Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:01 PM

123 posts, read 352,913 times

Advertisements

You should look into the outskirt areas for lower prices. You will be able to find great deals in Queen Creek right now in that price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 08:59 AM

38 posts, read 83,435 times
Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I will check out Queen Creek -- how bad would the commute to downtown be from there?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:28 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,129,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCR View Post
Thank you all very much for your suggestions! I will check out Queen Creek -- how bad would the commute to downtown be from there?
Far, about 40 miles.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM

162 posts, read 428,190 times
My suggestion would be that the OP could post some links to different properties, or at least give us the address and we can comment about what we thing about that neighborhood.
I moved here in 07 and first we rented a house around Cactus and 19th ave. The renting was a good idea, proximity to downtown was great (pretty much a straight shot down 7th ave). the neighborhood was however not ok. I wouldn't classify it as a horrible neighborhood, but there were quite a few shady neighbors and had some neighbor kids climbing on top of our house at 1 AM. Not the kind of thing one would want to live with if you have 3 little girls. We even joked about having my wife open a donut shop in front of the house because the police would have been regular customers. I have a relative who does real estate here (then again, who doesn't in AZ ) but we were looking at some insanely cheap homes for sale that would have been at least a couple hundred K 3-4 years ago. Well, All of the ones I saw at those prices, I personally wouldn't live there. And I hate a lot of those old houses. They look like crap. I think the best thing would be if they would bulldoze some of those areas with crappy little old houses and build some decent looking homes on them instead. Some might say those properties have character. I think they look like crap.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,686,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
My suggestion would be that the OP could post some links to different properties, or at least give us the address and we can comment about what we thing about that neighborhood.
I moved here in 07 and first we rented a house around Cactus and 19th ave. The renting was a good idea, proximity to downtown was great (pretty much a straight shot down 7th ave). the neighborhood was however not ok. I wouldn't classify it as a horrible neighborhood, but there were quite a few shady neighbors and had some neighbor kids climbing on top of our house at 1 AM. Not the kind of thing one would want to live with if you have 3 little girls. We even joked about having my wife open a donut shop in front of the house because the police would have been regular customers. I have a relative who does real estate here (then again, who doesn't in AZ ) but we were looking at some insanely cheap homes for sale that would have been at least a couple hundred K 3-4 years ago. Well, All of the ones I saw at those prices, I personally wouldn't live there. And I hate a lot of those old houses. They look like crap. I think the best thing would be if they would bulldoze some of those areas with crappy little old houses and build some decent looking homes on them instead. Some might say those properties have character. I think they look like crap.
I agree that some of the housing development have a rather limited choice in roof colors or exterior stucco colors, rendering the neighborhoods bland.
I would suggest to the OP to look at all the different areas before making a final decision. You can buy a newer home in Vistancia for $160,000 right now that 4 years ago was almost twice that. Surprise has some great homes in the $120's.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM

Yes I was looking at Surprise, they seem to have some really beautiful homes in the 100k+ range. How is the commute issue there? I looked at some older threads that seemed to indicate it was far from any highways, but when I did a general mapquest it seemed to be highways all the way to Phoenix.

I think we'll probably stick with a range not much higher than 110k or so. We still have our home in Chicago and don't want to have to totally rely on being able to get and keep a renter.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:17 PM

Sorry for the double post but I just wanted to give a general idea like Greendesert suggested of where some of the Phoenix properties are. They seem to be in a lot of areas and I'm not sure of all the linking rules on this site so I picked a couple that seeemed in the same general vicinity. A couple are:

Between W Baseline and Buckeye, one west of S 35 Ave. and one east of it.

There is another one I was looking at that is north of Desert Sky Mall, just south of W Camelback Rd.

A lot of homes seem near Baseline -- I'm guessing that's a less desirable area?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:26 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,002,528 times
I don't know the SW valley well, but others here have said anything S of I-10 out there is not as good as N of I-10....

haggle hard on a house....prices will probably be stagnant for at least three or so years.....

remember you get what you pay for....there are so many houses for sale....you may want to go for a smaller house in a more desirable 'hood....location, location, location

Old 02-05-2010, 04:33 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,205,176 times
Great homes in Buckeye. I have seen many examples for 4 bed 2 bath for under $70,000.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:27 PM

382 posts, read 1,351,064 times
We are going to close on a house in Surprise pretty soon. It's a 4 bd/2 1/2 bth 1800+ sqft home in a good neighborhood. The homes aren't empty at all, no more than any other area. The price is under $120k and the worst repairs it needed were screens for windows/doors.

As for the commute, it depends on what your travel times are. My husband will be working east of downtown along Van Buren and it will be about a 45 minute commute at night. Regular traffic hours will be at least an hour to the downtown area, more or less. It also depends on what route you take. Grand Ave. is under construction in some areas right now so that can slow things down a bit, but when it's open it can make things faster.

We haven't tried the 303, but that's probably what my husband will be taking until Grand Ave. is done. The 303 is a two lane from what we've seen, but won't be a problem at night (there's construction on it, but north of Bell right now I believe, future work is in the plans.) We've never had any problems with traffic on the 101. The worst area is going to be Bell Ave. It can be pretty bad. It's not stop and go like L.A. traffic, but you can get stuck behind Sun City folks, which sucks, and you have your crazy "gotta hurry to that red light" drivers too. It's worse as you get closer to the 101, then not so bad. It's a 20 minute drive along Litchfield Rd. to the I-10.

Hope that helps some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area