U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 05:38 PM

8,000 posts, read 15,817,071 times

Advertisements

Pools can actually lower the value of a home.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 AM

8,730 posts, read 14,863,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
I agree, the reasons have already been told over and over.. However, some people just won't listen.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:50 AM

17,840 posts, read 39,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I agree, the reasons have already been told over and over.. However, some people just won't listen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
.Owing a home with a pool can be a liability, if for no more reason than the maintenance, restoration, etc...which can equal the value of the house in today's market. I am very much aware, I have built, restored, several homes, one with a pool that had been neglected for years.
We don't listen because it's not true in the overwhelming majority of cases. You are basing a lot on the cost of restoration of ONE badlly neglected pool in Florida. Most people are not going to face that situation here or anywhere else. Yes, a badly neglected pool like one you've described will negatively affect the value of a home when it's put on the market with the pool in that condition. But, that's about the ONLY time it will negatively impact the value. The rest of the time, it adds at least some value, and there's enough buyers out there who want a house with a pool. So you are only excluding those buyers who don't want one, for any number of reasons but generally NOT the cost of water, which is not a large factor in the Phoenix area.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:41 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,496,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
So you are only excluding those buyers who don't want one, for any number of reasons but generally NOT the cost of water, which is not a large factor in the Phoenix area.
Even with all the evaporation (and need to keep topping off), our combined water/sewer bill is less than $50/month.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,919,857 times
Quote:
Anything CAN lower the value of a home. In most cases, here, pools add around $10k. That's a verifiable number, quantitatively observed in the marketplace. Ask any appraiser.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:21 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,023,662 times
bought a home in November of last year and we only looked at pool homes.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:28 AM

208 posts, read 458,094 times
We to are only looking a pool homes.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:50 AM

8,390 posts, read 10,710,308 times
Why wouldn't anyone want a pool in a place with 105 or more degree summers? Up keep, maybe water but for the most part, (always exceptions), people use a pool a lot more here than other places.

It's a down right savior if the ac goes on the brink.

It's better than using the hose for the kids, and it's just fun in the sun.

We are about the sun, we are the "Valley of the Sun." A pool is a nice addition to our lifestyle which is usually relaxed, and full of SUN. We wear flippies to work 1/2 the time and bbqin saves cooling bills in the summer. We are a great place to have a pool. Get one, if you enjoy it, if not, then don't. It's not worth worrying what it brings in or out when you sell, it's how much it brings in happiness all year long.
For me, even when I'm not swimming, it's great to see the water out my window. It's the desert so it's nice to have water around to look at. Swimming is great exercise when it's 100 or more outside. Lot's of reasons to have a pool. Give or take the selling power.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:55 AM

6,069 posts, read 13,870,678 times
Quote:
In AZ, some people don't want a pool. Others don't care either way. Others must have a pool.

However, in the lower price range homes, the standard pool, compared with an exact same comparable home but without a pool, will add about $10,000 to the value. The pool may cost $50,000, but the increased price of the home will only be around $10k.

In some areas, where every house has a pool, with no community pool, a house without a pool will be very difficult to sell. I had that experience with a listing in the Trune community of Scottsdale.

Old 04-22-2012, 11:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 2,919,857 times
The last three houses I've bought here, I have wanted a house with no pool and all three have pools. At first I didn't want that kid danger. Fenced it. We didn't use it much, so it was just one more thing to take care of. As my daughter got older, she'd go swimming at her friends' houses more often.

I'd rather keep my house the 80 I'm comfortable at than mess with changing into a swimsuit and messing up my hair and makeup to cool off. The play pools are too small to swim laps and I'm past my floating/suntanning years, so what do you do in there?

But I don't rule out houses with pools because I agree the pools are pretty and easy and cheap to keep and they are sort of 'free' in that you pay maybe $10k for it and then you get that back when you sell. And most buyers like a pool, so you might have an easier time selling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area