U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 03:08 PM

3,995 posts, read 9,417,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
FC, brother, If you are not getting paid by the Phoenix area chamber of commerce you should be. You are getting shafted, all this publicity for free.

P.S. I shall buy you a starbucks gift card if you write one negative post regarding Phoenix, just one. Send me a PM with your info so that I can send it to you.
LOL, I have more than a few negatives:

1. Light rail started way too late and moving too slowly in expansion

2. It was absolutely the dumbest decision not to court and help the W Hotel plan a new location in downtown

3. Van Buren St. used to be a cool, hip main drag in Phoenix and as one newspaper put it, "it is now just a 'drag!'" with the exception of a one mile stretch in downtown which has some promise...LOL

Quote:
With the advent of the automobile in the 1920s, Van Buren became a main thoroughfare jammed with swanky cocktail lounges and "motor lodges," a convenience to those traveling U.S. Highways 70, 80, and 89, all of which intersected Van Buren. In the 1950s, the block began to glitter with de rigueur neon, indicating its hip hotness and trumpeting its spectacular new in-ground pools and the state's first drive-in movie theater.

By the 1970s, though, Van Buren's calling card had gone from urbane to urban decay, thanks in part to the expansion of Interstate 10. No longer the main thoroughfare into Phoenix, Van Buren turned to seed as folks sped past its mid-century motor courts on the shiny new highway, toward Holiday Inns and mega-malls and away from what was now considered "the bad part of town." Phoenix had begun to drift northward, and Van Buren, once a thriving destination north of town, never recovered.

There have been attempts to revitalize Van Buren, of course — most notably Camden Copper Square, that swanky new condominium complex just east of Seventh Street. In 2007, after a yearlong investigation into prostitution, Sheriff Joe Arpaio forced Van Buren's motels to surrender their hour-rate licenses, which probably only resulted in people being fellated in their cars rather than in what's left of Van Buren's rundown motels.
Van Buren is a mess, but it, like our sad and depraved stories about it, belongs entirely to Phoenicians.

My own Van Buren story is pretty mundane. On the day my father bought me my first car — a gift for having made it through high school — I phoned my friend Brian and said, "Put your shoes on; we're going to go look at whores on Van Buren." Not because we planned to do business with hookers; Brian's passion at the time was for superhero comics, and mine belonged to Katharine Hepburn movies and guys with mustaches. But we, children of the Phoenix suburbs, were fascinated by the idea that there was a place in our town we could get to by car, an entire other world, where women in hot pants and Afros stood on street corners, their hands on their hips, glowering at passersby like extras from a rerun of Baretta.

We drove slowly east on Van Buren, ogling the booby hatch and the paint-peeling neon signs and the gaudy hookers, my new car doors safely locked against Phoenix's scary past. We were tourists in our own town.

"Wow," I remember Brian saying. "Is this really what Phoenix used to be?"
Phoenix Arts - Van Buren Street: Phoenix’s Former Main Drag Is Now Just a Drag - page 1
People used to be able to met Hollywood types like Clark Gable in the swanky lounges along Van Buren...

Thanks for Starbucks card offer, but I prefer Lola Coffee, Conspire, or Copper Star...LOL even Lux.

Last edited by fcorrales80; 02-01-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM

611 posts, read 1,890,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Well yes, after dropping from $250,000 to $100,000 since 2006, then climbing from $100,000 to $110,000, I would say that is a big percentage increase. Funny how this news can be spun to fool people into thinking another bubble is brewing in Phoenix.

For those of us who bought in the last 2 or 3 months it's awesome news. I just wanted to stay within 10% of my purchase price. Any appreciation is good news.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: