Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:05 PM

6 posts, read 19,762 times

Advertisements

There's a thread about commuting from Casa Grande to Phoenix but unfortunately didn't have much info on this specific commute to downtown Phoenix.

Google maps says it's about 50 miles and ~55 mins, but then says 1 hr 40 mins in traffic. Just what would be the average commute? How long does the rush hour traffic last? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
The rush hour traffic can last a lot more than an "hour", and that inbound on I-10 and the outbound in the afternoon can be VERY congested. If you are talking about normal 8-5 type hours, that commute would get very old very fast.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:43 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
Those google maps sound about right. If you hit it right at the bad times Im sure its not fun day after day. I work from home so dont deal with it. But I do head up to PHX and environs alot at times other than rush and its 45 mins to the airport, so 55 mins to downtown seems about right. Last weekend I made it to North Phoenix (7th ave/Dunlap) in under an hour...and that was going up 7th avenue instead of hwy 51.

Also, when figuring cost vs commute (thats why most weigh this calculation) from CG vs other areas, remember that there will be SOME commute from the other places. Its still can easily be 30 mins from Chandler/Mesa/Gilbert etc., so you have to figure out is the ADDITIONAL commute worth the additional savings you will get further out, figuring gas/auto costs into the equation.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Those google maps sound about right.
Right about it being 55 mins -and- 1 hr 40 mins in rush hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The rush hour traffic can last a lot more than an "hour", and that inbound on I-10 and the outbound in the afternoon can be VERY congested. If you are talking about normal 8-5 type hours, that commute would get very old very fast.
I see. The reason that I'm looking at Casa Grande is that should I take a job in Phoenix, my wife would be commuting to Tuscon, and so we'd need to live halfway. But, if it's more than an hour each way I'm not sure I could do it...what if I was commuting from 6a, and leaving Phoenix at 6p?

Last edited by tensor; 03-04-2010 at 08:02 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM

1,707 posts, read 4,341,167 times
Earlier and later (as you describe) are better....but can vary alot depending on collisions etc.

I was saying that 55 mins without traffic to the heart of downtown is about right. Tucson will be just over an hour to downtown from Casa Grande. People do both of these commutes every day. My neighbors are in your situation.

Remember that you may not have to commute all the way into downtown. Tempe/Mesa and south Phoenix are all alot easier of a commute since you miss the downtown crowd. Of course on the other hand you could end up working north of downtown which would be bad.

These are reasons we here on C-D often suggest that folks find the job BEFORE the house. Not only to make sure you have one....but to adjust your commute tolerance accordingly.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
Earlier and later (as you describe) are better....but can vary alot depending on collisions etc.

I was saying that 55 mins without traffic to the heart of downtown is about right. Tucson will be just over an hour to downtown from Casa Grande. People do both of these commutes every day. My neighbors are in your situation.

Remember that you may not have to commute all the way into downtown. Tempe/Mesa and south Phoenix are all alot easier of a commute since you miss the downtown crowd. Of course on the other hand you could end up working north of downtown which would be bad.

These are reasons we here on C-D often suggest that folks find the job BEFORE the house. Not only to make sure you have one....but to adjust your commute tolerance accordingly.
Without traffic as in, the rush hour traffic? My job would be at BNI (350 West Thomas Road), which I think is right in downtown.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensor View Post
Without traffic as in, the rush hour traffic? My job would be at BNI (350 West Thomas Road), which I think is right in downtown.
Yes, without rush hour or any other significant traffic. If you are working odd hours, that's one thing, but if you aren't, it will be a LONG trip, time wise.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,501,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tensor View Post
It's not downtown but it kind of seems like it is, more like uptown or north-central.

You're setting yourself up for a lengthy drive if you want to live in Casa Grande and work in Phoenix, the traffic is horrible during crush hour.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:10 AM

38 posts, read 83,876 times
Just to add to what people have said, I made it from the airport to Casa Grande on a weeknight at around 6:30pm a couple of weeks ago in 40 minutes. I am sure that this would be worse during true rush hour but to me it didn't seem bad. There was traffic, but it actually moved! That's different than what I'm used to in the Chicago area. The interstate going down to Casa Grande is a 75mph road much of the way and it never seemed gridlocked during the few days I was there. I'm sure that it would be a nightmare if there was a bad accident but compared to the traffic I've seen in Denver and Chicago, it didn't seem bad.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
It's not downtown but it kind of seems like it is, more like uptown or north-central.

You're setting yourself up for a lengthy drive if you want to live in Casa Grande and work in Phoenix, the traffic is horrible during crush hour.
Would I still be wrangling with traffic if I was leaving CG at 6a and Phoenix at 6p?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area