Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 10:06 AM

860 posts, read 2,715,390 times

Advertisements

I do appreciate all the comments.

When you are moving and considering the needs of every family member it can be very difficult to get a feel for areas. People write on my local forum and the same two school districts are always recommended, especially the one in the more affluent suburb I live in with the second best schools in the state.Others respond with"hey what about this area/school district- I live there and its great!" and wish that their area would get more kudos.

But people want to mitigate their risks when they move with school age children and play it safe. And again, I am coming from somewhere more conservative. I do have my concerns about Scottsdale, but not so much how I'll be treated at a fancy hotel , more how my kids will like school, the safety of the area and my husband's commute.

North Chandler is an area I will consider, but I like older neighborhoods as long as they are safe. Pre-2000 I guess is older huh?

Are there any areas of central or N Scottsdale that are safe, older and established, and in a good school area? More artsy and quirky and less keeping up with the Jonses? If any one can think of such an area it would be helpful. But maybe I am just dreaming....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:27 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
And the reason I know that Kierland is in Phoenix, is because I personally know the developer, and he told me first hand that they were fighting to get a Scottsdale mailing address strictly for marketing reasons. It is served by Phoenix services.
The area of "Scottsdale 85254" received the Scottsdale mailing address long before Kierland was developed. Once upon a time, that part of town was unincorporated and the Post Office had to call it something. Kierland was an empty lot referred to as the Herberger property. The developer did not have to fight to get the Scottsdale mailing address, it was already there, in fact everything from there west to Tatum has the Scottsdale address.

It has always been a source of confusion. I was involved in a minor traffic altercation on Cactus in 85254 in 1980. We sought help at a home on the north side of Cactus and the homeowner called Scottsdale PD, who had to explain to the guy that he lived in Phoenix.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:28 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
The area of "Scottsdale 85254" received the Scottsdale mailing address long before Kierland was developed. Once upon a time, that part of town was unincorporated and the Post Office had to call it something. Kierland was an empty lot referred to as the Herberger property. The developer did not have to fight to get the Scottsdale mailing address, it was already there, in fact everything from there west to Tatum has the Scottsdale address.

It has always been a source of confusion. I was involved in a minor traffic altercation on Cactus in 85254 in 1980. We sought help at a home on the north side of Cactus and the homeowner called Scottsdale PD, who had to explain to the guy that he lived in Phoenix.
Maybe "fight" is the wrong word. I just know in the conversation that I had with the developer, he wanted to be sure to have the Scottsdale address, not Phoenix. Perhaps he was talking about asking the AZDRE if it was OK to list the location as "Scottsdale" in marketing materials back then. Not sure, but it was a small conversation we were having about the development.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Keep in mind that when people are referring to Gilbert they are essentially talking about South East Gilbert because that is the nicest, newest and most upscale area of Gilbert with Val Vista Lakes, San Tan Village area and Mercy-Gilbert hospital. Northwest Gilbert is relatively old and really just an extension of Mesa. If your husband is working in South Scottsdale, I would rather look at South Tempe or North Chandler as they are also upscale (BMW/Mercedes/Audi dealerships, Whole Foods, Chandler Mall) and it's much closer to South Scottsdale than Gilbert.
Val Vista Lakes in actually in North Gilbert, just a little South of US 60. It's a VERY nice neighborhood with one of the best shopping centers in the East Valley to the West with an AJ's and lots of restaurants (Dana something). My one and only problem with this community is it's very close proximity to not so nice parts of Mesa just on the North side of the freeway. People that live there have probably not had any problems, but that would be one of my concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
North Chandler is an area I will consider, but I like older neighborhoods as long as they are safe. Pre-2000 I guess is older huh?
Northwest Chandler and South Tempe were primarily built between 1986 and 1998, with some newer and some older than that range. Typically, those homes built 20 years ago will have larger lots. It is a great location, with homes ranging from about $175K for the smallest gemini style homes up to mansions worth $10 Million or more.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Val Vista Lakes in actually in North Gilbert, just a little South of US 60. It's a VERY nice neighborhood with one of the best shopping centers in the East Valley to the West with an AJ's and lots of restaurants (Dana something). My one and only problem with this community is it's very close proximity to not so nice parts of Mesa just on the North side of the freeway. People that live there have probably not had any problems, but that would be one of my concerns.
I don't see how that area is more proximal to the central valley since it's really far east however close it might be to the 60. I have an office in that area and I don't feel like it has any connection to the central valley and I wouldn't recommend someone living there if they work in South Scottsdale, it's pretty far. And I agree that area is proximal to some of the best shopping in the East Valley as it is close to San Tan Village, Superstition area and that trendy little shopping area off of Baseline and Val Vista with the Apple Store and Ra Sushi....Dana Ranch I think?? However, the problem is the distance from the central valley. Even though it is proximal to the 60, it's pretty far east on the 60.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-02-2010 at 02:41 PM..

