Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 12:23 PM

27 posts, read 96,829 times

Advertisements

Hello, we our purchasing a home in Godyear and would like to landscape the backyard. Does anyone know where we can get trees, shrubs ect. and do it ourselves. We don't want small stuff either. Or is it just as cheap to hire a landscaper and who do you hire? Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:31 PM
ejk

126 posts, read 592,053 times
We've bought Jackrabbit Nursery, a bit Southwest of you, and have had great luck. I have also heard good things about Moon Valley.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:06 PM

38,898 posts, read 50,733,072 times
Jackrabbit is where I get all my stuff. It is owned by a long time resident family and they can really give you the right advice about what plants to use, what does well etc. All mine is DIY, but anything bigger than 15 gallon is pretty hard to handle without a couple guys and the 36-inch and up trees require equipment. To save your back, rent an electric shovel (rental place just N of nursery) and make big holes and use a lot of mulch. Both places are on Jackrabbit Rd at about Van Buren or so.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:05 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,654,588 times
We dug our Koi pond ourselves and it took 4 weeks to recover after digging in this hardpan dirt. We called Moon Valley for the trees and they will dig and plant them for you. It was worth it to have them dig and plant. They have some really nice packages too. Good luck. Oh, our neighbor planted Ficas (sp?) and they all froze during the winter. I would avoid those and go with the native trees.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 PM

27 posts, read 96,829 times
Default trees

how about palm trees good or bad?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:27 PM

38,898 posts, read 50,733,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrfd725 View Post
how about palm trees good or bad?
Many people have queen palms even though they do very poorly here. They are always half brown and when the wind blows the new fronds bend over and break. Mediterranean fan palms grow great but take forever to get big. Mexican fans look really nice when small, but turn into telephone poles with green tops in about 20 years. Date palms grow slowly and look like pineapples in the landscape. They are a bear to prune because they stick you something awful. Date palms get way too big for a small yard too. None of the palms are worth a darn for shade. Lots of people really hate palms, but the Meds, especially, are nice and all of them can give a tropical look around a pool area.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:39 PM

647 posts, read 3,328,087 times
We've used Moon Valley a few times and have always been happy with their trees and they do a good job planting them and not leaving a mess. This dirt is really tough to dig in and you have to go really deep for trees - I think it's worth the extra money to pay them to plant for you, but I may be lazier then most

Old 05-25-2007, 09:01 PM

93 posts, read 696,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
We've used Moon Valley a few times and have always been happy with their trees and they do a good job planting them and not leaving a mess. This dirt is really tough to dig in and you have to go really deep for trees - I think it's worth the extra money to pay them to plant for you, but I may be lazier then most

Same here, I got a couple of trees and some bushes from Moon Valley last year.
They did a great job and the yard is looking percfect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area