Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 02:31 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times

Advertisements

Do I have to go into the office to look through their job database or is it somewhere on their website. I've looked everywhere and im going nuts. Im sick of looking on careerbuilder and finding nothing but garbage.

https://www.azdes.gov/default.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 02:34 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Please tell me you are not now unemployed too?

Old 03-15-2010, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Please tell me you are not now unemployed too?
I've been unemployed for over 6 months. Nothings more funny then watching my job field drop off the face of the earth. I would have moved already if I wasn't married. My wife, an 8 year experienced teacher, was laid off so the school could save money by hiring an ASU grad.

Thank god for our tax return because we used 3/4th's of it towards paying off her car.

Before you trolls assume anything and post your hateful replies. Let me make this clear. The first month, i applied to 15 jobs a day. Slowly went to 5 a day to 1 every other day because I have no job skills beyond fixing computers. I've applied at walmart, church's chicken, big lots, wendy's, mcdonnalds, there is absolutely nothing out there. I entertained myself by going to a temp agency, mainly the car salesmen like company, Robert Half. Claiming they could "sell my skills" and even he even pulled in his manager giving me the whole deal about "not giving up" The only thing that saves my sanity is going to school.

Ranting and stopping. So do you have any idea how to look around their website for their job database? We have a 1 gas tank a week budget and don't really need to be spending it on a place that may or may not exist.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:22 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I've been unemployed for over 6 months. Nothings more funny then watching my job field drop off the face of the earth. I would have moved already if I wasn't married. My wife, an 8 year experienced teacher, was laid off so the school could save money by hiring an ASU grad.

Thank god for our tax return because we used 3/4th's of it towards paying off her car.

Before you trolls assume anything and post your hateful replies. Let me make this clear. The first month, i applied to 15 jobs a day. Slowly went to 5 a day to 1 every other day because I have no job skills beyond fixing computers. I've applied at walmart, church's chicken, big lots, wendy's, mcdonnalds, there is absolutely nothing out there. I entertained myself by going to a temp agency, mainly the car salesmen like company, Robert Half. Claiming they could "sell my skills" and even he even pulled in his manager giving me the whole deal about "not giving up" The only thing that saves my sanity is going to school.

Ranting and stopping. So do you have any idea how to look around their website for their job database? We have a 1 gas tank a week budget and don't really need to be spending it on a place that may or may not exist.
I have always respected you a lot and was not trolling at all. I sincerely did not know you were unemployed. I wish you and your wife the best. It is severely rough out there for us normal folks.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,576,051 times
I'm sorry to hear that you've been unemployed. It really is saddening to hear your story. It really makes me wonder if things are indeed getting better, or if it's some kind of cover up by the government =/

As far as sites like Careerbuilder and Monster go, I hear that it's best to avoid those sites if you can. I believe I read somewhere that most jobs aren't advertised online. I don't know if this means going to the office or driving around to see if there are "now hiring" signs?

Best of luck to you to you and your wife!!!

Old 03-15-2010, 06:54 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Have you tried Indeed.com? Someone on this forum directed me to that job search site and for whatever reason they had a lot more jobs posted than those other sites that you mentioned. And if jobs aren't being advertised online, then where the heck are they, since the newspapers have almost zero help wanted ads anymore either?

I wish you well. It's so frustrating trying to find a job when there is nothing out there. That's awful what happened to your wife! Don't they have teachers unions in AZ? Maybe I'm naive, but coming from the Upper Midwest, I just assumed that most teachers belong to the NEA in this day and age. I know that the schools in our area require their teachers to be members, but I live in a strong pro-union state, so if AZ is a right to work state then maybe they don't require teachers to be unionized, I would have no idea.

I don't know if you believe in a Higher Power or might be offended by this or not (I hope not) but I am sending up a prayer for you right now. I hope you find something soon.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:26 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,851,038 times
Quote:
Do I have to go into the office to look through their job database or is it somewhere on their website. I've looked everywhere and im going nuts. Im sick of looking on careerbuilder and finding nothing but garbage.

https://www.azdes.gov/default.aspx
Have you tried this one, I didn't register, but you can search to area.

https://www.arizonavirtualonestop.com/

Old 03-15-2010, 08:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:

Our work all but vanished within a two week period. Not much out there to even bid on anymore. Our daughter just got laid off for the second time and she too is hunting for just about anything. Unemployment benifits here are very dismal and she and her husband may be camping with us in the near future. she is also going back to get her M.A and hopefully that will help. Don't give up and know that you have plenty of company and our sympathy as well.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:50 AM

197 posts, read 393,057 times
The requirements from the DES should be listed within the site. Don't be discouraged if you're not able to get help right away, as the Department has had high volume since the Recession started.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I have always respected you a lot and was not trolling at all. I sincerely did not know you were unemployed. I wish you and your wife the best. It is severely rough out there for us normal folks.
I knew you were not trolling. Thank you for the kind words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Have you tried this one, I didn't register, but you can search to area.

https://www.arizonavirtualonestop.com/
Thank you granny, that was the website I was looking for. I don't know why I had a hard time finding it on unemployment's website. You check out careerbuilder,monster, and whatever the other one is, and you see nothing but sales or scam jobs.

I wanted to thank all the people that came in my thread and posted something. I honestly thought there would be some form of a troll in here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: