Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 PM

168 posts, read 456,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's no right or wrong here-- we've had the pool or no pool discussions on other threads before. Here, the topic is monetary value.
I didn't say there was a "right or wrong." I said that, for us, it's worth the expense. That's a monetary value. Is simply stating "it's a money pit" a monetary value??? But ok, fine. For us, it's worth the "thousands of dollars" we paid to build the pool. And frankly, I'd say every topic has been discussed in other threads before.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,645,239 times
I looked at houses for 4 years before I finally took the plunge and I didn't really see much price difference with houses that had pools and houses that didn't but I'll say this. I wouldn't have bought a house without one and I still feel that way after almost a year.
You can't put a monetary value on your comfort. To me, a pool is a necessity much like a kitchen. It's just something that "belongs" to a house in the desert.
Cactus, tumble weeds, earthtone homes and pools. It's just supposed to be that way when you live in the desert. But that's just me.
I wouldn't care for living here nearly as much if I didn't have a place with a pool. It has nothing to do with money.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
I know I would never use a pool to the extent having one would be cost-effective. So when I moved to Arizona I instructed my Realtor to show me only houses that did not have a pool. I did hedge my bets, however, by choosing a house on a "pool-sized lot" to allow a future owner to add one if they wish.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:03 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Really it boils down to personal preference, where you live, and if you have small children (yours or others nearby)..,but what this thread is about is the value ,does it help or hurt. The only fair answer is what comes from the Realtor. The reason for that is in many cases , does the pool "work" with the neiborhood and how it was constructied, maintained, and quite frankly even more what are the city rules about water usage.
It does little good if you have a pool and can't use it when water is in short supply. The worst areas are in the SW where , you can have the cement hole in the ground, but often can not put water in it. I know many folks that have had the pool turned into a garden of local plants , rocks, etc. There are also places where the pool has saved the houses from burning down durning a brush fire disaster . Fore some reason homes in florida are worth more with a pool as a whole compared to other areas of the country.The "fitting the local" thing matters most in value. If a person has to decide, weighting all the negatives, you are better off not having a pool in the first place.. Today many new high end homes have a lap indoor pool. The days are gone where a pool always adds to home value, that applies almost everywhere the country... The bottom line is again, check with your Local Realtor first be for spending thousands for a fancy hole in the ground, often called a " cement pond "' suitable only for the wealthy among us.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy 1 View Post
Pools = money pit
I so agree goatboy, but I do love our pool. First of all, we are in Connecticut so a far cry from living perhaps in Arizona and needing to have a pool for those long hot days. We get to use our pool from mid May until early September then the cover goes on. We have lived in our house for 12 years now and the pool has had to have leaks plugged 3 times, new filter once, filter repair one time, and finally after literally duck taping it back to the sides of the cement wall..a new liner that cost us over 5,000. Oh, lets not forget the cost to open it, close it and purchase the chemicals to maintain it. Unreal the cost and you have to be willing to pay those uber high utility and water bills that it causes.

Why do we keep it?? Well, I don't know about where you live but the gasoline prices are thru the roof here, well over 4.00/gallon and we simply cant afford a trip to the ocean, or lake or even vacation. So I am going to keep the pool...it is surrounded by a 6 ft. fence, has a little cabana to get out of sun, a fridge to keep those drinks cool, and electricity of course to play those tunes and relax. Can't see the neighbors houses and it is like being away. Stay cool

Old 04-20-2012, 04:12 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,266,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I looked at houses for 4 years before I finally took the plunge and I didn't really see much price difference with houses that had pools and houses that didn't but I'll say this. I wouldn't have bought a house without one and I still feel that way after almost a year.
You can't put a monetary value on your comfort. To me, a pool is a necessity much like a kitchen. It's just something that "belongs" to a house in the desert.
Cactus, tumble weeds, earthtone homes and pools. It's just supposed to be that way when you live in the desert. But that's just me.
I wouldn't care for living here nearly as much if I didn't have a place with a pool. It has nothing to do with money.
I so agree Maverick...people who live in deserts do need pools. We are in Conn. and I love our pool. It is simply to expensive here for gasoline to go on vacation to the ocean or go swim in a lake. We incur extra expenses because our pool is seasonal..open in May close in September and of course the chemicals. We clean it and maintain it ourselves its just the opening and closing we hire local pool company to do. Our pool is 20X40 so it is a big work in progress but I do love it.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:45 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
I so agree Maverick...people who live in deserts do need pools. We are in Conn. and I love our pool. It is simply to expensive here for gasoline to go on vacation to the ocean or go swim in a lake. We incur extra expenses because our pool is seasonal..open in May close in September and of course the chemicals. We clean it and maintain it ourselves its just the opening and closing we hire local pool company to do. Our pool is 20X40 so it is a big work in progress but I do love it.
No, people in the desert do not need a pool. fact is most of the pools in AZ. have been filled in and transformed into a cactus garden....due to the water shortage.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,132,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
No, people in the desert do not need a pool. fact is most of the pools in AZ. have been filled in and transformed into a cactus garden....due to the water shortage.
I don't know where you get this info but it's completely incorrect. The cost of filling a pool once is about the cost of watering a lawn for a month, and a pool filling can be a rare thing if you keep the water right. I've never once heard of anyone not filling their pool because they can't afford it. That's just silly misinformation. So is that only a realtor can decide the value. Or that pools are only for the wealthy or being displaced by indoor lap pools. Maybe in FL?

And I'm not even a fan of pools myself because we don't use them but barring that age where the mechanicals start needing replaced (25 years?), none of my three pools have ever been money pits. I'd say it's $100/year of chemicals and that's about it, maybe a new vacuum every 3-5 years. Cheaper than lawn, I think.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:04 AM

27 posts, read 97,990 times
Quote:
I assume you jest? Have you flown over the Phoenix area lately? Unless those cactus gardens are bright blue, pools are still the norm in many neighborhoods. Water shortage is not typical, even here in the desert. Between the large aquifer and CAP, water is OK if we manage it well.

The math, and even the enjoyment, are significantly different when you can use your pool nearly year round. Even when not the swimming season here in Arizona, we do not have to winterized and cover, so you get the landscape feature year round.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
This just made me laugh. WT....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area