Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 08:19 AM

46 posts, read 38,954 times

Advertisements

We moved here 2 years ago and the house was 3 years old at that time, so it's a 5 year old house. We verified it received termite treatment when built. Now we are getting notices in the mail saying it's time to get another termite treatment because it's been 5 years since the last treatment.

I'm wondering how often others get the treatment for termites out here in AZ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:15 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
No, there’s no reason to treat unless you have an active infestation. Don’t dump more harmful chemicals into the ground than necessary. But it might be prudent to have an inspection if you don’t feel confident that you can inspect yourself.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Most new construction these days is built on desert land, as opposed to land that was previously farms. The termite risk is MUCH higher on homes built in the desert. You can either have it treated and get a new warranty or let it go and do regular inspections yourself. Termites are easy to spot but can quickly become a major problem. I'd get it treated.

Here's an example of a house that was recently listed for sale that had a termite infestation. You can very clearly see the tubes on the foundation, so now you know what you are looking for.

https://imgur.com/a/dQWwmpw

Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM

46 posts, read 38,954 times
No active infestation (that I know of) but I'm not even sure what to look for. I was just wondering what others did with their homes and how often (if ever) do you get termite treatment. I read one article that said every 5 years; and then I read another article that said every 10 years. So, I was looking for some averages of how often to get it done.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:28 PM

35 posts, read 32,737 times
I've never had it done I feel like I may just be the company trying to get money from you. Unless you notice then I think it's best that you just ignore the notices from the mail

Old 09-09-2019, 09:34 PM

3,057 posts, read 2,034,410 times
In Florida a seller has to provide a termite inspection report to the buyer at sellers expense. The inspection cost $50 on a small property we sold last year but when they found evidence of termites that cost us $500 for treatment. That was a big expense on a small $$ property but we got off cheaper than another seller a block over who had to tent their property in order to make the sale. It was under contract but the termite inspection found enough infestation so tenting was necessary. Both similar buildings, concrete block with wood roofs and beams from 1950's.

We just bought in North Carolina and it's the buyer's expense to get a termite inspection. No termites found and the inspection cost us $200. Today I talked to a pest control company and the employee was originally from Houston TX and said in TX a termite inspection certificate was required at sale there same as Florida. Not in NC however.

To sell our current FL home we'll need a termite inspection certificate done in advance so nothing stops a sale from getting done. Better to know in advance and treat proactively. Just want an honest inspector, one without termites in his pocket to sprinkle around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area