U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM

824 posts, read 2,250,199 times

Advertisements

Most Phoenix area hotels with higher occupancy than a year or two ago (if any) are undoubtedly renting their rooms at a lower rate than they were before (with the possible exception of some special events).

As for Wrestlemania, the event is going to take a steel chair and beat the recession down. In the immortal words of Randy Savage, "Oh yeah!"

Quote:
"I'm shocked that it is popular and would seriously question the IQ of anyone who enjoys it ".
My IQ is in the 99th percentile and I enjoyed WWF events on television and in person well into my college years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,384,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
No, it's not, if anything it's up from last year. 2009 was a bad year for hospitality at the beginning of the year, but picked up and has been steady for the last 6-8 months, like I said many hotels have been selling out on a regular basis.

this is booming?!

Quote:
For the first 11 months of 2009, Scottsdaleā€™s occupancy was down 9.2 percent, room rate was down 19.7 percent, and revenue per available room was down 27.1 percent compared with the same period in 2008.
Scottsdale hotel occupancy up, but rates continue decline - Phoenix Business Journal:

Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM

25,098 posts, read 37,950,427 times
Off topic a bit but, it has just been announced that the Ritz Carlton at Lake Las Vegas is closing its doors.

Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM

652 posts, read 2,612,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
My IQ is in the 99th percentile and I enjoyed WWF events on television and in person well into my college years.
I think it was a rhetorical question

Old 02-09-2010, 05:47 PM

9,092 posts, read 18,384,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Off topic a bit but, it has just been announced that the Ritz Carlton at Lake Las Vegas is closing its doors.
Wow - that place was gorgeous

I remember my office head at my old job was being put up there as part of a conference ... she did some sales calls with us during the day and then we parted ways

Just dropping her off and having a parting drink made me jealous

Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 129,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Is it being purchased by another hotel chain or is it just shutting down indefinitely? The latter would be a lot worse than the former. Being from Vegas I know that it is a beautiful place.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:37 PM

25,098 posts, read 37,950,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDude View Post
Is it being purchased by another hotel chain or is it just shutting down indefinitely? The latter would be a lot worse than the former. Being from Vegas I know that it is a beautiful place.
It is being shuttered - closed down - totally closed and not sold

Old 02-10-2010, 12:07 AM

824 posts, read 2,250,199 times
Quote:
"I think it was a rhetorical question"
I am pretty sure that it was a cheap shot at the intelligence of millions of pro wrestling fans.

I attended around 10 events from ages 12 to 20, and watched it regularly on television (alas, I never attended a Wrestlemania). As I watched less television and my interests shifted, I stopped watching but still recall it fondly.

I consider it a well-rounded adolescence and early adulthood to have enjoyed both legitimate theater and a little George "The Animal" Steele. At one wrestling match, I even sat next to baseball great Dave Winfield, who was apparently a fan.

I am too frugal to pay 100 bucks for even a great hockey ticket. But maybe I will check for something cheaper. Of course, I do not know any of the current characters.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:44 AM

687 posts, read 1,867,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Like I said before I have experienced this all first hand, and business is booming for the hospitality industry.
2009 called 'the worst' for Valley hotels

Quote:
The Phoenix area, traditionally a corporate-meeting hot spot and big winter-vacation destination, suffered double-digit declines in every major industry measure. It was among the worst performers in the country in each category,
According to the article, it does appear hotels saw a promising January, but the prior 12 months were not kind. Booming?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:37 PM

1,123 posts, read 2,899,700 times
I met some people while I was in Europe, that come to the U.S. every year for Wrestlemania. It wouldn't be my first choice for holiday plans, but it will be fun to hook up with them again, since it's in Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area