Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 07:51 PM

369 posts, read 2,162,713 times

Advertisements

I'm wondering if someone can set me in the right direction here. I want to buy an acoustic guitar and take lessons. Where should I shop. Also does anyone know what this is going to run me? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM

382 posts, read 1,353,277 times
Do a google search for Milano Music Center. They're on Main in Mesa and have been there for a very long time. Not sure on the costs, but I'm sure you could call them and ask.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:18 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,476,996 times
I would recommend that you buy your first guitar cheaply at a pawn shop. If you decide it's not your thing you're not out much.

I recently bought this guitar for my 9yr. old daughter. Amazon.com: Jasmine by Takamine S34C NEX Cutaway Acoustic Guitar: Musical Instruments I give her some knowledge and also send her to lessons for piano and guitar 3x a week. This is the best sub$500 guitar I have ever heard. Her instructor thought the same. I replaced the strings with a lighter gauge for a few bucks...a steal at $100..

Old 03-05-2010, 09:01 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,393,715 times
Guitar Center is your best bet for a decent acoustic, or if you want used go with a pawn shop.

For lessons, I would reccomend craigslist, you can get private lessons. Guitar Center does have lessons but they're pricey. Your best bet is to get the guitar, and get some DVD's (most are free online) and it will teach you the basics. I learned to play almost every single Sublime song by watching youtube videos.

Yamaha F335 Acoustic Guitar and more 6 String Acoustic Guitars at GuitarCenter.com.

That's my guitar, it works well just replace the springs with some good Martin SP strings.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,252,514 times
Learning to play the guitar is hard. There is a lot of subjectivity to it. You have to have a lot of natural talent. It's not like taking piano lessons which is more straightforward but requires a lot of practice. Playing the guitar well requires having a good ear. You will realize that when you try to tune a guitar. I'm still amazed at people who can listen to a song, and then figure out the notes and chords in their head based on what they heard and then play it. It also requires a lot of manual dexterity and practice.

I was an utter failure at learning the guitar. I took lessons. My instructor made me buy lesson books. One chapter equaled one lesson. I would play "Happy Birthday", "This Land is Your Land" and "Norweigian Wood" through single string notes only. I learned basic chords but I never learned full rock songs and I could never play any songs. I hated it and lost interest. I think I might have had more interest if I learned to play a few songs first while simutaneously learning how to read notes and the music.

My sister and mom learned to play the piano and were both playing full songs in a few months. I felt like I could have played the piano really well but guitar was really challenging.

This is a very painful yet humorous (to everyone reading) moment in my life. I always wanted to play the guitar because I loved all forms of classic rock music.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:12 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,749,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
I'm wondering if someone can set me in the right direction here. I want to buy an acoustic guitar and take lessons. Where should I shop. Also does anyone know what this is going to run me? Thanks
I applaud you for wanting to learn to play an acoustic guitar today, when most are interested in the electric guitar.

Playing a guitar is like playing any other instrument. It takes dedication, study, and practice, practice, practice. If you really want to do it, you can.

With dedication, study and practice you will achieve what you want to achieve. You will develop the skills with practice.

Some people have a born talent for playing different instruments, or singing, and their skills may develop further because of the talent.

You may have that talent. The main thing at this point is to follow your dream to play that guitar and work at it. You will have many hours of enjoyment.

I started playing drums at age 14, and ending up playing with dance bands, and then was in the Army band in Texas for a couple years. I put music on the back burner when I began my flying carrer, but started back studying about 5 yeard before I retired.

Then I realized my dream of playing in a big band, and eventually had my own 17-piece big band, plus several party bands and jazz groups and booked them for weddings and parties throughout the San Francisco Bay area. I sold the band when I moved to AZ, but it is still in existance under my name. www.btso.com

Prior to retiring from Pan Am, I was based out of New York and studied at Drummers Collective where some of the top musicians were instructors. It was there I learned that in order to really learn the instrument I had to practice about eight hours a day. And I did.

I did not have the raw talent that the highly successful musicians had, but I developed a high skill level.

You can do it too. Talk to the people at Milano's and Guitar Center. Most of their employees are working musicians. They can help point you in the right direction. Good Luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: