U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 AM

4,431 posts, read 8,385,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Which guide are you basing your ranking on? I had never heard of ASU as being a top 20 MBA program. US News and World Report has ASU ranked 29th in 2010. Prior to that ASU was consistently ranked in the 30's. Businessweek didn't rank ASU among it's top 30 schools in 2010. It was ranked among it's second tier. The west valley deserves credit for Thunderbird and Midwestern. Thunderbird is more recognized nationally than ASU as a business school and has been recognized as the #1 MBA program for international business for years. It has also been recognized as being among the top 25 overall MBA programs in past rankings in both US News and Businessweek. Midwestern is comprised of a medical school, a pharmacy school, a dental school, a podiatry school, a physician assistant school, a graduate biological school and an undergraduate program. It's campus exceeds 2000 students. ASU's MBA program including its part time and executive programs has 1823 students. Considering that Midwestern alone is bigger than ASU's MBA program, it's a bit of a reach to state that ASU MBA has more students than Thunderbird and Midwestern combined. During these discussions, it's important we give credit where its due and not resort to hyperbole.
I said "probably top 20 or around there". You said it was #29. With hundreds of colleges with MBA programs, I don't think my guess was too far off. I agree that T-Bird has a very highly regarded international business program. ASU has a very highly regarded MBA program as well. ASU also has one of the top Supply Chain Management programs. Again, the only point I was discussing was that AZ does not have a top 100 university for undergrad. I was just explaining that ASU has many top 100 programs, which is what employers look for. A grad from the WP Carey School of Business, or SCM or Barrett, etc. will have quite a desirable bachelors degree in their hands. T-Bird is strictly post grad. Midwestern is a great alternative to UA for those that want to get into pharmacology.
Rate this post positively

Old 04-01-2010, 11:41 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,103,366 times
Quote:
Colin Cowherd has a good line about this. The cities that are more cosmopolitan, cultured, and have more options of what to do, typically don't have as passionate fans for their sports teams. And he speaks about fans that have "jobs", and those that have "careers". A fan with a job is more inclined to get wasted, go crazy and get into fights. A fan with a career has more to lose, and will be more likely to control himself. I liken SEC fans to those with "jobs". Many have no affiliation with the University, they aren't alumni or students, but they were born loving their team, and so was their father and grandfather, etc. They latch on to a team at a young age, and it becomes their identity. UGA has at least 10 times as many fans in the state of Georgia, even though Georgia Tech is in the big city, and also has a stronger team often.
BS, see Boston. Boston is "Light Years" ahead of Phoenix in higher education, professional jobs, and Culture. They are also crazy for the Redsox, Celtics, and Pats.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:08 PM

8,685 posts, read 15,511,052 times
Can we get this back on topic...please...

Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,749,267 times
For our needs we chose the west side mainly because the area around the airport and downtown reminded me too much of Los Angeles. I think Phoenix is a vibrant, beautiful city, but far too congested for me and my husband. I always loved flying in but wanted to get as far away as possible to live. The west side, north Peoria and Surprise all felt a little like southern CA before the boom. I love the newer stores and restaurants as well. Just depends on what you like and my daughter is happier on the east side.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
BS, see Boston. Boston is "Light Years" ahead of Phoenix in higher education, professional jobs, and Culture. They are also crazy for the Redsox, Celtics, and Pats.
To clarify, he was talking on the topic of college sports, which is what we were talking about. And by and large, he is correct with maybe a few exceptions. I'm sure you'll come up with one of those exceptions and claim it is all "BS". He also mentions Boston as one of the few cities that still give a damn about MLB baseball.

