Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,060,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
We are looking forward to more diversity than we have here, so that's a plus. But we want a fairly peaceful, safe school. Violence would freak my girls out, they are pretty sheltered in that regard.

uhhhhhhhh.....probably little diversity in N Scotts!!!!!....the school admins may be trying, but I don't know....can you go with a private school?....cliques have always existed in schools....I hope the girls are outgoing, but unpretentious....less of all that attitude in Chandler and Gilbert!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 08:25 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Actually we live in an affluent area right now so all this is pretty common to us. Range Rovers,Hummers, Mercedes Wagons line the carpool lane. But its balanced by lots of middle class stuff too. And the Midwest ethic stops lots of that "Super Sweet 16" crap we see on tv.The kids are pretty nice here.

The high end retail is for me to work in, not buy! All I ask of life is to shop at Trader Joes once more as I did in CA...and I can do that in Gilbert or Scottsdale,so I'll be good.

We are not spending $750G thats for sure. Maybe the homes I have seen for under $400 G are not what they appear. Large home means2700+, large lot means at least 10,000 but many are larger. Need updates, no granite, etc.
Since you're in that 400K or less price range, do not buy anything until you check out the Ocotillo Master Planned Community in Chandler. It is roughly the same commute as the other two, you would just stay on the 101 South and then exit at Price Road, and go South a few miles. It's an award winning master plan with a golf course and lakes, and is within 3-4 miles of Chandler Fashion Center (upscale shopping) or 6-7 miles to Casa Paloma. There's also starting to be high end retail around the Ocotillo community itself. Lots of high end 1-3 million dollar houses, and starter homes in the 240-250K range. There's some large houses on large lots listed right now, and I think they are in your price range. It also feeds into Hamilton High School, one of the top High Schools in the state. Look up Chandler on google maps, and then search for Ocotillo to get an idea of location.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:26 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,416,255 times
I wouldn't go as far to say that Chanlder is the same commute, it's much further.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
I wouldn't go as far to say that Chanlder is the same commute, it's much further.
You would be wrong, look at mapquest

Old 02-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
You would be wrong, look at mapquest
No, maybe you should take your own advice.

Hayden and Mcdowell to North Scottsdale (say Kierland Commons area) is about 12-13 miles. From there to the Ocotillo Community is about 19 miles. 6-7 miles isn't much, but will make a huge difference in their commute, especially coming from Chandler it takes a good 30 minutes to get this area from Chandler in the morning, coming from north scottsdale will take less than 20.

Plus north Scottsdale has much more to do, and you're not stuck on the outskirts of town.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
No, maybe you should take your own advice.

Hayden and Mcdowell to North Scottsdale (say Kierland Commons area) is about 12-13 miles. From there to the Ocotillo Community is about 19 miles. 6-7 miles isn't much, but will make a huge difference in their commute, especially coming from Chandler it takes a good 30 minutes to get this area from Chandler in the morning, coming from north scottsdale will take less than 20.

Plus north Scottsdale has much more to do, and you're not stuck on the outskirts of town.

I've got 17-18 miles to Ocotillo, and about 15 miles to DC Ranch, which is the area that I categorize as the southernmost point in "North Scottsdale" (since it goes further North several miles from there). Kierland Commons is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale, but some might call that area immediately to the East North Scottsdale. Besides, you said Chandler is much further, not Ocotillo, and Ocotillo isn't even more than 2-3 miles further than North Scottsdale.

North Scottsdale (what I call North Scottsdale) is boring. I built houses up there and spent plenty of time there. It's mostly older empty nesters or people with 2nd/3rd/4th homes that are vacant half the time. I wouldn't say there is "more to do". Certainly in Old Town Scottsdale, but not it North Scottsdale. It's beautiful but lame.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
I've got 17-18 miles to Ocotillo, and about 15 miles to DC Ranch, which is the area that I categorize as the southernmost point in "North Scottsdale" (since it goes further North several miles from there). Kierland Commons is in Phoenix, not Scottsdale, but some might call that area immediately to the East North Scottsdale. Besides, you said Chandler is much further, not Ocotillo, and Ocotillo isn't even more than 2-3 miles further than North Scottsdale.

