U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 PM

22 posts, read 109,054 times

Advertisements

We have a baby that's about to start crawling and no fence around our pool (except around the property line). We had decided on the mesh fence until someone told us they were cheap and not safe. Is this true? The sample we were shown seemed to be good quality and we liked how the mesh is low maintenance compared to the iron (jail-like) fence which we still have not ruled out. Being new to AZ we've never actually seen the mesh up and complete so I was wondering what people thought about the look in addition to quality and safety.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 09:31 AM

3,806 posts, read 11,323,327 times
What about one of those covers that rolls out automatically over the pool? Not sure how it compares in price but 1) it looks much much better, I think fences around the pool look terrible and 2) it's safer I think. You always see stories on the news of how a child got past the fence...someone forgot the gate open or they opened it (when they are older of course).

Old 02-24-2010, 09:43 AM

36,665 posts, read 46,906,817 times
I have the standard fence you call "prison". Put it up when the kids were small. I did my own install so the cost was fairly reasonable. We sometimes think about taking it down, but like the look, the separation it gives the pool from the other areas of the yard. It makes a good place to lock up the dogs too when guests are over and we are not using the pool. Also good for keeping the canines out. Pool fences are a resale plus if you are in a family neighborhood. You can always take them down, but they cost to put up.

I would never substitute a pool cover, an automatic door/window closers or some flimsy temporary fence for a solid, non-climbable fence with a dependable, magnetic locking automatic closure with a gate open alarm. Pool covers, especially, are not passive - I don't know that they meet code. Phone or doorbell rings and you forget/neglect to close it and you invite tragedy. Fences with gates that work are your best assurance. You're talking about your kids lives here. Don't go cheap or worry about how it looks, especially if you have boys. Boys will try every way they can think of to get into that pool.

If you do go for a conventional fence I would recommend aluminum if you can afford it. I have steel and it does rust, even here in the desert and so requires periodic maintenance to keep it looking good. I don't like maintenance.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-24-2010 at 09:56 AM..

Old 02-24-2010, 11:26 AM

178 posts, read 571,174 times
I have four kids, two dogs, and a mesh removable fence. It is wonderful!!! I've had it for about six years now and I've never had a problem with it. We like to entertain and I love that we can take it down to allow guests to more easily pass to and from the pool.

As with any fence, the key to pool safety is supervision.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 AM

203 posts, read 466,157 times
We got a pool net instead of a fence. It's cheaper than putting up a fence (unless you're doing a fence by yourself), much safer than a fence, and doesn't disrupt the looks of your backyard.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM

12,189 posts, read 19,951,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I would never substitute a pool cover, an automatic door/window closers or some flimsy temporary fence for a solid, non-climbable fence with a dependable, magnetic locking automatic closure with a gate open alarm. Pool covers, especially, are not passive - I don't know that they meet code.
The automated pool covers absolutely meet code. If you have one, that is the only safety feature you need to prevent unauthorized entry. The fences as you know have a ton of specific regulations for height, self closing gates, specific kinds latches, etc. When the pool cover is rolled closed, there's absolutely no way for a toddler to gain entry. The pool is completely sealed.

The automated pool covers do a LOT more for a pool owner as well. For example they keep bad stuff out like leaves, dirt, sand, and critters. They keep good stuff in like keeping water from evaporating and keep chlorine in. Your pool maintenance with an automated cover is also drastically reduced. There's nothing like hitting the switch and have the cover rolled back to expose a sparkling clean pool every time. We would never own another pool without one.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:06 PM

36,665 posts, read 46,906,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
The automated pool covers absolutely meet code. If you have one, that is the only safety feature you need to prevent unauthorized entry. The fences as you know have a ton of specific regulations for height, self closing gates, specific kinds latches, etc. When the pool cover is rolled closed, there's absolutely no way for a toddler to gain entry. The pool is completely sealed.