But Granny is right, you took this thread way off topic. Maybe start a sports thread and I will get involved. And maybe then I can find out what University you went to.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:33 PM
zox

344 posts, read 441,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I said "probably top 20 or around there". You said it was #29. With hundreds of colleges with MBA programs, I don't think my guess was too far off. I agree that T-Bird has a very highly regarded international business program. ASU has a very highly regarded MBA program as well. ASU also has one of the top Supply Chain Management programs. Again, the only point I was discussing was that AZ does not have a top 100 university for undergrad. I was just explaining that ASU has many top 100 programs, which is what employers look for. A grad from the WP Carey School of Business, or SCM or Barrett, etc. will have quite a desirable bachelors degree in their hands. T-Bird is strictly post grad. Midwestern is a great alternative to UA for those that want to get into pharmacology.
Top 20 includes rankings in the first 20 spots. Saying "its around there" implies its just beyond 20 not the 29th ranking and considering that ASU's business school is typically ranked in the 30's, it is a stretch to even loosely associate it with a top 20 MBA program especialy when other sources like Businessweek and Barrons don't list it among the top 30. A degree from ASU might carry weight in the Phoenix metropolitan area but it's questionable as to how much it carries outside this state. It's not like attending Stanford or a program whose undergraduate degree is recognized nationally and can open doors. The pharmacy program at Midwestern is 3 years compared to 4 years at the University of Arizona. For this reason, Midwestern is often preferred by many candidates who want to live in a more metropolitan area and graduate earlier. And unlike business school, it matters little with certain health professional fields as to where one graduates so claiming Midwestern is an "alternative" to the University of Arizona implies its second rate which is not accurate. It is important to recognize the graduate school community in the west valley. I know you were probably responding to Ponderosa but let's try to be accurate.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:54 PM

I am starting to think this poll has run out Not about sports, upper-level schools...

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Top 20 includes rankings in the first 20 spots. Saying "its around there" implies its just beyond 20 not the 29th ranking and considering that ASU's business school is typically ranked in the 30's, it is a stretch to even loosely associate it with a top 20 MBA program especialy when other sources like Businessweek and Barrons don't list it among the top 30. A degree from ASU might carry weight in the Phoenix metropolitan area but it's questionable as to how much it carries outside this state. It's not like attending Stanford or a program whose undergraduate degree is recognized nationally and can open doors. The pharmacy program at Midwestern is 3 years compared to 4 years at the University of Arizona. For this reason, Midwestern is often preferred by many candidates who want to live in a more metropolitan area and graduate earlier. And unlike business school, it matters little with certain health professional fields as to where one graduates so claiming Midwestern is an "alternative" to the University of Arizona implies its second rate which is not accurate. It is important to recognize the graduate school community in the west valley. I know you were probably responding to Ponderosa but let's try to be accurate.
First, I didn't know it was YOU that had the authority to define what the definition of "or around there" actually means. When there's hundreds of MBA programs in the USA and I say "I think it's top 20 or around there", it means I am making a guess. Being 9 spots away is not too far off. BTW, here's something I found:

The W. P. Carey School of Business has received many other recent high rankings. This includes U.S. News & World Report's ranking as the No. 29 "Best Business School" in the nation for its full-time MBA program. The evening MBA program is No. 24 in the country, and the graduate supply chain management program is ranked No. 5 by U.S. News & World Report. The school was also named No. 25 in the world for business school research productivity in a report from the University of Texas at Dallas.

Since I am a WP Carey MBA graduate, I follow the rankings, but not closely enough to always know what it is. I don't need it for a resume, since I am a business owner. I just know we have a good reputation, and as of a couple years ago, the average starting salary of a new ASU MBA grad was in the upper 80's. Probably in line with a new graduate from a pharmacology program.

And as far as Midwestern being "inferior" to UA, I never said that. I know it is highly regarded and never made a statement against that. You can define "alternative" as inferior, but the actual definition is:

a. The choice between two mutually exclusive possibilities.
b. A situation presenting such a choice.
c. Either of these possibilities. See Synonyms at choice.

I don't like UA, and have no reason to try to prop them up over another. I see Midwestern as a good "alternative" for ASU grads that don't want to subject themselves to Tucson.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I am starting to think this poll has run out Not about sports, upper-level schools...
True, let me get this back on track:

East Side > West Side

Old 04-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
True, let me get this back on track:

East Side > West Side
Final answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area