North Scottsdale (what I call North Scottsdale) is boring. I built houses up there and spent plenty of time there. It's mostly older empty nesters or people with 2nd/3rd/4th homes that are vacant half the time. I wouldn't say there is "more to do". Certainly in Old Town Scottsdale, but not it North Scottsdale. It's beautiful but lame.
North Scottsdale begins at Shea, and the Kierland Commons is Scottsdale, not sure why you would think it's not, even the Westin hotel which is a few miles west of Scottsdale Rd is Scottsdale.

North Scottsdale is booming, there is a ton to do, the Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons have tons of dining and shopping, as with City North and Desert Ridge, which are also considered Scottsdale.

Sounds like you're just trying to sell them on Chandler because you live there and like it, but the truth is that there isn't much to do, and you're far from everything fun. The topic is about jobs, and the commute from Chandler would be much longer, like I said there is a 6-7 mile difference.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
North Scottsdale begins at Shea, and the Kierland Commons is Scottsdale, not sure why you would think it's not, even the Westin hotel which is a few miles west of Scottsdale Rd is Scottsdale.

North Scottsdale is booming, there is a ton to do, the Scottsdale Quarter and Kierland Commons have tons of dining and shopping, as with City North and Desert Ridge, which are also considered Scottsdale.

Sounds like you're just trying to sell them on Chandler because you live there and like it, but the truth is that there isn't much to do, and you're far from everything fun. The topic is about jobs, and the commute from Chandler would be much longer, like I said there is a 6-7 mile difference.
LOL, Kierland is not in Scottsdale and neither is Desert Ridge. Kierland just has a Scottsdale mailing address for marketing reasons. If that's the case then I can claim that Tempe establishments as being in Chandler. I don't know why you are getting so defensive on the topic, just recommending they check out Ocotillo before they purchase in Gilbert (I was responding to their post where they said they would probably choose Gilbert). I know you worked as a bellhop in Scottsdale and loved your apartment or house there, but there's certainly plenty of fun things to do in Chandler. Tons of fine dining in downtown Chandler and West Chandler, plenty of wine bars, breweries, clubs, shopping, golf courses, etc. I'm sure you would agree there's more "fun" things to do in Chandler than Gilbert? Besides, it sounds like they aren't necessarily into the same "fun" things that you are into. I know that my entertainment needs changed 2 years ago when I had a kid. And yeah, I live in Chandler, but not in Ocotillo. Just recommending they check out a great area in their price range that is just as easy a commute as Gilbert.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 PM

By the way, I don't ever remember passing through customs or seeing a sign saying "Welcome to NORTH Scottsdale" at Shea Boulevard. I guess the definition of where it begins is up for debate. But people in Troon North would chuckle at that.

And the reason I know that Kierland is in Phoenix, is because I personally know the developer, and he told me first hand that they were fighting to get a Scottsdale mailing address strictly for marketing reasons. It is served by Phoenix services. It's a great community, though. If I were ever to buy in the "Scottsdale area", that is one of the places I would look. I'm not a fan of the areas further North, although the houses are nicer.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:56 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,686,837 times
Quote:
LOL, Kierland is not in Scottsdale and neither is Desert Ridge. Kierland just has a Scottsdale mailing address for marketing reasons. .

Um, pretty much anything east of 56th street onwards is Scottsdale, so yes, Kierland is absolutely inside Scottsdale, as well as Scottsdale Quarter, not sure where you're getting these claims from? If you go west down Greenway, a few blocks from Kierland is a shopping plaza with a Fry's and a Safeway, they are all inside Scottsdale, so what exactly are you arguing?

For the record, I'm with Karma, Chandler is alright, but I far more prefer the activities and places to go inside Scottsdale. If they can get a great deal on property in North Scottsdale, that'd be the place to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area