Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 12:43 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times

Advertisements

Most of his arguements are old and no longer valid

and education is a fairly weak one to begin with in AZ .... it's not exactly the strong point of the state ...... if you are OK with the schools on the east you'll be able find a school on the west that will be fairly similiar ........ if you don't like the better schools on the east or west you'll be hard pressed to find many in AZ that you do like

It's also funny that diversity is mentioned ... another thing that isn't exactly an AZ hallmark ...... however, his observations completely miss the korean & asian influence around dunlap/olive west of I-17 (and some of the excellent restaurants there) .... or that the best school in the state is located in the west valley and has a completely international focus - with it many international students (Thunderbird)

Luke AFB definitely has some international presence to it .... not to mention airlines that have traditionally used goodyear as an area to get their pilots some additional work or foreign engineers who live in the WV to commute to Palo Verde

So little of it holds water it's really not worth doing a full run down on

This isn't 2005 anymore .... let alone 1995

Old 01-07-2011, 11:53 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,171,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
What is interesting is the BCS National Championship Game is next week in Glendale but ESPN and the media set up in Scottsdale. I know West Gate is supposed to be this glorious scene but for whatever reason ESPN chose not to set up there. The same thing happened during the Super Bowl. Ane one criticism of our Superbowl is that it was too remote from the rest of the city which means people didn't want to stay in Glendale. During the Superbowl, Glendale's revenue fell considerably short of expectations because the attendees spent most of their money in other parts of the Valley. During the Superbowl and the previous NC game, the parties were held in Old Town Scottsdale and Tempe. Some of the hotels by the stadium had vacancies. So you can what people really think about the West Side. There is a reason they didn't hold the Maxim, Playboy and Heineken parties anywhere near the West Side.
These are more reasons why the Cards & Coyotes stadiums should have never been built in the west Valley location. I realize it's unfortunate that the west side has been left out of the finer amenities for quite a while, but there is a reason for that. Most everything on the west side seems to be out of reach compared with the central & east sides. Even a great project like Westgate seems so isolated with only a scattering of development around the area, and most of the land surrounding it is still vacant. Until the west Valley starts developing more of a core, and is more competitive with the Scottsdale or Tempe bar & club scene, I'm afraid people will continue to shun the area (regardless if the Super Bowl or other championship games are played at UoP Stadium or Jobing.com Arena).

Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,491,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
These are more reasons why the Cards & Coyotes stadiums should have never been built in the west Valley location. I realize it's unfortunate that the west side has been left out of the finer amenities for quite a while, but there is a reason for that. Most everything on the west side seems to be out of reach compared with the central & east sides. Even a great project like Westgate seems so isolated with only a scattering of development around the area, and most of the land surrounding it is still vacant. Until the west Valley starts developing more of a core, and is more competitive with the Scottsdale or Tempe bar & club scene, I'm afraid people will continue to shun the area (regardless if the Super Bowl or other championship games are played at UoP Stadium or Jobing.com Arena).
Jealous much? Seriously, the only people that complain about the location of UofP Stadium, Jobing.com Arena, and Westgate are those in the east valley who now have to do what some in the west valley have been doing for some time and that's drive.
Boo-hoo. Did you hear that? It's the worlds smallest violin playing a sad song just for you.
"I realize it's unfortunate that the west side has been left out of the finer amenities for quite a while...."
Yes, but that's yesteryear's news. It's 2011 now. The west valley is where the majority of professional sports can be found, like NFL football, NHL hockey, NASCAR, eight MLB "cactus league" baseball teams. And a large (and growing) number of concerts, too.
In 2011, the west valley is no longer "left out".
"Even a great project like Westgate seems so isolated with only a scattering of development around the area, and most of the land surrounding it is still vacant."
Anyone who thinks Westgate is "isolated" has never explored the west valley and does not realize that the west valley goes for many, many miles beyond that area. Yes, there are some farm fields still holding on (which allows room for development), but in 10 years land in that area will be hard to come by (and very expensive).
I read not long ago that when the Metrocenter Mall was first built people complained that it was in the middle of nowhere....
"I'm afraid people will continue to shun the area (regardless if the Super Bowl or other championship games are played at UoP Stadium or Jobing.com Arena)."
As time goes on and the west valley continues to be the heart of growth in the Phoenix metro, you will see this change significantly. However, Scottsdale will always have a reputation of being the place for the rich and famous, and so the rich and famous will always flock there.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:22 PM

8,024 posts, read 12,171,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Jealous much? Seriously, the only people that complain about the location of UofP Stadium, Jobing.com Arena, and Westgate are those in the east valley who now have to do what some in the west valley have been doing for some time and that's drive.
Boo-hoo. Did you hear that? It's the worlds smallest violin playing a sad song just for you.
Oh, come on. I'm not jealous at all. Matter of fact, I can only HOPE that the area around Westgate becomes developed and more of a hot spot. Maybe then, those of us who live in the central & east Valley would be more inclined to go out that way more often.

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Westgate is "isolated" has never explored the west valley and does not realize that the west valley goes for many, many miles beyond that area. Yes, there are some farm fields still holding on (which allows room for development), but in 10 years land in that area will be hard to come by (and very expensive).
Yes, many many miles of hit & miss development. That's the whole point. Westgate is a massive entertainment site plunked in the middle of vacant land & farm fields ... and to me, that's very unappealing. Perhaps to you it's a dream come true, but that's just a difference of opinion. I know there are lots of plans to eventually develop that area ... but the key word here is EVENTUALLY. Let's check back in ten years and see if all the swaths of vacant land are actually built upon.

