U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2007, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 8,591 times

Advertisements

I am a single middle aged woman, who would like to know which area of Phoenix has the least amount of Scorpions, as I am deathly afraid of them! Because I will be living alone, I will have to kill them MYSELF, and that is a scary thought! I also would like to know which city would be best for me socially, as I like to dance, and meet new people (especially men around my age). I would like to be near Scottsdale, as I've been told that that is the area where I would want to socialize. But I do not want to pay the "Scottsdale" prices to rent or buy. I also want to be close to a mall, food shopping, and doctors. I am thinking about Chandler, would that be a good place??

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM

647 posts, read 3,213,793 times
Chandler's great, but if I were young and single I'd prefer Tempe by ASU or Scottsdale. I'd forgo square footage for location, in that situation. Also it depends on where you'll be working.

As for scorpians, there are SOOOO many threads here about them. Do a search for "scorpians" and you'll see a bunch. I've been here almost 4 yrs and never seen one (knock wood) and I don't know anyone who has either.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,143,743 times
Chandler is nice but the Nightlife is in Scottsdale and Tempe.

All the Scorpions talk is a a lot of hype and a bit of truth. In my experiences, Scorpions are not a problem to deal with... Easy to kill. I have a harder time killing centipedes.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:44 AM

53,793 posts, read 32,196,366 times
Actually, scorpions are much easier to kill than rattlesnakes..

Old 05-31-2007, 11:59 AM

20,004 posts, read 73,853,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful1 View Post
I am a single middle aged woman, who would like to know which area of Phoenix has the least amount of Scorpions, as I am deathly afraid of them! Because I will be living alone, I will have to kill them MYSELF, and that is a scary thought! I also would like to know which city would be best for me socially, as I like to dance, and meet new people (especially men around my age). I would like to be near Scottsdale, as I've been told that that is the area where I would want to socialize. But I do not want to pay the "Scottsdale" prices to rent or buy. I also want to be close to a mall, food shopping, and doctors. I am thinking about Chandler, would that be a good place??

Ive replied to about 1,158,096 of these threads. LOL Instead of giving you info, Ill give you some names of things to Google (make sure you learn about the critters before you move). I keep them as pets and study them in my spare time, even spend time all across the states photographing them and observing them in the wild. If you have any questions, let me know.

Crotalus atrox (actually, Google 'Crotalidae range/species')
Scolopendra heros heros
Scolopendra heros arizonensis
Centruroides exilicauda
Hadrurus arizonensis
Kukulcania arizonica
Smeringurus mesaensis
Vaejovis smeringurus
Aphonopelma
Tailless whipscorpion (P. mexicanus)
Latrodectus hesperus
Solifugid

Learn friend from foe, only one species of scorpion (C. exilicauda) in AZ is considered potentially lethal. Learn how to ID them, try not to kill the rest, theyre pretty harmless. They dine on cockroaches which carry diseases.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:07 AM

15 posts, read 51,749 times
central phoenix or older parts of scottsdale - they're close to everything, there's treed and greenery, and for the most part, no scorpions. scorpions are more prevalent in the desert areas especially near many of our 'washes' and 'preserves'.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:45 PM

338 posts, read 1,558,148 times
I know Scorpions like to hang out in palm trees so if you want to minimize the risk of seeing them, I would not have a palm tree in my yard.

Also, people that live near golf courses seem to have more Scorpions than others.

Also, the scorpions will come out from under newly dug dirt so a lot of new construction houses may have a scorp or too.

I would not worry about it though. I have lived in the Phoenix area for 27 years and I have not seen that many of them. One was in our brand new house when I was a kid. Another one I saw when I was watching my boss' house, another was in my friend's boot. It stung her after being in there a few hours. She was just fine though. A friend of mine had about 10 crawling up her wall near the stairs to her apartment. (that was a freak thing) I lived in the same complex but on the other side of the golf course and I never saw one.

If you are really worried or concerned, just use basic precautions such as shake your shoes before putting them on your feet and shake your clothes out and don't put your hand in dark corners. Also, scorpions like wood so don't touch firewood or wood boards without gloves.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:41 PM

4,299 posts, read 14,322,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful1 View Post

I wouldn't worry myself into a tizzy. I've lived all over the Phoenix area for 19 years and I've never seen a scorpion once. I do however know many people that have seen them or have had some issues with them in their homes. You don't have to live in a desert area to have a scorpion problem. I worked with a woman who lived in Dobson Ranch in Mesa and had them for years. It's really a crap shoot.

If you are a middle aged woman looking for a man your age I doubt most middle aged men in Scottsdale are looking for middle aged woman, they want young chicks.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:32 PM

20,004 posts, read 73,853,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
I know Scorpions like to hang out in palm trees so if you want to minimize the risk of seeing them, I would not have a palm tree in my yard.
They dont like to hang out in palm trees. A few might have strangely climbed onto one, but thats definitely not routine for them to do that. Scorpions are nocturnal, during the daytime they hide underground or in any dark place they can find. Palm trees do not really offer any sanctuary, nor prey theyd be interested in eating.

Aslo, they dont like wood per se, but they can and will hide there. So youre correct in saying that you should check wood piles for them (and rattlers and widows too), but they dont seek out wood, they hide anyplace they can. Ive flipped rusted pop cans and found them in there. Ive even found them under abandoned clothes.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:32 PM

338 posts, read 1,558,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
They dont like to hang out in palm trees. A few might have strangely climbed onto one, but thats definitely not routine for them to do that. Scorpions are nocturnal, during the daytime they hide underground or in any dark place they can find. Palm trees do not really offer any sanctuary, nor prey theyd be interested in eating.

Aslo, they dont like wood per se, but they can and will hide there. So youre correct in saying that you should check wood piles for them (and rattlers and widows too), but they dont seek out wood, they hide anyplace they can. Ive flipped rusted pop cans and found them in there. Ive even found them under abandoned clothes.
The Bark Scorpion does like to climb on and hide under the bark of trees. It is normal for them to do this and they do like to hide in wood. The bark scorpion is the only common "climbing scorpion" and does not normally like to burrow.

Of course Scorpions can hide anywhere. I did mention they can be under clothes or in shoes too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>