The automated pool covers do a LOT more for a pool owner as well. For example they keep bad stuff out like leaves, dirt, sand, and critters. They keep good stuff in like keeping water from evaporating and keep chlorine in. Your pool maintenance with an automated cover is also drastically reduced. There's nothing like hitting the switch and have the cover rolled back to expose a sparkling clean pool every time. We would never own another pool without one.
I have nothing against the pool covers or whether they are effective, keep the pool clean etc. But, keeping leaves out of the pool is not the priority here. The problem with them and temporary (removable mesh) barriers is not the technology - it is the owner. You MUST hit the switch to make them close. You are required to perform a conscious act under all circumstances to achieve the effectiveness of the device. If you walk away to tend to business, check on the doorbell, get your other kid who just fell off the swing, whatever, and you do NOT push the switch you have a disaster waiting to happen. Same thing with mesh. Sure, it is great - you can take it off when the guests arrive. But if you don't put in on each and every time you leave the pool unattended, no matter how momentarily, you may find Junior on the bottom when you get back.

The best method, bar none, is a fixed non-climbable fence with a gate that closes and locks automatically, in other words a passive barrier system that allows and requires minimal interference. Covers and such rely on making no mistakes, no mental errors, no distractions. If someone has sufficient confidence that they will not ever screw up, forget or neglect, then maybe a cover is a good choice. I find human error is too easy for me, and the system that minimizes the chances of that is the system that I would want for my family.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-24-2010 at 12:17 PM..

Old 02-24-2010, 12:59 PM

22 posts, read 109,054 times
We have ruled out the cover idea and the iron and mesh fences are both still in the running. When the mesh fence people came out it seemed to be pretty safe. The gate had magnets inside and shut automatically. It had a lock but that had to be manually locked by key. However, when shut normally it was just difficult enough to open- a young child wouldn't be able to do since the lift to open was at the top of the fence.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM

3,152 posts, read 5,288,771 times
The previous owners of our house had a removable mesh fence. I took it down immediately as we no longer have children around on a regular basis. I have put it back up a couple of times when we have had our granddaughter visit. It seems very solid. My major criticism is that it fits so tight that taking it down and/or putting it back up is a major hassle that takes a bit of time. We had a regular metal fence in our previous house when the kids were young, then removed it when they got old enough to be trusted. I think that I would go that way again if the situation presented itself.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:39 PM

12,189 posts, read 19,951,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have nothing against the pool covers or whether they are effective, keep the pool clean etc. But, keeping leaves out of the pool is not the priority here. The problem with them and temporary (removable mesh) barriers is not the technology - it is the owner. You MUST hit the switch to make them close. You are required to perform a conscious act under all circumstances to achieve the effectiveness of the device. If you walk away to tend to business, check on the doorbell, get your other kid who just fell off the swing, whatever, and you do NOT push the switch you have a disaster waiting to happen. Same thing with mesh. Sure, it is great - you can take it off when the guests arrive. But if you don't put in on each and every time you leave the pool unattended, no matter how momentarily, you may find Junior on the bottom when you get back.

The best method, bar none, is a fixed non-climbable fence with a gate that closes and locks automatically, in other words a passive barrier system that allows and requires minimal interference. Covers and such rely on making no mistakes, no mental errors, no distractions. If someone has sufficient confidence that they will not ever screw up, forget or neglect, then maybe a cover is a good choice. I find human error is too easy for me, and the system that minimizes the chances of that is the system that I would want for my family.
I'm not really following your logic. Given the "your other kid fell off the swingset" scenario, you have the same problem. Namely, your kids in the pool would have to be removed from the pool and put outside the fence while you attend to the kid who fell of the swing. So with an automated cover, you remove the kids from the pool, and press the button to close it up. I really don't see a material difference here, save for the few seconds it takes to wait for the pool to close. Either way, the kid who fell off the swing isn't going to get immediate attention. The doorbell scenario is also not realistic. Who can hear a doorbell from the pool? The bottom line is that you don't leave kids unattended in the pool. The difference between managing that with a fence or an auto pool cover is insignificant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area