Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:29 PM

6 posts, read 11,457 times

Advertisements

Hello, new to the forum here, and considering moving from Southern California to NorthEastern Phoenix. I have spent some in Phoenix and the heat is not a problem.

My main motivation for this move is to slow down my pace in life, and for a better quality of life due to a cheaper cost of living for my family.

So I am curious, how is the job market in Phoenix right now for finance/accounting professionals?

I am also curious where the finance/accounting jobs are located? Are they mostly in downtown, Scottsdale, or spread all over the valley?

Thanks!

Joe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 11:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,657,637 times
downtown does have a financial district, but there are giant financial establishments all over the the valley. Check out chase, bank of america, and wells fargo.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

98 posts, read 285,306 times
I don't know what you made back in CA but don't expect near the pay you were receiving. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Who knows.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:33 AM

178 posts, read 599,192 times
It seems that there are LOTS of folks posting on here--new ones every day--that are asking about the job market in Phoenix. I wonder if this is happening on all of the forums? Phoenix is not immune from the same problems that the rest of the country is having. In fact, it might be worse.

I don't want to sound crass or discouraging, but really--the job market is not good. The Phoenix area experienced one of the biggest housing booms in the country during recent years. A large number of those homes are now owned by the bank and the previous owners are looking for work, just like those who want to move here.

It isn't good.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:15 AM

652 posts, read 2,701,432 times
For what it's worth - I am looking for legal work in Phoenix and the job market is terrible. If other professional fields are as bad as the legal field I would recommend you be cautious about your move.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:35 AM

41 posts, read 133,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
For what it's worth - I am looking for legal work in Phoenix and the job market is terrible. If other professional fields are as bad as the legal field I would recommend you be cautious about your move.
What kind of legal work are you looking for Nick? I will graduate from law school in a few months and I assume that finding a job as a lawyer in Phoenix will be pretty tough. Bummer.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:37 AM

41 posts, read 133,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztoga View Post
It seems that there are LOTS of folks posting on here--new ones every day--that are asking about the job market in Phoenix. I wonder if this is happening on all of the forums? Phoenix is not immune from the same problems that the rest of the country is having. In fact, it might be worse.

I don't want to sound crass or discouraging, but really--the job market is not good. The Phoenix area experienced one of the biggest housing booms in the country during recent years. A large number of those homes are now owned by the bank and the previous owners are looking for work, just like those who want to move here.

It isn't good.
This might not be a bad thing though. Yeah, the entire country is hurting right now but if a lot of people are conisdering moving to Phoenix then that means that Phoenix might get a little boost in their economy first. More people means a need for more services, which means more jobs. Heres to keeping our fingers crossed.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:16 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,208,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoeu00 View Post
I don't know what you made back in CA but don't expect near the pay you were receiving. Maybe I'm wrong, though. Who knows.
Yes but the cost of lving is far higher in CA. That 10K drop in salary won't be felt when everything is cheaper here

Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM

98 posts, read 285,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDude View Post
This might not be a bad thing though. Yeah, the entire country is hurting right now but if a lot of people are conisdering moving to Phoenix then that means that Phoenix might get a little boost in their economy first. More people means a need for more services, which means more jobs. Heres to keeping our fingers crossed.
Well, that's an interesting concept. I believe that people have been first looking at how cheap you can buy/rent a house right now in Phx metro (with the real estate fallout), then worrying about getting a job after. Been seeing way too many threats lately with people asking about moving to Phoenix.

There are just way too many people out of work right now. I know this IT friend who worked for Univ. of Phx (Apollo Group) making over $100k who was laid off a few months ago... he's still looking. I'm shocked they paid that much in the 1st place! Another close relative just lost his construction related sales job doing in January (no surprise there, though). If they don't find jobs soon, they will probably be losing their homes, too. I don't know what to say.

Edit: going back to your post, you forget to note that all those people moving here will need jobs, too... adding to the existing fierce competition.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:12 PM

652 posts, read 2,701,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixDude View Post
What kind of legal work are you looking for Nick? I will graduate from law school in a few months and I assume that finding a job as a lawyer in Phoenix will be pretty tough. Bummer.
I graduated in 2009 from law school and am currently a staff attorney - I'm looking for an AG, DA or PD position in the Phoenix area. I've seen a few openings but most request at least 2 years experience.

A lot of big firm attorneys have been laid off and are filtering down to government jobs making it very difficult for new attorneys with little experience to get jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area