Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 01:25 PM

123 posts, read 354,278 times

Advertisements

Are there any big natural disasters that can happen in Phoenix? It seems like Phoenix is one of the safest US cities when it comes to disasters....no disasterous earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, snow storms, tsunamis, etc.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
Are there any big natural disasters that can happen in Phoenix? It seems like Phoenix is one of the safest US cities when it comes to disasters....no disasterous earthquakes, tornados, hurricanes, snow storms, tsunamis, etc.
There are a surprising number of structures in Maricopa County that are in the 100-year floodplain of various washes and rivers. If you stay away from them, though, there is not a whole lot to fear from mother nature around here.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
The answer is very simply NO! Of course, we have a small constituent of haters who will argue the opposite and claim we are a victim of constant floods, tornados, earthquakes etc. I remember one such hater had the temerity to argue that Phoenix receives snow because one time in 19??, there was slight snowfall in Phoenix that melted before it hit the ground. Trust me, I'm sure someone will reach into the bag of desperate arguments like that snowfall argument to contradict me now.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:12 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,080 times
Unless you count insect and snakes to be natural disasters, or sleep in desert gullies and dry riverbeds, I think the pressure wave from the exasperation sighs as azriverfan reads these responses are your biggest dangers.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,391,964 times
I work in the field of hospital disaster planning and the largest threat to Phoenix is heat. With sustained heat 24/7 in the summer months, this really taxes our electricity providers and has caused rolling black-outs. Deaths have resulted from people living on the streets, or in homes and trailers that do not have air conditionings. Also during our extreme summers, we get monsoon storms. Those storms produce the potential for microbursts, lightning strikes, flooding, etc. We had a very serious storm last summer where the tops of the clouds reached a over mile high and were -100 degrees while the ground surface was over +100. This produced a very violent storm that left some without power for up to 48 hours. Our dust storms can also be very violent and can cause a lot of damage due to motor vehicle accidents.

We also have the potential for tornados, we just don't see them very often.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
I work in the field of hospital disaster planning and the largest threat to Phoenix is heat. With sustained heat 24/7 in the summer months, this really taxes our electricity providers and has caused rolling black-outs. Deaths have resulted from people living on the streets, or in homes and trailers that do not have air conditionings. Also during our extreme summers, we get monsoon storms. Those storms produce the potential for microbursts, lightning strikes, flooding, etc. We had a very serious storm last summer where the tops of the clouds reached a over mile high and were -100 degrees while the ground surface was over +100. This produced a very violent storm that left some without power for up to 48 hours. Our dust storms can also be very violent and can cause a lot of damage due to motor vehicle accidents.

We also have the potential for tornados, we just don't see them very often.
I can not remember ever having a "rolling" blackout here and I have been here 35 years or so. That is nonsense. Clouds reached a mile high? 5000 feet, really? Sounds more like the cloud base elevation to me. Also your lapse rate is nonsense. Your whole post for that matter is nonsense. It scares me to think that you are involved in disaster planning, but I really don't think you are.

BTW, heat is not a disaster in the desert; it is the climate. We don't even have heat waves. It gradually gets hotter and hotter then stays that way.

Monsoon storms can be nasty, but they cause localized damage and I don't think they rise to the level of disasters. If you look at disaster declarations in Arizona they are all from floods in our part of the state and some from excessive snowfall in the NE quadrant.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-05-2010 at 02:48 PM..

Old 04-05-2010, 03:15 PM

91 posts, read 246,295 times
Well you have to think about wild fires. Of course they typically do not happen in city limits, though even if there is a wild fire 100 + miles away (which there are every summer) you will get smoke and have side effects from that.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:29 PM

123 posts, read 354,278 times
I heard that a lot of businesses move to Phoenix because of the low amount of natural disasters.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:41 AM

65 posts, read 218,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The answer is very simply NO! Of course, we have a small constituent of haters who will argue the opposite and claim we are a victim of constant floods, tornados, earthquakes etc. I remember one such hater had the temerity to argue that Phoenix receives snow because one time in 19??, there was slight snowfall in Phoenix that melted before it hit the ground. Trust me, I'm sure someone will reach into the bag of desperate arguments like that snowfall argument to contradict me now.

I don't know about contradicting you, but I do know i've read once every five years, whats left over from hurricanes or tropical storms can enter Arizona, It's happened before and killed 23 people in the Phoenix area. Also a storm has entered Arizona before still classified as a tropical storm with circulation still in tact and all. One more thing, there is a very slight chance of it happening, but if the roosevelt dam ever broke, within 8 hours there would be a wall of water and phoenix would be inundated. The tropical storm thing is a lot more possible than u might think, they can cause MAJOR flooding, the possibility of a wall of water, or major flooding and 23 people dying sounds like a pretty serious disaster. I guess u can try to contradict me, but I got all my facts from reliable sources online.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM

65 posts, read 218,198 times
Many people think phoenix is so immune to disasters when really we are still a very young city, If I had to guess the future I would say the most likely would be a large flood from a tropical storm or a dam breach, and it will come as a big surprise because people have been so closed minded about the possibilities, and I really don't sense the presence of an emergency response team in Phoenix (im sure their here, jus are not in tact with the public much).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area