Old 03-02-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't see how that area is more proximal to the central valley since it's really far east however north it might be. And I agree that area is proximal to some of the best shopping in the East Valley as it is close to San Tan Village, Superstition area and that trendy little shopping area off of Baseline and Val Vista with the Apple Store and Ra Sushi....Dana Ranch I think?? However, the problem is the distance from the central valley. Even though it is proximal to the 60, it's pretty far east on the 60.
I still think Val Vista Lakes is in Northern Gilbert, not Southern, because it is literally right on the Northern border (I think Baseline Road is where Mesa starts).

I agree with what you are saying, as that is the point I was making. Chandler is typically closer than Gilbert to town, but if you are comparing someone that lives in Gilbert Islands versus someone that lives in Sun Groves, for example the person in Gilbert is much closer. Just saying that Chandler also has some far away places. And I agree the nicer, newer subdivisions in Gilbert are typically in the far East and Southeast part of town, some near Queen Creek.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:49 PM

By the way, that shopping center at Val Vista Lakes has a Five Guys Burger, too.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
You will have no problem finding a very nice, newer (1990 +), home for under $400K in Scottsdale. You won't have to go the Short Sale or foreclosure route either.

Property values have dropped everywhere in the valley, but Scottsdale is still far more stable an investment than any other community. You can call it being a "snob", but there is a reason that people want to live in Scottsdale.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:26 PM

7 posts, read 55,777 times
I too relocated from the Midwest (Chicago) to AZ several years ago and had many of the same questions you did. All of the comments seem pretty much spot on. I have lived in NW and now SE Gilbert and the commute anywhere in Scottsdale can be challenging depending on the time because the entire 101 (I go from the start near Chandler Mall all the way to Desert Ridge) is pretty congested in both directions from Shea to Elliot during rush hour.

Home values have been whipped around so much in the past 5 years, I could be totally off but based on your criteria I would recommend McCormick Ranch Area and anything in the 85258 & 85259 zip codes in East Scottsdale. That would probably provide the best commute (15-20 min) with some older homes, great schools, amenities and natural beauty. If you prefer to live South I would recommend Chandler near the 101 near Ray Road or Gilbert north of Warner and West of Cooper Rd although it will add a few more minutes, it will provide more affordable homes with great schools, decent amenities (more chains though), less natural beauty, but everything is pretty new and safe.

I still have some redneck in me from my country days in Illinois and some of Snotsdale's reputation is well-deserved but generally everyone in Scottsdale, Tempe, Chandler and Gilbert have all been pretty accepting and you will realize some of the snobby ones are just like you but much more concerned with appearances.

FWIW - Kierland is in the Phoenix City Limits with a Scottsdale Post Office address. It is funny because all the home flyers in the area say "Scottsdale Address, Paradise Valley Schools and Phoenix Taxes" so I guess that means you get the best of everything. LOL.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 PM

15 posts, read 27,928 times
WE moved to North Scottsdale last year with a 15 year old, who has always been popular, successful, etc. We are a well off family, which is why we could afford North Scottsdale, actually Cave creek. Cactus shadows is the high school.

My son hates it. He has developed severe depression from all the snobbery here. Its all about how much money you have and what your daddy does. Unless you are prepared to put out lots of money to dress your kids in the absolute latest fashion, give them a luxury car to drive to school, and basically do the whole Beverly Hills designer thing, you might like to avoid it here.

We are sending him to boarding school out of state for next school year. I have never met people as shallow as this in my life.

The Super Sweet 16 stuff you see on tv is an every day t hing here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area