U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Valley 124 69.27%
West Valley 55 30.73%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 05:05 PM

35,864 posts, read 45,926,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oh boy, here we go.

As long as my wife and I are each able to command incomes well into the 6-figures, I don't care about anyone else's opinion. Especially those from the West Siiiiide.
Think what you could make as a Wildcat!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM

4,417 posts, read 8,361,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

LOL, I just went into business with a Wildcat, as a silent business partner purchasing an existing business. I get to do nothing and share in the profits, and he has to work because he had no money to bring to the table. But that's neither here nor there...

Old 03-30-2010, 05:10 PM

9,092 posts, read 17,915,603 times
Quote:
burritos & tacos in 45 seconds or less?!?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:17 PM

5,148 posts, read 4,967,051 times
I live in Gilbert. I will only go to the West Valley for Cardinal games.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 PM

16,290 posts, read 29,900,595 times
I find this entire thread amusing. For some it seems to be a little heated as to the idea of what is better east or west. I would hope that we can have a spirited but friendly debate. In the end I would hope that we could all break bread together. Sure lets have a little fun. I for one don't know if a development on the east side that may employ 9,000 people will happen or not. Hope it does though. Hope that lots of jobs are created and that the economy in the area grows. Could care less where growth happens. My thought is that both areas can and will grow with employment opportunities in the future. I see the point of those on the east where the infrastructure is in place for growth and those on the west where the open land and growing cities allow for new growth. Both sides have their points and seem to express them hear.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
zox

344 posts, read 440,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am sorry, I was refering to companies that produce not those that are government, Education, or some other non productive entity that although yes they provide a job they also have a cost associated with that job. IE Taxes. What amount of additional growth will ASU and U of A bring to the table? Do they create some thing that brings in value to the area other than educating people? Remember that state run education is a subsidized situation that has a cost associated with it to the tax payer. It doesn't generate cash flow such as a business or corporation.
I fail to see how a university is not productive? Do they not hire professors, administrators, ancillary staff, security, and IT professionals among others? Do universities not spur surrounding businesses that serve the needs of the students and employees who work at that university such as housing, restaurants, and additional stores? Do they not provide an educated work force in the area that attracts companies? Downtown Phoenix revitalization is largely due to the expansion of ASU and many of its colleges which has attracted businesses and students to the area. Yes, it is subsidized by taxpayers but so are many entities including the Cardinals stadium and Jobbing arena which many west siders on this thread have gladly boasted about.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM
zox

344 posts, read 440,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Could you enlighten me on the projects that Chandler has created where higher education brought in employment other than from the school itself? Also with the University towns in Arizona I am lead to believe that Tempe, Tucson, and others with Schools also then have a high percentage of business that are near the campus areas that provide jobs not related to the institution but that moved there to ensure a highly educated work force. Is that what you are saying? If a school opens then the business will follow? I suppose that all areas that have a major University level presence will infact have plenty of industry in the area. I would like to see some examples of this in Chandler, and in the other communities with schools. If any can name business entities that came about or moved to the area because of an educational institution please let me know about it. I will not address the work situation in Surprise, as I have stated in other posts that I am still working on the coast and have not as yet found employment in the Surprise area or anywhere else within the valley that meets my current income goals. I agree with you that Surprise needs additional places to work. I will say this that they do have much more than a Wal-Mart and a Waffle House. You forgot to mention the Sonic. lol To tell you the truth their is quite a bit of employment opportunities in the Surprise area, they just don't have the income I desire.
ASU Research Park attracted several companies to its campus because of its ongoing research and affiliation with the university. Insight Enterprises host of the Insight.com Bowl and a public traded company was started by an ASU graduate in 1988. There are no major universities in Chandler so your question makes little sense. If you would like an example that pertains to the west valley, look no further than Midwestern University. The area on the 59th and the 101 transformed from orange groves into an upscale shopping and living area. They built to Mark Taylor apartments in the immediate vicinity. Tutti Santi and a Melting Pot arose there. Two large shopping complexes were built on both 59th and Union Hills and 59th and Utopia. A Kaplan testing center is slated to be built there. As of now, there is only one in the entire valley in downtown Tempe. This phenomenon exists elsewhere. Silicon Valley would not exist without Stanford and Berkeley's participation. Their graduates got the venture capital that led to the creation of companies in the immediate area.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:23 PM

10,720 posts, read 19,056,336 times
Quote:
Why aren't you discussing the West Side's greatest economic engine? Those meth dealers and drop houses generate a lot of money for your area. I'm sure the stolen vehicle part dealers don't fare too poorly either Why do you think they opened a Benz dealership on the west side. They had to serve those "professionals" in your area. I'm sure they make more than all the lowly engineers in the east valley.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,094,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
I live in Gilbert. I will only go to the West Valley for Cardinal games.
Last year Gilbert had 6X's the murders that Surprise had (and because of that Surprise is a lock to be the safest city in AZ once again)...So yeah, stay in Gilbert...

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,094,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Why aren't you discussing the West Side's greatest economic engine? Those meth dealers and drop houses generate a lot of money for your area. I'm sure the stolen vehicle part dealers don't fare too poorly either Why do you think they opened a Benz dealership on the west side. They had to serve those "professionals" in your area. I'm sure they make more than all the lowly engineers in the east valley.
Pablo Escobar once topped Forbes richest man list..so what is your point?

That no professionals live in the West Valley? Let me go talk to my neighbor (retired Aerospace engineer)

Or my other neighbor, Retired DEA and double dipping as an officer at the Airport (God knows how much he is pulling in)

Let me check if I still hold a Masters degree...

Come to think of it, I'm 100% sure that 3 of the 5 houses my Cul-de-sac have a household income over 100K

Last edited by ibarrio; 03-30-2010 at 10:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area