U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-28-2010, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
124 posts, read 352,799 times
Reputation: 76

Advertisements

Honestly, I think both have a fairly equal share of nice middle class areas and plenty of affluent neighborhoods as well. My aunt, who just moved from East Mesa (Power and Thomas Rd.) to Queen Creek, said that, historically the East Valley has had a bit of an edge on the West, but the gap is closing.

In my opinion, I think the East might be slightly nicer. I like that it has fewer industrial areas, and yes, I'm sure to a lot of people the East Valley could be characterized as having some of America's "most boring" cities, but they are clean and safe with great roads and plenty of retail on practically every corner. Some day I will hopefully leave the Midwest and move to AZ, but I think the lack of four seasons might be a rough adjustment--that's what everyone says at least.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-28-2010, 09:24 PM
 
Location: AZ
1,457 posts, read 4,290,019 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
that's what everyone says at least.
Not everyone
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 10:55 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
124 posts, read 352,799 times
Reputation: 76
haha, ok *most*
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-28-2010, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
124 posts, read 352,799 times
Reputation: 76
Not to get off topic, but how's Duluth? I'm in the cities here in MN...looks like 70s and sun forecasted for Wednesday and Thursday!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 05:06 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 19,084,372 times
Reputation: 9996
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
When I started reading your post I was reading it with some seriousness and thought it may be a credible argument and was treating it as such. However, once I got to the above paragraph you lost all credibility. You're using ordering a grilled cheese at McDonalds and a guy "with a mullet" as your argument between the East and West Valley? So you're trying to get me to believe that the Mexicans that work in McDonalds in the East Valley are more "intelligent" and sophisticated than the Mexicans that work in the McDonalds in the West Valley? You're sure the guy with the "mullet" lived in the west valley? He wasn't a snowbird, passing through from California, or visiting from the east valley?

You can't use the interaction with one person as an argument to compare a large group of people or large areas or regions such as the east and west valley. Now, statistics like crime rates, education performance, money spent on services, available entertainment venues, etc. would make an intelligent argument to compare the east and west valley but your current argument is just silly.

You are questioning my credibility after you've only lived in the West Valley for 2 years and your entire experience of the East Valley is based on a couple of Sunday drives there?? Unlike you, I've actually done more than take a stroll down the West Side, I lived in one of the most expensive areas of the West Side (85308) for more years than you've lived in Goodyear so I'm basing my opinion on relevant experience. When you actually spend time in the East Valley let alone the Valley in general, you can question my credibility. Until then, I suggest you research the East Valley before you make profoundly ignorant statements like "I never found what all the fuss is about" based on a Sunday drive through it.

In 2007 when Glendale hosted the Superbowl, ESPN and the media set up in North Scottsdale not Glendale. The Superbowl parties were all held in Scottsdale and Tempe not Glendale. In fact that was the biggest complaint about the Superbowl being held here. People complained that the festivities were all in the East Valley but the game was far away in the west valley. But of course, I'm sure you will say that's just a coincidence and that Heineken, Maxim, Playboy and all these other venues were just stupid and you know better than them with regards to what area of the valley offers more amenities.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 03-29-2010 at 06:15 AM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 06:38 AM
 
Location: AZ
1,457 posts, read 4,290,019 times
Reputation: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
Not to get off topic, but how's Duluth? I'm in the cities here in MN...looks like 70s and sun forecasted for Wednesday and Thursday!
Wednesday/Thursday ranges from the high to low 60's. I hate to say, but in the forecast for April 1st, it looks like Duluth will be 68 for a high, and Phoenix will be 65. We'll just have to wait and see, but that's super depressing, as April 1st will be the first day of my trip to Phoenix for my "spring break".
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 29,954,826 times
Reputation: 21814
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
When I started reading your post I was reading it with some seriousness and thought it may be a credible argument and was treating it as such. However, once I got to the above paragraph you lost all credibility. You're using ordering a grilled cheese at McDonalds and a guy "with a mullet" as your argument between the East and West Valley? So you're trying to get me to believe that the Mexicans that work in McDonalds in the East Valley are more "intelligent" and sophisticated than the Mexicans that work in the McDonalds in the West Valley? You're sure the guy with the "mullet" lived in the west valley? He wasn't a snowbird, passing through from California, or visiting from the east valley?

You can't use the interaction with one person as an argument to compare a large group of people or large areas or regions such as the east and west valley. Now, statistics like crime rates, education performance, money spent on services, available entertainment venues, etc. would make an intelligent argument to compare the east and west valley but your current argument is just silly.
I am going to give her a pass because she stated that Surprise is an acception. lol
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 29,954,826 times
Reputation: 21814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiery23 View Post
but I think the lack of four seasons might be a rough adjustment--that's what everyone says at least.
I have only had 2 white winters in my life. I have only watched the trees lose their leaves twice in my life. Many of my friends in the midwest and East seem to love when the seasons change but then like to complain that the winters are too long or the summers are too long. Maybe what they really want is an area that is the same most of the time. Maybe what they want is Arizona. I don't think that you will miss the cold winters at all. I don't think that you will miss trees that look dead for part of the year.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Cypress, TX
587 posts, read 1,314,574 times
Reputation: 199
I have lived in Ahwatukee, Chandler and Goodyear.

Personally, I would choose the west valley. I find the traffic FAR more tolerable and the atmosphere a bit more laid-back. I have nightmares about sitting for 3 rotations of a left-turn stoplights when we lived in Chandler.

I have no qualms with the east valley and when I lived there, had a very low opinion of the west valley, but it was pretty much ignorance because I had never lived there.

If we ever came back to Phoenix, we would absolutely 100% choose the west valley again!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-29-2010, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Living on the Coast in Oxnard CA
16,290 posts, read 29,954,826 times
Reputation: 21814
What is in a name, in this case my City Data Forum name. I do love Surprise. I also love Peoria, Scottsdale, parts of Glendale, I love downtown Phoenix, I kind of like it all over. I was even in Gilbert a few times and liked it there. Haven't found too much not to like.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top