Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM

19 posts, read 34,973 times

Advertisements

I think I posted this in the wrong area before "Arizona" I wanted to repost in the area specific to Phoenix, please excuse the newbie mistake!

Hello All,
I am a single mom of 4 and a Real Estate Broker considering moving from Sacramento CA to AZ, I am consindering Phoenix or someplace near there. I'd like to get some feedback on the area. Schools, work, social life etc...

Mostly I'd like a change of pace and a fresh start. I heard from a few agents in Phoenix that there is plenty of business in the shortsale/REO market there, which is what I currently specialize in.

My two youngest children ages 14 and 15 are the two I'm most concerned about, my son is into sports and my daughter is a writer so I want to be sure there are plenty of activities for them to engage in while I am working on my AZ real estate license.

Any feedback on housing prices(rentals), schools, the real estate market, social activities, nice areas to live would be ever so appriciated! I've researched on line but I'd really like to get some first hand information from people who are from Arizona or have relocated there.
HELP!! I am tired of California!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 04:20 PM

56 posts, read 142,406 times
You need to be a bit more specific. What you're asking at this point is the same as I want to move to LA...

What's your budget? Like everywhere else they get more expensive as you move in closer.

Biggest thing about Phoenix is deciding on the East or West Valley.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:17 PM

19 posts, read 34,973 times
Ok, thanks for the feedback dst...

I am from Sacramento CA which is nothing like LA in terms of size or type of area, but I do understand what you mean. Hopefully these details will make it easier to get advice.

I would like to find a nice rental home to start out. I currently rent a 2000 sq ft home for 1300 per month which is an outrageous bargin! I am hoping not to go over that amount and am willing to sacrafice the space (maybe even a nice apartment if I had too) if I could find rent under 1000 (I need to keep costs down until I am able to build my business in the new area). I'd like to find the best value without moving my kids into a "bad" area. I am a realtor specializing in short sales and REO and I have been told that Phoenix would be a good place to relocate and work as a realtor/broker. But which area...I have no clue. So far, Gilbert/Mesa, Surprise and Tempe are areas that I am looking into.

Last edited by CaliBrokerMom; 12-16-2009 at 06:19 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-17-2009, 03:00 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,410 times
Hi Cali~ I relocated to Phoenix from Yuba City in 2004. I had visited Phoenix probably 10+ times prior to finally deciding to move here. Yuba City was too small and dating opportunities were nil. I have had lots of success in Phoenix with friends, job, and finding a husband.

It is hard to give you direction on where to live when it isn't really clear where your job will be just yet. My recommendation would be to stay centrally located in Central or North Phoenix. Maybe do a 6 month lease until you find where you want to settle. I rent a 3 bedroom home in NE Phoenix for 1100 per month. I think you can get a good deal on a home or condo for rent until you decide where to buy. Surprise and Gilbert are the two cities you mentioned that would be the farthest from downtown Phoenix. Is there a way to determine where you'll have to go in regards to fulfilling your real estate license?

I do enjoy Arizona, but summers are rough. I remember living in No. Cal and sweating all summer. You don't do that as much here because the humidity levels are lower. I miss the orchards and the rice patties of No. Cal. I miss the fresh produce and having so many beautiful areas close by. My favorite city is Nevada City and I miss it so much. The brown of the desert will take some getting used to. My favorite times of day here are sunrise and sunset when the sky isn't so bright and the hills are golden/red.

Best of luck to you.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:23 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,695,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBrokerMom View Post
I think I posted this in the wrong area before "Arizona" I wanted to repost in the area specific to Phoenix, please excuse the newbie mistake!

Hello All,
I am a single mom of 4 and a Real Estate Broker considering moving from Sacramento CA to AZ, I am considering Phoenix or someplace near there. I'd like to get some feedback on the area. Schools, work, social life etc...

Mostly I'd like a change of pace and a fresh start. I heard from a few agents in Phoenix that there is plenty of business in the shortsale/REO market there, which is what I currently specialize in.

My two youngest children ages 14 and 15 are the two I'm most concerned about, my son is into sports and my daughter is a writer so I want to be sure there are plenty of activities for them to engage in while I am working on my AZ real estate license.

Any feedback on housing prices(rentals), schools, the real estate market, social activities, nice areas to live would be ever so appreciated! I've researched on line but I'd really like to get some first hand information from people who are from Arizona or have relocated there.
HELP!! I am tired of California!!!
What part of Sacramento if you don't mind me asking? I lived in Sacramento for 20 years, specifically the Antelope-Roseville-Citrus Heights side. Are you set on moving to Phoenix or is Phoenix one of your choices?

The biggest thing you will probably miss about Sacramento are the seasons. Where there are breaks from the heat during the summer. And the slower pace of Sacramento. The last thing you may miss is the dramatic change of scenery only the Sacramento area provides. The thing you won't miss about about Sacramento are the giant amounts of cows surrounding the city.

I enjoy Tempe because everything is close compared to other parts of the valley. Tempe is semi-bike friendly. Even though there are bike shops everywhere, there is still a lot of missing bike lanes needed in this city. Phoenix area in general has a lot of mountains in the surrounding areas that give nice views and fun to hike. Only 2 hours away from going up where snow lands, but 8 hours from the ocean. Public transit here is great. Between orbit and the bus system, i like it.

I can't speak about the K-12 system here because im a little jaded. But if any person is serious about their education the community college system here is great with little bureaucracy. I can't say much about ASU because I have not attended the school yet.

My wife says the farther you are from ASU, minus apache blvd. the safer you are. I have no idea how much truth there is to that.

Phoenix specifically, has unforgiving summers. What i mean by that is it could be 115 during the day and 102 at night. Now mind you, when it was 103 in Sacramento, it feels 90 here. The dry air does make it much more bearable. But anything over 105, yikes.

On a final note...

When you search for an apartment or house, in the Phoenix-area, make sure you look at everything and read over everything. Do not trust peoples word out here, it means nothing. Action is everything out here and get everything, i mean everything, in writing when someone wants you to commit to anything.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:41 PM

930 posts, read 2,422,640 times
Absolutely you should move here! We have a shortage of realtors. I have been looking all over for one.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena View Post
Absolutely you should move here! We have a shortage of realtors. I have been looking all over for one.
You must be joking. There's no shortage of realtors around here. They are everywhere. You may not have found one that meets whatever your needs might be, but there is NOT a shortage.

Old 12-17-2009, 05:17 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,621 times
Umm....OBS....I think that is what is called a sarcastic remark. Though I disagree with telling someone not to move here if they want to.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,663,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You must be joking. There's no shortage of realtors around here. They are everywhere. You may not have found one that meets whatever your needs might be, but there is NOT a shortage.
Well there is a shortage of Realtors willing to engage in short sales. They are a tremendous amount of time and energy with a high probability of fallout. So if she has thick enough skin to dive head first into this mess, she will definitely fill a void in the market.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Umm....OBS....I think that is what is called a sarcastic remark. Though I disagree with telling someone not to move here if they want to.
I can't tell if they are being sarcastic or not, I would hope so, but that's usually what the emoticons are for, to make that clear. If it was an odd way to say, don't move here, then I'm with you on that. Everyone is free to move where they want to... in or out of here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area