not in, and I think their rents are pretty reasonable.
Thank you nolagirl. I heard that Kierland was a bit expensive but I will definitely look into that.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
yelp.com is a good site for food and entertainment reviews. Search for whatever kind of music of food you are interested in and you'll get a list of highly rated places and a map showing their locations. You can click any of the links for reviews.
Awesome! Thanks a bunch. This helps a lot.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Scottsdale (unless far north Scottsdale, and that may be out of your budget) or Tempe would be a LONG commute to W Pinnacle Peak Rd. More than 40 minutes in normal rush periods. There are lots of nice areas on the northwest side, in the northern parts of Peoria, Arrowhead area, etc., you should be able to find something in your price range. Rents have dropped in a lot of areas, as the apts are competing with the houses and condos that have gone vacant.

On the west side, there's a fair amount of entertainment stuff going on in the Arrowhead Mall area and further south along the 101 freeway at Westgate, adjoining the hockey arena and stadium. There may not be as much going on as in Scottsdale or around the university, but those areas are not in your commute range, except for north Scottsdale which, as I said, may not be in your price range. Desert Ridge is a good suggestion too, and kind of splits the difference distance wise... I'm not sure what rental rates are in that area.
You've provided a nice range of options. I have homework todo.
Thank you.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,431,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceana06 View Post
Thank you nolagirl. I heard that Kierland was a bit expensive but I will definitely look into that.
Rents are doing some odd things... it doesn't hurt to get on the rental websites and see what the prices are. Kierland would be about at your 40 minute mark on a decent day. Desert Ridge does have apts and condos, with singles and young couples w/o kids, it's not all families. Tatum Ranch, yes, more so, Desert Ridge not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area