Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure what economic effect this bill will have on Phoenix. And I really don't think it should be an issue. Suppose we provided free shoes for blond haired people for decades and all of a sudden we stopped providing free shoes for them. And then the blond haired people would threaten to boycott Arizona because of the end of free shoes.

We should not care. Personally, I'm for open borders. But I am against them if we have to pay for ANY of the illegals' health care or the education of ANY of their kids, or to pay for the jailing of ANY of them who break our laws.

The 1070 may actually increase tourism to Arizona, including Phoenix, as well as increase the population of Arizona, including Phoenix, since many people would think the government spending will become more efficient.

However the 1% sales tax is helping to push taxes to the level of California. The closer Arizona taxes get to California's, the less likely people will want to move from California to Arizona. Californification of Arizona is retarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 08:11 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I never cared for Arizona politics anyway, but John McCain never really gave the state itself a bad name for those who didn't like him. I have my own thoughts on the legislation, they sure do have balls down there and it no doubt does tarnish the states image,however many are aware of the serious immagration problem there so it's sorta damned if you do, damned if you don't.

With that said I have never been to Arizona but I've always wanted to see it. Politics would never stop me from seeing the Grand Canyon, Sedona, or Scottsdale. Why the hell should they? Gay marriage in Massachusetts pushed a lot of people's buttons when that became law in the courts. I'm sure it had a minimal effect on tourism in Cape Cod and Boston.

Not to mention the attention span of Americans is pretty short and this is another flash in the pan media story. I'm sure months things will resume to normal as far as Arizona's PR is concorened, unless some cops do something really stupid to catch the media's attention yet again.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:18 PM

380 posts, read 1,062,781 times
The NFL is closely aligned with the US Armed Forces, and also is very pro union. Notice the flyovers at the games? A lot of this is about national security and there are still repercussions from 9-11. I think most would agree that another attack against the West is likely over the next few years. I don't see how it would be any better to enforce immigration law during a post attack panic.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:24 PM

149 posts, read 533,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I think all of us can agree this bill will have a negative impact on Phoenix economically speaking.
I think it's going to be very difficult to objectively measure the impact on the AZ economy. We cannot forget the health care costs, education costs, public services, etc. that we, taxpayers, are currently paying for them.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
I'm not sure what economic effect this bill will have on Phoenix. .
You are not sure what economic effect losing a Super Bowl and conventions will have on Phoenix?

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM

7,182 posts, read 9,231,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
The NFL is closely aligned with the US Armed Forces, and also is very pro union. Notice the flyovers at the games? A lot of this is about national security and there are still repercussions from 9-11. I think most would agree that another attack against the West is likely over the next few years. I don't see how it would be any better to enforce immigration law during a post attack panic.
I never saw the illegal immigrant issue as a national security issue. I see it as an issue of an overburdened economy being stretched beyond the breaking point.

It isn't a conservative/liberal issue either. BOTH parties republican and democrat have been for increased immigration (illegal or legal) as a way to either augment the tax base or gather more voters. That is the real reason nothing has been done about it and why this latest bill will probably be nothing more than a boondoggle.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,196 times
I doubt that Glendale was really in the running for another Super Bowl in the next decade. From what I have read, the consensus was that Arizona got the prize for putting up the new stadium, but that the area surrounding the stadium had less to offer than other sites.

The national news people will move on as other stories develop. I would not lose much sleep over being on the economic boycott list of San Francisco politicos. There are plenty of wing nuts on the other side with greenbacks in their pockets.

Let me thank President Obama once again for taking Janet N. off our hands.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:08 PM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 479,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNeedle View Post
I cannot forget the health care costs, education costs, public services, etc. that we, taxpayers, are currently paying for them.
That is assuming this law is truly going to impact those areas and I don't think it's going to. Our law enforcement already racially profiles and that isn't news to anyone who lives here. The Sheriff's office has been doing it for years. This law is going to change nothing in reality. The police are not going to suddenly walk up to Latino bystanders and question their immigration status. What will change is how the rest of the country perceives us. We are already feeling those effects. People are threatening to boycott events. A San Francisco city council group canceled a meeting at the Phoenician. I think others will follow suit. There was talk of the NCAA holding a Final Four here but I think that is not going to be a reality any longer unless this law is repealed or changed. As Loco' stated on the previous page, the politicians will cave in when we are hit in the pocket books much like the Superbowl was taken away from us after our refusal to honor the MLK holiday. This is why I think this law is pretty much worthless. It's not going to change a single thing with regards to immigration but it is going to hurt us economically by causing other states and organizations to boycott us.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I doubt that Glendale was really in the running for another Super Bowl in the next decade. From what I have read, the consensus was that Arizona got the prize for putting up the new stadium, but that the area surrounding the stadium had less to offer than other sites.

The national news people will move on as other stories develop. I would not lose much sleep over being on the economic boycott list of San Francisco politicos. There are plenty of wing nuts on the other side with greenbacks in their pockets.

Let me thank President Obama once again for taking Janet N. off our hands.
It matters to me what type of investment we attract. I don't really want to attract right wing conservative wing nuts to this state. Arizona was a viable option for a third Superbowl this decade. The others won not because Arizona had little to offer around it's stadium. Dallas and Indianapolis were both due for a Superbowl.

Did the naitonal news abandon the health care issue or the tea partiers? The networks will continue to focus on whatever brings them ratings and this issue is a hotly contested issue that is sure to ensure high ratings. I care about my state and I don't want to see it mocked like it's some joke due to an overzealous and right wing governor who didn't even earn the governorship but walked into it.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,570,380 times
Yup. I guess maybe I underestimate the money generated by the Super Bowl since I usually don't watch it. There are a lot of other attractions here in Phoenix that bring in money. Are they all going to boycott Phoenix?

Also Utah and Texas are talking about bringing up their own copies of Arizona's immigration bill. That would mean the illegals will have to go into California and New Mexico and really impact the taxpayers in those states with more health care and education for their children and incarceration.

I'm for pay as you go. I am tired of paying for others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You are not sure what economic effect losing a Super Bowl and conventions will have on Phoenix?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area