Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:29 PM

380 posts, read 1,058,481 times

Advertisements

almost nothing would be easier to outsource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 12:05 PM

111 posts, read 373,564 times
I don't deny that Java programmers can easily be outsourced, but I haven't seen the trend as of late. I've heard programmers get upset that all our jobs are getting outsourced, but I have never met one, who was good, who was out of a job for more than month.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:53 PM

128 posts, read 445,581 times
AMEX's entire IT department is based here so I don't know what the guy who said it's all call center jobs is talking about. The problem is AMEX brings a lot of employees from India on H1B visas. I've been to their campus across the street from where I work (Mayo) and it looks like little Bombay in there

So unless you're willing to compete with them (and by compete I mean generally take a much lower salary), you might have some difficulties landing an IT job at AMEX. It won't hurt to try though. What are your qualifications ?

Old 04-25-2010, 02:04 AM

8,229 posts, read 13,310,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soysauce View Post
was looking at relocating to the area. what is the job market like for network engineers?

i see plenty of jobs advertised, but im not sure what the competition is like for those positions. several of them have been open for quite a while...

thanks
I'd NOT move anywhere without finding a job first unless you really have to move first. IT job market is terrible throughout the country, still a hefty amount of work being outsourced (I totally hate the government for allowing this get to this level) but a few areas are still hiring local candidates only or at least for the most part. Networking is one of them but the key thing is you being the top guy or have solid experience and references.

Still, Phoenix employers are really horrible imo. They will drag the hiring process, often cancelling or putting positions on hold after posting it or even during the hiring process. I have been there, seen that, got sick of it and relocated back to CA. It sucks over here too but at least there are still a bunch of direct hiring jobs. AZ in general is heavy on contract/temp jobs. They try to candy-coat is but classifying it as 'contract-to-hire' but I'd not hold my breath.

Also much like the jobs in CA and US in general, get ready for all-time low salaries unless it is a solid company and you got the skills!

Good luck (you just might need it)!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:57 AM

380 posts, read 1,058,481 times
DC is doing well (they got the printing press) for IT jobs, but it is still tougher than it was. Rent is more than double Phoenix.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:35 PM

82 posts, read 204,426 times
How is the job market for Desktop Support? I am moving in about 2 months to the Surprise area. I have been there several times, even in summer and am renting and have enough cash for a year or two if necessary. I have been a level 2 desktop support/JR Sys. admin. for over 8 years in mostly fortune 500 companies. I have Hospital experience and am going to try several of the area hospitals like Del Webb in sun city. I know I will be taking a paycut to somewhere in the 40s range. I have seen many jobs over the past year mostly in Phoenix, I don't want to go that far, but will to start. The job market is terrible all over so no matter where you move you will face the same problem. Thanks for any help.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:45 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,550,811 times
You should not have a problem as a network engineer anywhere. My sister's boyfriend is a network engineer and does a lot of his work on his blackberry and on call all the time. He can do work from home (remote sites).

You are probably young in your career. Because with experience you can find a niche like my sister's boyfriend and find work anywhere. BTW: His lifestyle is very abnormal. His twin boys are preteens and he spends most of his time in other states. If I had kids, I would be around them every day.

This guy worked for a large food distribution company from Phoenix. So just because you are in high tech does not mean you have to be only at Intel or General Dynamics. There are several huge companies in Phoenix. Think outside the box. I think you can find a good position here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soysauce View Post
was looking at relocating to the area. what is the job market like for network engineers?

i see plenty of jobs advertised, but im not sure what the competition is like for those positions. several of them have been open for quite a while...

thanks

Old 05-01-2010, 06:59 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,550,811 times
Second quarter in a row the staffing company I work through reported positive earnings in the IT / Engineering sector. I have a great representative in the staffing company. He can find me work anywhere within a week notice if I have to get out of town. Been with that firm nearly ten years. Soldier of fortune in embedded systems.

That brings up another point. Don't think permanent in location. Be extremely flexible. If I could get a $20 per hour raise and work 10 hours overtime per week in Manhattan, I'd be there in a blink of an eye (and I'm in my 50s).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
IT job market is terrible throughout the country

Last edited by Howard Roark; 05-01-2010 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 05-02-2010, 08:19 AM

82 posts, read 204,426 times
I don't think I want to travel outside of the state of AZ and would like to stay within the area of surprise mostly. I can wait for the right job as I am lucky to have a little cash behind me. I really want to stay in the desktop support area or maybe IT sales and/or project mgmt as that is where all my experience is from. I am an MCSE for w2k, although I have only used part of that certification since working in this field. I do see many jobs on craigslist, but I never know how real they are. I am certain I will find something that matches my needs and a companies needs I have alot to offer, just not sure how long that will take. Thanks for the positive advice I was bracing for some very negative feedback about moving there without a job. I have checked out several other states to relocate to based on what type of life I am looking for and Arizona has fit the bill precisely. Thanks again folks!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:53 AM

6,587 posts, read 5,834,453 times
The op asked about network engineer jobs, not computer programming. Someone responded something about call centers, someone else claimed Java was a good skill here, and someone else recommended AmEx, which is in the financial transactions business, not network engineering. Someone said some relative got a job as a network engineer, therefore it's a good job market.

Now for the truth. PHOENIX IS A TERRIBLE JOB MARKET. Don't come here expecting to find a long term position in anything but the unemployment line. You will be quite disappointed and frustrated.

Yes, there are a few positions advertised--the same ones posted over and over by agencies like Robert Half, KForce, etc., trying to present themselves as hot placement firms with tons of great jobs. But the cold truth is that there's about one new job a month in I.T., a couple thousand people pounce on it, and there's very little chance of getting it.

Phoenix is in a deep recession and they are simply not hiring. OP (if you're still around), I advise you to look nationally and not just here.

The software skills that seem to be in demand in Phoenix are mostly Microsoft-oriented technologies such as ASP.NET, C#, and SQL Server. There is also some demand for senior Java people with J2EE. Network engineers, or network technicians, are also in some demand though there are also a lot of such people out of work and willing to take low paying positions.

I had to go to Massachusetts to find work. Best of luck to everyone who is not employed; you may have to start a business or change careers to make a go of it. I do believe the state will bounce back eventually; computers are not going away any time soon. But just don't be unrealistic. I'm afraid those cushy, plentiful jobs from the 80s and 90s are gone and they're not coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area