U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 12:57 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,390,275 times

Advertisements

definitely not as much as the fiesta bowl (which estimates north of $100M of economic impact) - but much larger than a concert, which tends to be more of a regional thing - even big shows

you don't get the level of tourism and weeklong event type things

when the NBA All Star game was here they stated that the direct spending impact was around $35M and the overall economic impact could push $100M

The superbowl had an estimated $400M impact - it's just a different world type of event

wrestlemania is a good get though

will be more than a big concert show and less than a major sporting event showcase

nothing to sneeze at though and in a completely different world than when something like monster trucks or the PBR comes though town (or your everyday wrestling promotion that is shown weekly)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:14 PM

5,148 posts, read 5,135,274 times
You'll have quite a few events, not just Wrestlemania.

I'm sure Raw will still be in town the next night. A smackdown on the previous friday will probably be there. There is the Hall of Fame gathering. And there is supposed to be some big expos I already saw in the newspaper.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM

Yep. All that stuff is going on. They will have the "normal" shows downtown. There is the Hall of Fame event and they will set up an expo center out by UoP stadium leading up to the event (I think they call is Axxess or something like that - i've gotten presale info for it so I know it's there)

There will also be numerous parties and what not.

It wasn't too long ago there was someone from overseas on this board figuring out there travel plans for wrestlemania

Old 02-08-2010, 01:38 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,415,152 times
It's in phoenix? I don't watch wrestling and i have not seen any advertising for it locally.

I'm sure it will bring some money in, but i can't imagine the event would have any long standing impact. Just a good week or so for the service industry. They sure can use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
There are few things on TV that I can't bear to watch for more than a few moments, but wrestling is one of them. I'm shocked that it is popular and would seriously question the IQ of anyone who enjoys it. If by this post you are telling us that it is being shown in Phoenix, I can only say, I'm embarrassed to be associated with Phoenix. Soon may it pass ...

The only people I question the IQ of are those ignorant and arrogant enough to insinuate only stupid people could possibly enjoy something.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,464,018 times
The economic impacts of Wrestlemania in Glendale will be practically nonexistant or unnoticeable. The only people who will profit from it are the wrestlers, the WWE and its staff, the U of PHX Stadium and the U of Phoenix itself (naming rights). ZERO...let me repeat.....ZERO money will be seen by the city of Glendale for this one time circus, laughingly called 'wrestling'. And that applies to the other cities it has been held. And if anyone thinks for a single moment that pro wrestling is real, then I seriously question their IQ. I've been to Wrestlemania myself when it was in Indianapolis in 1992 when I lived there, and its as fake as all-get-out. IT just a SHOW and only a SHOW.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
That's pretty ignorant

Like it or not it's a huge economic driver - most cities cite an economic impact of around $40M - $50M

they'll probably put 70,000 people in the building - many from out of town

they also setup an exhibit around the stadium similar to the NFL experience .... that will draw a lot of people as well

people who will stay in hotels, eat in restaurants, rent cars, drink, go to the parties, etc
where's the proof??

Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM

I don't think anyone has contended that pro-wrestling is real since the mid 80s

and you want proof? - that's super easy

they'll sell about 70,000 tickets to wrestlemania and probably another 20,000 to 40,000 for the minor events

that alone will generate a good portion of cash for the cities in ticket sales, concessions taxes, etc

not to mention taxes collected on the establishments by the stadium - unless you contest that not a single person going to this event is coming from out of town or spending money in phoenix when they otherwise wouldn't

people will come into town, people will rent cars, buy gas, buy alchohol and cigarettes and sleep in hotesl (all heavily taxed)

who gives a rip if it's a show or only a show - it will fill the stadium and bring people to the city to spend money and that's a fact

Old 02-08-2010, 04:49 PM

5,148 posts, read 5,135,274 times
Cities hosting WrestleMania earn millions, report says

Old 02-08-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I don't think anyone has contended that pro-wrestling is real since the mid 80s

and you want proof? - that's super easy

they'll sell about 70,000 tickets to wrestlemania and probably another 20,000 to 40,000 for the minor events

that alone will generate a good portion of cash for the cities in ticket sales, concessions taxes, etc

not to mention taxes collected on the establishments by the stadium - unless you contest that not a single person going to this event is coming from out of town or spending money in phoenix when they otherwise wouldn't

people will come into town, people will rent cars, buy gas, buy alchohol and cigarettes and sleep in hotesl (all heavily taxed)

who gives a rip if it's a show or only a show - it will fill the stadium and bring people to the city to spend money and that's a fact
if holding events in Glendale does such wonders for the city, then where's the money?? how come the city is hurting for cash?? why are the people hurting?? why are they having so much budget problems and closing schools and laying off teachers?? As the saying goes, "There's a sucker born every minute." This event will do no more for Glendale then the rooster for the rising sun.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
so just because a newspaper--probably biased--says something makes it true? I dont care about empty rhetoric and words, only results and evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area