Quote:
I read not long ago that when the Metrocenter Mall was first built people complained that it was in the middle of nowhere....
That's true ... but look at the Metrocenter area now. It's more or less an urban wasteland full of gangs and undesirables. Many of the neighborhoods around there have gone to the dogs ... not exactly a ghetto, but not anything to brag about either. I hope that when (or IF) development around Westgate finally gets going, it won't end up like Metrocenter years down the road.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:
That's true ... but look at the Metrocenter area now. It's more or less an urban wasteland full of gangs and undesirables. Many of the neighborhoods around there have gone to the dogs ... not exactly a ghetto, but not anything to brag about either. I hope that when (or IF) development around Westgate finally gets going, it won't end up like Metrocenter years down the road.
The whole valley was that way: farm lands, cotton fields, citrus trees, etc. To suggest that Westgate will eventually become a "urban wasteland" is nonsense. If that's true, so will the entire valley.
My point was that Westgate has room to grow, something some of the other proposed sites couldn't offer.

Quote:
Yes, many many miles of hit & miss development. That's the whole point. Westgate is a massive entertainment site plunked in the middle of vacant land & farm fields ... and to me, that's very unappealing. Perhaps to you it's a dream come true, but that's just a difference of opinion. I know there are lots of plans to eventually develop that area ... but the key word here is EVENTUALLY. Let's check back in ten years and see if all the swaths of vacant land are actually built upon.
You do realize that I have to drive 30-35 minutes into town just to get to Westgate. To say it's "plunked in the middle of vacnt land and farm fields" is a bit of an exaggeration. There's a six-lane freeway and an airport right there. Arrowhead, which is pretty well developed, is right up the road, and downtown Glendale, which is small amount of urbanism, is also right down the road. There are two community colleges within a 15 minute drive. Western International University, Midwestern University, Thunderbird School of Global Management and USU West are all within 20 minutes. Several major hospitals are not far away.
Just because there are nearby farm fields does not mean it's in the middle of nowhere. And just because it's not close to you does not mean it's in the middle of nowhere.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,484,591 times
Looking at a map, Tempe is East Valley. As for stuff to do, its more its own world and has more in common with older parts of Phoenix fron downtown to Sunnyslope and Scottsdale than Mesa. Parts of Mesa is getting scary, much like Maryvale.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,215,134 times
What I find sad about these discussions is the desire by some for the failure of other communities. When are you people going to realize that Maricopa county is really just one large city. You should want Goodyear to prosper if you live in Chandler and vice versa. It's rather immature and petty to take a "Us vs Them" mentality when in reality, it's in your backyard. You might live in Mesa but Glendale is part of your community. You might live in Surprise, but Gilbert is a part of your community.

Wishing that other communities fail or hating other communities in the Valley is pretty shortsighted and petty. Wake up people and realize it is one large city now. You might prefer one community over another but you should want the other communities in the Valley to succeed. I don't want to live in the West Valley but I really want Westgate and the other communities to succeed. I still consider those areas to be home although I don't reside in those areas. Accusations of jealousy is short-sighted. Why on earth would I want West-Gate or the West Side to turn into metrocenter.......so that I can have bragging rights on citydata??? LOL please people I want the West Valley to succeed

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-09-2011 at 05:42 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 06:06 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,215,134 times
Let's remember what these threads are designed for...to inform people. The reality is every part of the Valley has something to offer. It's really one big city now. It doesn't matter if you live in Glendale or Chandler or Scottsdale, you can always enjoy the ammenities of the surrounding cities by simply driving there. And in Phoenix we are so spoiled, people who live in Case Grande, Sierra Vista, Prescott and other outside communities will drive over 2 hours to Phoenix or Tucson just to go to an Olive Garden yet we complain if we have to drive 30-45 minutes to drive to a suburb in our backyard.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 01-09-2011 at 06:58 AM..

Old 01-09-2011, 07:57 AM

My main point has always been regarding this discussion is it's 6 one, half-dozen the other. While there are certainly things that are unique or semi-unique to each city and neighborhood in Phoenix metro, it's all still 95% the same, whether in the east valley, west valley, north, south, whatever. There are excellent places to live in every direction.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:17 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,131,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's remember what these threads are designed for...to inform people. The reality is every part of the Valley has something to offer. It's really one big city now. It doesn't matter if you live in Glendale or Chandler or Scottsdale, you can always enjoy the ammenities of the surrounding cities by simply driving there. And in Phoenix we are so spoiled, people who live in Case Grande, Sierra Vista, Prescott and other outside communities will drive over 2 hours to Phoenix or Tucson just to go to an Olive Garden yet we complain if we have to drive 30-45 minutes to drive to a suburb in our backyard.
Quote:
My main point has always been regarding this discussion is it's 6 one, half-dozen the other. While there are certainly things that are unique or semi-unique to each city and neighborhood in Phoenix metro, it's all still 95% the same, whether in the east valley, west valley, north, south, whatever. There are excellent places to live in every direction.
Thanks to you both! All too often, this point is forgotten in the rush of threads and posts here on the Phoenix forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area