U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM

4,866 posts, read 10,047,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
No, people in the desert do not need a pool. fact is most of the pools in AZ. have been filled in and transformed into a cactus garden....due to the water shortage.
Where did you get this garbage? There are many more open pools in Arizona than ones that have been transformed into cactus gardens. Matter of fact, I know hundreds of people with pools here but don't know a single one that has a pool that has been transformed into anything.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-20-2012, 08:56 AM

17,461 posts, read 23,133,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Where did you get this garbage? There are many more open pools in Arizona than ones that have been transformed into cactus gardens. Matter of fact, I know hundreds of people with pools here but don't know a single one that has a pool that has been transformed into anything.
Oh, now, c'mon. I know there are quite a few pools that have been transformed into mosquito breeding farms. They can usually be found on bank owned properties.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:43 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,919,857 times
Yeah, that's what happens to the pools people can't afford. They shut them off and let them go green.

I just heard the cities find them by helicopter and put mosquito-egg-eating fish in them sometimes. I bought a short sale in Jan. with a green, non-working pool. I'm really glad it had no fish in it.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Oh, now, c'mon. I know there are quite a few pools that have been transformed into mosquito breeding farms. They can usually be found on bank owned properties.
None of the people I know are living in bank owned properties nor are their pools green.

Ok, I take that back...When I ask a buddy I work with if he is going to hang out by the pool this weekend he always says "I can't, my pool is still a green swamp I may clean it out this weekend" but he never does.

You may have a point.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:30 AM

Tell him it's illegal to let your pool go green. It's a public health hazard. You can't mortgage a property with an empty pool, either. That one's a safety hazard.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
Tell him it's illegal to let your pool go green. It's a public health hazard. You can't mortgage a property with an empty pool, either. That one's a safety hazard.
I'm not the green pool enforcement officer so I'm not going to go around telling people what to do on their own property. I know that is the case so I'll take care of my property but it is up to him to take care of his, and know the laws concerning the care of his property. I don't make a habit of butting into peoples lives by telling them what to do and what not to do. Call me crazy...

Old 04-20-2012, 11:42 AM

17 posts, read 43,125 times
This has been a really interesting thread, started in 2007 for 2 ½ pages, then revived after close to 5 years for another 3 pages! A lot of interesting and different opinions, going back to the OP’s original question, I think the value a pool adds to a home in $$$ might be as little as $4000 - $5000 or as much as $20,000 +.

There are many variants like neighborhood, the size and value of the home, the overall backyard finish with the pool, and the pool itself that make a difference. I think a better gauge is too figure that a pool adds something in the range of 25% to a max of 50% of what the pool itself cost….if the pool cost $30k it would add about $7500 to $15,000 to the house.

Overall I think the value a pool adds is that it is a tool in helping get the sale. I know that buyers are split into 2 camps and not sure what % each side has. But there a those who absolutely want a pool and those who definitely do not; very few are indifferent. Eliminating all that do not want one, those that want one, always remember the homes they visit with nice pools. I always hear people talking about the homes they visit and ones that have the nice pools are always what they mention….obviously from the pool liking clan. They are notorious in that one (of the couple) will say, the kitchen needs some work, or the closets are too small, or other shortfalls of the homes. But the other person will say but that’s the house with the pool or what a pool and backyard it has!

For those that made comments about the cost or the return on investment or anything like that, to each their own. I rarely buy anything with ROI being a prime factor, the main reason is always for my pleasure and enjoyment, if it has good ROI, that’s a bonus. (The premise of the DIY show Sweat Equity never cut it with me)

We are currently looking to move and to not limit my selection of homes, I did not click “have a pool” on the searches I do. But after having looked for a couple of weeks now, I realize that I could never have a nice pool installed at the price that many homes with pools go for compared to similar homes with no pools are asking and me adding the pool. More than likely, I will probably get a home with a pool unless I find a real deal on a home without.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:50 AM

34,896 posts, read 45,022,518 times
Anyone flying into Phoenix for the first time is stunned by the number of pools visible from the plane window. Few homes came with pools, so at one time or another, the owner decided that having a pool was worth it. I doubt anyone thought much about ROI. Back in the day, we counted on appreciation to allow us to pay off the pool loan when we sold the house. So getting a pool was simply a matter of affording the payments. The math may be a little different now, though.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:51 AM

400 posts, read 787,350 times
The best kind of pool is an above ground pool because after the novelty wears off and you realize you're spending a ton of money on chemicals and time cleaning it you can just drain it, load it into a truck and take it to the dump.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm not the green pool enforcement officer so I'm not going to go around telling people what to do on their own property. I know that is the case so I'll take care of my property but it is up to him to take care of his, and know the laws concerning the care of his property. I don't make a habit of butting into peoples lives by telling them what to do and what not to do. Call me crazy...
Ha, well clearly. I was suggesting just letting him know he could get in trouble, not that you enforce it or even tell him to clean it. Not everyone knows it's illegal and many would appreciate the tip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area