U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM

46 posts, read 96,839 times

Advertisements

Someone recently commented that they see more Pit Bulls in Phoenix than other areas they have lived. My sister has one and when we were visiting her, someone else was walking their Pit Bull in the same apartment complex. I would find it odd that there would be more in this area than in others around the country, but I suppose it could be.

Here in Michigan, there are actually cities that have outlawed them. Does AZ have these laws in any of their cities and/or individual communities (maybe HOA's)? One man (here in MI) sold his house and moved so he could keep his Pit! Now that is a true dog lover.

I do not own a dog anymore, when I did, it was just a little lap dog. I am just curious about this topic.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-02-2010, 09:27 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,625,734 times
There are a lot of paranoid people here that think a dog is their protection.

Not that I dislike Pit Bulls, they can be very nice dogs if treated good. But a lot of people here do not treat them well and use them to intimidate others.

Years ago I met a man in Tucson that bred them and sold them to people that would fight them, very sad. But I was amazed at how many people wanted these abused dogs, I mean thousands of dollars per dog.

As you know, we have had our share of "Michael Vick's", the most prominent one was the rapper DMX who lived here in Cave Creek. Funny, but most people here love animals, yet this kind of thing still goes on.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:41 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,177,487 times
I see a lot of pits and American bulldogs here in Phoenix. I think it may also have something to do with the fact that we have a lot of small, no kill rescues that give opportunities to the dogs that would usually be euthanized at the county pound. It does seem to me that many of the mutts I see at the dog park are pit crosses of some sort, but I also see a lot of people assuming a dog is a pit or pit mix when they are not. My dog is a Border Collie Whippet cross but I have an aunt who insists my dog is a pit mix. I am not aware of any town or HOA that outlaws pits, but I am a renter whose landlords prohibit us from having any of the bully breeds.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:49 AM

845 posts, read 2,189,436 times
People try to make up for other shortcomings by having a big mean dog, or a big loud truck.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:52 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,646,487 times
I don't love pitbulls. I think the bad breeding and bad owner's have ruined them. I do not care how well behaved, how many babies they let crawl all over them, they are very unpredictable. We had two here in our village that used to stare us down when walking on the trail. These two "family" dogs got out one morning went accross the road to the retirment village and attacked a woman moving into her new home. They ripped her dog to pieces, bit her bad enough to put her in the hospital and then went out to kill another residents dog. It is like keeping a loaded gun around small children. Maybe nothing will happen and you can go on to brag about how smart your kids were or the unthinkable will happen.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,860,942 times
There is no BSL here (Breed Specific Legislation). Breeders and responsible owners of Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers and other breeds have been fighting BSL all over the country, trying to make the individual dog that is a hazard the issue, promoting responsible ownership, and speaking out against sanctions of entire breeds of dogs.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM

845 posts, read 2,189,436 times
What bothers me is that the vast majority of these owners do not have the financial means to take care of their own families, let alone take responsibility for the actions of their dogs.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:37 AM

9,320 posts, read 17,646,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There is no BSL here (Breed Specific Legislation). Breeders and responsible owners of Pit Bulls, Dobermans, Rottweilers and other breeds have been fighting BSL all over the country, trying to make the individual dog that is a hazard the issue, promoting responsible ownership, and speaking out against sanctions of entire breeds of dogs.
I would never propose a bill telling people what kind of dog they can own. I do however feel those who want to keep dangerous breeds have the means to pay those who lose children or pets in an attack. If they want to live life as a moving target for law suits, that is their right. However, I can always use another house.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:00 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,110,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I don't love pitbulls. I think the bad breeding and bad owner's have ruined them. I do not care how well behaved, how many babies they let crawl all over them, they are very unpredictable. We had two here in our village that used to stare us down when walking on the trail. These two "family" dogs got out one morning went accross the road to the retirment village and attacked a woman moving into her new home. They ripped her dog to pieces, bit her bad enough to put her in the hospital and then went out to kill another residents dog. It is like keeping a loaded gun around small children. Maybe nothing will happen and you can go on to brag about how smart your kids were or the unthinkable will happen.
I can tell you have NEVER owned a pit bull. In fact, I would be willing to bet money on it. My best friend thought I was crazy for owning a pit. That was until he saw the light. He has 4 kids, and he took my advice in buying one. He has now had his pit bull for 2 years who is a female name Chocolate. He raised her from a puppy, and has found her to be the most loving dog he has ever owned. She is also very protective of the family, and is all around a great dog. He even lets her sleep with him and his wife. The simple fact is you never saw what went behind closed doors with your neighbor. Pit bulls are hands down the most loving, sweetest breed there is. Believe it or not, but you are WAY more likely to be attacked by a Chihuahua than a pit bull.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM

10,494 posts, read 25,110,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post

BSL has an urban definition of bull sh@$ legislation, which is what it really is. Let's not make Phoenix like Denver, which truly is a disgraceful city. If anyone ever wants to know why I absolutely despise the city, this is one of the main reasons.

Denver pit bull ban leads to 'dogs in hiding' - Other Pet News- msnbc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area