U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:10 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,390,275 times

Advertisements

name one school in glendale that has been closed - putting out false information doesn't bolster your arguement

Quote:
"They are going to bring a much needed infusion of revenue but also a lot of excitement," Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs said.
You can have a job as a data entry clerk making $10 and still hurt for cash - especially if they cut your hours .... doesn't mean that it isn't better than no job at all or a job that only pays minimum wage

yeah - the finances for the whole state are jacked up - as a state we are running deficits in the billions that must be closed

so even with an impact of $40M to the region on a one time event it's not going to be a cure all ..... no one is claiming it will be

but it will be a nice one time shot in the arm and provide some boost

$40M in impact is better than no impact - even if it doesn't cure all ills

hotels being sold out and requiring 5 day stays is a good thing - the hotel tax is very high and provides a good shot of revenue

at this point any revenue helps and this is definitely revenue in

i know you get off being the local curmudgeon, but feel free to open your eyes at any time

at first you state there is zero impact - then when it's shown how their is impact all you can state is that there are economic issues

well no kidding - these type of events do bring revenue, but they can't make up for decades of economic mismanagement, lack of diversified economy and revenue generators, etc

not even the superbowl could provide enough of a boost to offset diminished yearly tax receipts led by a decrease in property taxes, sales taxes, hotel taxes, rental car taxes and things like development fees which have dried up
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
so just because a newspaper--probably biased--says something makes it true? I dont care about empty rhetoric and words, only results and evidence.
What evidence?

Are the 70,000 people who will sit in that arena a mirage?

Is the renaissance hotel lying when they say they are sold out for that week?

Is the city, county and state going to all forego their cut of hotel taxes?

The tax rate for hotels in Glendale breaks down as follows: 5.6% to the city, 5.5% to the state and 1.77% to the county for a combined tax rate of 12.87%

The renaissance glendale has 320 rooms. Even if they charge an absurdly low average rate of $80 a night for that week (which I assure you it would be much, much higher) that is still $10.30 in tax per room per night. For the week that would equate to $23,063 in taxes generated by that one hotel.

This is a low end example for sure, but it's not difficult to connect the dots onto how revenue will be generated.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:31 PM

37,567 posts, read 47,949,747 times
Quote:
where's the proof??
You've never been one to let the facts get in the way of your opinions, but I posted this earlier. It is safe to assume that the impact here would be similar to previous venues in Houston and Detroit. Follow the link:

Cities hosting WrestleMania earn millions, report says

Old 02-08-2010, 05:34 PM

lets just say for example that only 60% of visitors come from outside the metro for this event that would be 46,200

even if they have on average 4 in a group that would be a need for 11,550 hotel rooms

and if they only stayed 2 nights with an average room rate of $100 (conservative for an event weekend in march.........) there would be a direct revenue of near $300,000 for just hotels alone

Now say these people conservatively end up renting 8,000 cars for those 3 days at a rate of $40 a day and a combined tax rate of 9.5% you have about another $100,000 in direct revenue

Restaurants and bars have a 7.5% combined tax rate in Phoenix - 9.5% combined tax rate in glendale - say those 46,200 can be by on only $30 for all meals for 3 days and we split the difference on the tax rate there is another $350,000 in tax revenue brought in by their purchases in restaurants/bars

So there is a very conservative direct revenue of $750,000 - then throw in the side impact, such as restaurants, rental car facilities and hotels needing to increase their staffing hours and operating at a more robust level putting increased wages in the hands of locals - which will net more paid in payroll taxes and provide more purchasing power you get even more impact

obviously these #s are very conservative and for example only

but ray charles could see the impact

Old 02-08-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You've never been one to let the facts get in the way of your opinions, but I posted this earlier. It is safe to assume that the impact here would be similar to previous venues in Houston and Detroit. Follow the link:

Cities hosting WrestleMania earn millions, report says
don't you know, if it doesn't fit his worldview it's obviously biased and without evidence and results!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 PM

10,719 posts, read 19,520,777 times
It's obvious that people who are criticizing it are not informed about Wrestlemania. It is the Superbowl of Wrestling. I don't watch Wrestling but I don't see how it is any different than Mixed Martial Arts, X-Games, NASCAR or any other cheesy event. Sorry but I don't get those "sports" either. I know wrestling is fake but it's a lot of drama that entertains people. Sorry but people are entertained by less. It is a huge revenue event and they will easily put 70K people in those seats. Wrestling is a billion dollar industry so anyone who says it won't bring money to the valley or that people should be embarrassed are clueless. It's kind of like criticizing LA because they produced a lame Rock film there. I think the Rock is incredibly lame but they still made the Toothfairy there.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,148,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
Since I'm "locale", and you're asking, I think it sounds ridiculous. Never heard of it. I stay far away from anything with the words 'wrestle' or 'mania'.
Understood man. Are you cool with Phoenix being chosen for the event? Its basically a sporting event, but they claim it brings in money to the markets they are in. So I was curious.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:40 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,523,748 times
I know of 2 people at my work that are going to Wrestlemania and are paying over $100 a pop per ticket. There have been several thread from out of towners that are traveling here not just for the event but for all the activities that go with it. So to say it won't have any impact is a little off base. Who care if you live wrestling or not it does fit your demographic so move on and be happy for the revenue jump.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:02 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,148,822 times
Quote:
so just because a newspaper--probably biased--says something makes it true? I dont care about empty rhetoric and words, only results and evidence.
lol why are you so angry? Its just an event. Large groups of people having a good time. Look folks my reason for asking is because where I live is getting the event in 2011. I wasn't trying to insult the fan or nonfan, hey im not a wrestling fan, more so a PGA type of guy. Im talking economics.

Old 02-09-2010, 10:55 AM

2,897 posts, read 9,991,566 times
I think the South Park episode about wrestling describes the "sport" perfectly. Wrestling is a bunch of actors who happen to be in shape.

South Park Episode Player - W.T.F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area