U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:18 PM

723 posts, read 2,183,666 times

Advertisements

I'm confused about something.

I thought the Central Corridor area, the section stretching from about the I-10 Deck Park to about Clarendon-City Square, was all part of Downtown Phx. Just today I was told it's really Uptown Phx.

It seems like this whole area could be Downtown because of all the Office towers and how busy it is during the Weekdays. Kind of dead after dark though!!!!!

This is the area I'm talking about -----------

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 12:25 AM

4,203 posts, read 13,111,993 times
it certainly isn't downtown Phoenix, which is only the area down around Washington, Van Buren, and all that....

your pictured area is the Central Corridor and may also be called Uptown, at times....I know there's Uptown Plaza at Central and Camelback....these may be interchangeable terms....

Old 03-06-2010, 08:45 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,082,004 times
It's funny you say it's dead after dark. It is true. You go around or near the I-10 at night and even though there are restaurants, bars, and such. Most of them close before 10PM! lol..

At least in Tempe, there are things you can still do. I can walk in and get a pizza at 3AM!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM

723 posts, read 2,183,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
it certainly isn't downtown Phoenix, which is only the area down around Washington, Van Buren, and all that....

your pictured area is the Central Corridor and may also be called Uptown, at times....I know there's Uptown Plaza at Central and Camelback....these may be interchangeable terms....
Thanks!!!!!!

I thought Uptown was the section from Steele Indian School Park to about Camelback or so, but now I know it takes in a much larger area.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:07 PM

3,143 posts, read 5,186,414 times
Everyone has their own ideas. The northern border of downtown is usually Roosevelt, Portland, I-10 or McDowell, depending upon who you are talking to. I tend to go with the freeway.

Many would divide the remaining stretch of Central to Camelback into midtown and uptown, with the line being around the park at Indian School.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM

17,846 posts, read 40,157,880 times
Some people refer to downtown much more loosely than we do here at C-D. In conversation, they'll say, "it's downtown" or "going downtown" meaning anything along the high rise stretch. It's not a big deal either way, to me.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 AM

845 posts, read 2,199,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Everyone has their own ideas. The northern border of downtown is usually Roosevelt, Portland, I-10 or McDowell, depending upon who you are talking to. I tend to go with the freeway.

Many would divide the remaining stretch of Central to Camelback into midtown and uptown, with the line being around the park at Indian School.
Somebody was commenting about the very small number of residents Downtown. Has there been a much larger increase in the Midtown area?

Old 03-07-2010, 08:03 AM

34 posts, read 82,760 times
How confusing! I moved to Phoenix in Dec. and still don't know how to answer the question "What part of town do you live in?". Per this post so far I think I live in the "Central Corridor midtown/downtown". Now THAT'S a mouthful. (Am at 9th St. just north of Indian School Rd). And trying to quote a neighborhood that will narrow it down is almost as shady.... I think cross-streets work best.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:07 AM

1,457 posts, read 4,285,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmpls View Post
How confusing! I moved to Phoenix in Dec. and still don't know how to answer the question "What part of town do you live in?". Per this post so far I think I live in the "Central Corridor midtown/downtown". Now THAT'S a mouthful. (Am at 9th St. just north of Indian School Rd). And trying to quote a neighborhood that will narrow it down is almost as shady.... I think cross-streets work best.
I definitely wouldn't consider that downtown. It's technically in the official Encanto neighborhood of Phoenix, so I'd just say "Encanto area".

Old 03-07-2010, 09:31 AM

46 posts, read 107,634 times
This is the general area that I'm currently looking at getting a condo or apt. I have found some pretty good deals so far. Good photos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area