U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 PM
 
Location: 10110001010110100
6,615 posts, read 11,697,081 times
Reputation: 5875

Advertisements

Ed, may be you could get one of these done in your backyard?






LOL....just a little humor!
Rate this post positively

 
Old 06-06-2007, 12:35 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,730 posts, read 14,926,295 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Most pools end up being a liability and a pain in the arce after a couple of years, when the novelty wears off. That's why they're for sale.
A $40,000 dollar pool only adds about $10,000 in value to a house.
Take this for what it's worth.
I would take this pool idea one step further. In most of the country, and there are exceptions, the pool is a liability that will decrease the value of a home. I once looked at a home in Wisconsin ( made an offer) , that had an indoor pool. The only way it got sold was for the pool to be decked over, and made into a family room. yet , everyone knew it was still there , lurking under the floor, and the house took 4 years to sell !
I think when you get up over 1 million , a pool becomes less of a problem , cause its less of the value in the home compared to sq. foot , and other aspects that make the house and grounds worth the higher price. In some areas of the country, you might have to get over 2 million to attain the same aspect.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
 
647 posts, read 3,190,332 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Most pools end up being a liability and a pain in the arce after a couple of years, when the novelty wears off. That's why they're for sale.
A $40,000 dollar pool only adds about $10,000 in value to a house.
Take this for what it's worth.
I couldn't disagree more with your statement. Most pools do not end up being a liability, and the reason houses are for sale is definitely NOT b/c the owners are tired of having a pool. People move for a LOT of reasons - not liking their pool is probably number 999 on the list.

Every agent I've talked to, and I've talked to many, agree that houses with pools are, on average, easier to sell then houses without pools (I'm talking suburban areas - downtown may be different). Of course there are people who don't want a pool for one reason or another, and it's not impossible to sell a house without a pool. But a majority of people who move to this area want a pool. Most developments don't have community pools and many people don't want to load the kids into the family truckster and schlep to the public pool every day when it's hot and they're desperate for an activity when the kids are out of school.

I do agree, however, that you will not recoup your investment if you build a pool. As I said earlier and you restated - a pool will add about 10k more the your list price which means you lose the rest. I think that usually resales are a better deal if you want a house with a pool.

It boils down to whether or not you'll use a pool and whether you like the way pools look in your backyard (I agree with Ponderosa re: the landscaping appeal). If the answers are both "yes" then a pool is a worthwhile expense for you. If the answer is "no" then obviously you wouldn't build one or buy a house with one in much the same way that if you don't need a 6 bedroom house you wouldn't build one or buy one.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2007, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,320 posts, read 17,644,107 times
Reputation: 5742
My husbands belief is that it is far easier to add a pool than to remove a pool.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2007, 09:21 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,730 posts, read 14,926,295 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I couldn't disagree more with your statement. Most pools do not end up being a liability, and the reason houses are for sale is definitely NOT b/c the owners are tired of having a pool. People move for a LOT of reasons - not liking their pool is probably number 999 on the list.

Every agent I've talked to, and I've talked to many, agree that houses with pools are, on average, easier to sell then houses without pools (I'm talking suburban areas - downtown may be different). Of course there are people who don't want a pool for one reason or another, and it's not impossible to sell a house without a pool. But a majority of people who move to this area want a pool. Most developments don't have community pools and many people don't want to load the kids into the family truckster and schlep to the public pool every day when it's hot and they're desperate for an activity when the kids are out of school.

I do agree, however, that you will not recoup your investment if you build a pool. As I said earlier and you restated - a pool will add about 10k more the your list price which means you lose the rest. I think that usually resales are a better deal if you want a house with a pool.

It boils down to whether or not you'll use a pool and whether you like the way pools look in your backyard (I agree with Ponderosa re: the landscaping appeal). If the answers are both "yes" then a pool is a worthwhile expense for you. If the answer is "no" then obviously you wouldn't build one or buy a house with one in much the same way that if you don't need a 6 bedroom house you wouldn't build one or buy one.
I think the exceptions for the pool being a liability are mostly in AZ, and other very hot areas of the country. However , having a pool is not what it used to be. The mess , the smell , the up keep, and most important, the loss of the safety conscious buyer with small children makes having a pool something I would avoid. My Realtor agrees with me on this, from experience.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2007, 11:53 AM
 
Location: Out there somewhere...a traveling man.
42,084 posts, read 55,058,917 times
Reputation: 118715
I deal with several realtors and they all say the same thing. "Houses with pools are harder to sell, and that they stay on the market longer" and to them they are a nusiance to deal with. Ususally the buyer of a pool home is new, from out of state, or a very young couple. That's not to say many people in between want or enjoy them too, but in the end most get sold because of liability and upkeep.
And watch your kids around water. Too many kids drowning in pools scare many from buying one.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-06-2007, 03:30 PM
 
647 posts, read 3,190,332 times
Reputation: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I deal with several realtors and they all say the same thing. "Houses with pools are harder to sell, and that they stay on the market longer" and to them they are a nusiance to deal with.
Guess this goes to show that there are a huge number of agents out there and many have differing opinions. Every agent I've talked to thinks pools are generally an asset and every agent you've talked to thinks they're not. Good thing there's a large supply of houses out there, some with pools and some without, and a large number of agents to sell those houses.

While I disagree with you about pools being a liability, I couldn't agree with you more about watching kids around water. I am constantly shocked, appalled and saddened by the number of kids who drown every year in pools. I will never understand why anyone with kids would own a pool without a pool fence. It makes no sense to me. And even with a pool fence, every kid should have swimming lessons and should never, ever be left alone by the pool. Like many other "toys," pools can be a fun and safe experience if they're treated with respect.....and don't even get me started on the huge number of kids I see driving around, ALONE, without a helmet, on golf carts and 4 wheelers
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-07-2007, 09:42 AM
 
702 posts, read 3,017,220 times
Reputation: 462
I used to have a house with a pool. I had a realtor tell me that I could only get back half of what it cost to have the pool put in. The biggest problem that I had when I went to sell was that not everyone wants a pool. I had people look at the house and say that they would buy but they didn't want a pool to care for. One couple liked the house so much (but not the pool) that they got an estimate for having it filled in. It was expensive because it was 16 by 30 and the decking and part of the sides would have to be removed to prepare it for the grass that they wanted there. I finally did sell it to a family with children that really wanted the pool. So, there is good and bad when you have an in-ground pool.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-07-2007, 10:01 AM
 
Location: State of Superior
8,730 posts, read 14,926,295 times
Reputation: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
I used to have a house with a pool. I had a realtor tell me that I could only get back half of what it cost to have the pool put in. The biggest problem that I had when I went to sell was that not everyone wants a pool. I had people look at the house and say that they would buy but they didn't want a pool to care for. One couple liked the house so much (but not the pool) that they got an estimate for having it filled in. It was expensive because it was 16 by 30 and the decking and part of the sides would have to be removed to prepare it for the grass that they wanted there. I finally did sell it to a family with children that really wanted the pool. So, there is good and bad when you have an in-ground pool.
Maybe the best thing for people who want a pool , is to install a redneck pool, you know , the above ground mess that fills the entire yard. Bonus also , don't have to mow anymore , cause the pool covers all the former grass areas.( any area left over has a car or 2 up on blocks, and an assortment of fridges)
Rate this post positively
 
Old 06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Oxygen Ln. AZ
9,320 posts, read 17,644,107 times
Reputation: 5742
They make kit pools now. I guess they are like the above ground pool but you dig the hole and put one of those in for a third of the price of a real pool. I suppose it would be easier to take out.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:43 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top