U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 09:19 PM

8 posts, read 23,150 times

Advertisements

My husband and i want to move to phoenix between may and july...what areas should we avoid when looking for a house/apartment...whats the deal with scorpions is that something we should be concerned about?? And we have a 2 and 6 year old, what school districts are best for living/school/diversity?

Also, how is the job market?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 PM

61 posts, read 177,806 times
First, make sure you have employment lined up here. What fields are you in?

Old 02-06-2010, 09:44 PM

17,826 posts, read 38,753,432 times
Scorpions are more a topic of discussion on this board than they are an actual problem for the overwhelming majority of people.

Where you will want to live will depend a lot on where you end up working. You don't say anything about the field(s) you are working in, generally the job market here is poor, but there would be some exceptions where it is a little better. Don't move here without jobs lined up or a very large cushion. Once you find the jobs, you can scope out where to live in terms of schools, etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 PM

723 posts, read 1,162,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msinternational View Post
My husband and i want to move to phoenix between may and july...what areas should we avoid when looking for a house/apartment...whats the deal with scorpions is that something we should be concerned about?? And we have a 2 and 6 year old, what school districts are best for living/school/diversity?

Also, how is the job market?
Well, first thing I'd do is ditch all that winter gear--you won't need that in Phoenix. :-)

I've heard about the scorpions down there too. Had a co-worker who moved to Phoenix that kept getting me to come down to visit her, but she'd be telling me about scorpions that she'd see in the bathtub, crossing the parking lot at the grocery store, and saying to check your shoes before you put them on, the blankets on the bed, etc and I thought forget that! LOL

Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM

7,376 posts, read 14,252,221 times
You'll probably run into more black widow spiders.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
You'll probably run into more black widow spiders.

That is just as bad! We had a LOT of those in WY surprisingly, even in the sub-zero temps....

I'm glad here, we just have raccoons, slugs, yellow jackets, and moles to contend with lol

We do have a large population of wolf spiders; especially in the summer time, but nothing that is deadly....

Old 02-06-2010, 10:06 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,159,306 times
Make sure you have cars. I'm not being funny. I once dated a gal who lived all her life in Manhattan and then moved to Arizona. She did not know how to drive and was 50ish. And she moved to a guest house on the edge of Tucson. The west is a driving culture. Not a mass transit culture. Although we want to change that by our added light rail between Tempe and downtown Phoenix!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Make sure you have cars. I'm not being funny. I once dated a gal who lived all her life in Manhattan and then moved to Arizona. She did not know how to drive and was 50ish. And she moved to a guest house on the edge of Tucson.
wow, that would suck!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:25 PM

8,685 posts, read 15,125,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
That is just as bad! We had a LOT of those in WY surprisingly, even in the sub-zero temps....

I'm glad here, we just have raccoons, slugs, yellow jackets, and moles to contend with lol

We do have a large population of wolf spiders; especially in the summer time, but nothing that is deadly....
I saw more scorpions in WY than I have here so far, here is 2 or 3 outside, there were many under dead logs there in WY, but they are smaller I think...

Old 02-06-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I saw more scorpions in WY than I have here so far, here is 2 or 3 outside, there were many under dead logs there in WY, but they are smaller I think...
That would have been truly rare then!
I only saw 2 in 24 yrs I lived there. One of them was when I went hill-climbing, and another one near a play ground when I was like 8 yrs old...yeah both of them were small.

One time, when I was like in the 2nd grade, a classmate of mine brought one for show-and-tell in a glass jar and she lived in an older housing area on the same side of town.

Here, you will only see them in the zoo. PetSmart and Petco used to sell them a few yrs back, but I think after someone bought a bunch of them and set like 30 of those things loose in a neighborhood, they stopped that. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't drown like they would 9 months of the year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area