U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 04:27 PM

211 posts, read 605,311 times

Advertisements

I love me some sushi. What can I say.

Koi Sushi at Olive and 43rd Ave in Glendale feels like home to me. If I had my Druthers, that's where I'd be at least 2 nights a week. As it were, I can only really swing it once a week, and even then, as much as I love my sushi, I can't see any wisdom in dropping almost $300/month on sushi and sake bombers.

SO, I'd like to start making my own. Anyone in the north to NW part of town know any place to get some high quality Tuna, Salmon and so on? I've heard "Sushi Quality" is near meaningless, as the fish is usually fresh frozen at the packing plant and then thawed for use, but where's a good place to pick up some RAW materials?

The Tuna and Salmon at Sprouts Farmers Market around 59th Ave and Bell looks pretty good, but I'm looking for references before I do the raw seafood thing on my own.

TIA!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 07:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,325,050 times
I would try AJ's (SW Corner 67th and the 101). They do have a good sushi counter, so I know they have the product at least there. Not sure if they have "sushi grade" in the seafood dept.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:20 PM

919 posts, read 3,247,367 times
Try Lee Lee's in Peoria (also Chandler). They aren't going to have a Sushi-joint range of fare, but will likely have some basics (tuna...) and they also sell some live seafood.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,325,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Try Lee Lee's in Peoria
Also a great place to get all of the other ingredients. They are the only place I've found that carry the kind of soy and fish sauce I like.

Old 04-07-2010, 01:48 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,178,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Also a great place to get all of the other ingredients. They are the only place I've found that carry the kind of soy and fish sauce I like.
Agreed. Great variety of sushi'ish stuff available. Look up receipts and make your own. To the OP, you can also save major $$$ by going during happy hour instead of busy times.

The only thing that is going to be expensive is the fish. Plan on spending $100 a month on fish alone instead of the $300 at the restaurant.

We order a cart full and only spend $30 because we go during happy hour. If you go once a week, it is still less than $300.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:58 AM

211 posts, read 605,311 times
Excellent replies! Thank you! This is definitely something I'm going to check out.

Super excited about this.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 PM

181 posts, read 1,048,027 times
The sushi at Costco is surprisingly good. Inexpensive too.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 AM

10,719 posts, read 19,283,938 times
Sushi grade and fresh seafood are entirely different concepts. There is no way in hell I would buy fresh seafood for sushi purposes from Lee Lee.

I know Lee's Lee's has encompassed this All Asian theme but it's essentially a Vietnamese grocery that expanded to include other groceries. Vietnamese fish is not known to be sushi grade. They cook their fish. For sushi grade, I would probably talk to a chef at a nice sushi restaurant in the valley and ask them where you can buy sushi grade yellow tail and other type of fish. You definitely need to find a place that specializes in that type of fish. The art of preparing sushi not only includes preparing it but identifying fish that can be prepared for sashimi. You don't want to just go into Lee Lee's and pick out a fish and eat it raw because its fresh and found in an Asian grocery store. You don't want to get a fish tapeworm

Old 08-21-2010, 06:42 PM

3,887 posts, read 9,628,611 times
I would order online too, never would I buy fish in Phoenix for sushi, unless it's swimming. They usually ship out same day as caught. I'd rather take my chances online than in the desert. lol
I've ordered online lobster with good results.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 1,222,014 times
Fresh Wasabi at 67th / bell has great lunch specials, 7 pieces of sushi with tempura, edamame, salad, miso soup, for around $9.75. Their sushi is excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area