Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 06:06 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

I think that there are going to be critters anywhere you go. One way a person can avoid most of that problem is by using weatherstripping or sealing every and any type of hole with caulking, crevice and opening you can find. Under the sinks, doors and windows,any gaps in between walls and cabinets, any little opening in walls, inside and out, anywhere there might be opportunity for anything to get in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 07:20 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Welcome to these forums LA Woman.

I've seen "Scropions" plenty of times, the last time was at The Cricket Pavillion, and I like Rudolf Schenker's style on lead guitar..

About those pesky little critters, if you don't bother them, they won't bother you. All pest control companies do have stuff that keeps scorpions away from your home.

A friend of mine was stung by a scorpion in 1986 because he left his tennis shoes out on the ground when we went bike riding on 115th Ave and Camelback, of course the scorpion found a cool place to hide and when my friend stuck his foot inside the shoe he got stung. So, like many have mentioned here, be careful when putting your hands or feet into places where scorpions would most likely hide, and if you're an adult and get stung, you'll get nauseous, but they can be dangerous for pets and small kids and medical attention will be required if a child or pet is stung.

Old 06-04-2007, 10:15 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
The Bark Scorpion does like to climb on and hide under the bark of trees. It is normal for them to do this and they do like to hide in wood. The bark scorpion is the only common "climbing scorpion" and does not normally like to burrow.

Of course Scorpions can hide anywhere. I did mention they can be under clothes or in shoes too.
Its true that Centruroides species (aka "bark scorpions") are arboreal (like to climb), but youre hardly ever going to find them in palm trees. Sure some might climb up there, but I doubt theyll stick around long. Places you will find them are under logs, rocks, junk, etc. Most prefer to cling to the bottom of a surface, not on a vertical surface. If you want to find lots of scorpions, here's a trick: take an old burlap sack and get it damp with water, then spread it out on the ground at night in your yard. Scorpions are drawn to moisture and a good hiding place. One guy I know did that turned up, on average, over 10 scorpions a night.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:54 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
This has to be one of the whinier "It was so much nicer in (fill in the town/state you came from)" forums on C-D. Nevertheless, I have yet to see a post where someone wanted to leave because of the scorpions. That should tell you that they are not not nearly the problem you imagine them to be.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:34 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
This has to be one of the whinier "It was so much nicer in (fill in the town/state you came from)" forums on C-D. Nevertheless, I have yet to see a post where someone wanted to leave because of the scorpions. That should tell you that they are not not nearly the problem you imagine them to be.
Exactly. Scorpions are great creatures, but noone takes the time to understand them. Theyd rather live with the horror stories/wives tales that surround them instead.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:29 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,451,406 times
Scottsdale has the highest concentration of scorpions -- the type that like to hang around in bars and clubs, comb over their bald spots, wear their shirts untucked like tunics, and try to impress you with tales of their high incomes.

As for bark scorpions, they tend to be most plentiful in newly developed areas where the ground has been stirred up, but no place is immune. Regular pest control service to eliminate the scorpions' food supply is a better strategy than trying to decide where to live based on scorpion population.

Oh, and I don't dislike Scottsdale, but I do think its reputation as the nightlife center of the area is exaggerated. You may find more down-to-earth places to hang out and people to meet in other parts of the Metro Area such as Tempe, Chandler, and Central Phoenix.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:53 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Scorpions are no worse a problem here than the black widows in California. It's way over hyped. Yes they exist, mostly far out in the newly devloped disturbed areas. You can always get inexpensive pesticide service to take care of any problems. I'd worry more about road rage than scorpions any day.
Chandler, Scottsdale or No Glendale are some recomendations to party and live close to malls and enjoy life quite nicely.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,651,499 times
I think a lot of people freak out way too much over Scorpions. I am more concerned about Black Widows and that my fumbling fingers will stick themselves in one of their often hidden spots - not Scorpions. Scorpions are not blood thirsty monsters. You have a better chance of accidentally brushing up along a Cholla and getting its needles in you while walking or hiking than you do getting stung - and Cholla needles realllllly hurts! Not the most comfy feeling pulling them out (if you get all of them out, time consuming).

If you concerned about Scorpions now, wait until you see how we drive. You'll forget all about the Scorpions.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:36 AM

96 posts, read 441,886 times
I have lived in Arizona for 22 years, and I saw my first scorpion just under 2 years ago. It wasn't long after I moved into my new home that there was one hanging out on my wall in the living room. That was the only one I've seen in the daytime. I had one in my kitchen sink, one outside on the wall of the back patio, one in the garage (again on the wall) and my husband killed one just tonight. That one was all the way up on the wall above my front door. They haven't been nearly as scary as I imagined; we just take the basic precautions. We live where there is a lot of construction, so we expected to see some wildlife.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:50 AM

319 posts, read 494,014 times
The high plains, around Denver, is magnificent for fear of critters. Probably the least amount of bugs in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area