U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 04:57 PM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 450,242 times

Advertisements

I know there are threads about 1070 but I wanted to discuss the economic impact of this bill on Phoenix which I feel is a slightly different issue. I don't want to discuss the merits of the bill because all of us has an opinion on immigration, however, I think all of us can agree this bill will have a negative impact on Phoenix economically speaking. I think we can all agree the rest of the United States has a certain interpretation of this bill regardless of what the bill states. There are already discussions of widespread economic sanctions on Arizona and Phoenix specifically. We could lose a Super Bowl, and major conferences. We have already lost a San Francisco city conference in Scottsdale. I think investment in the state of Arizona will be hurt as companies will chose not to locate here because of the reputation. I fear an economic backlash of this state much like South Africa sufferred from severe economic sanctions as a result of its apartheid policy. Perhaps the bill is being misinterpreted but those misinterpretations are going result in a negative economic impact on Phoenix. In a time in which people are struggling to find jobs and our housing and construction industry was sufferring, it seems like a bill such as this is truly coming at an inopportune time. I wonder if our state leaders have considered the economic impact of such a bill. At time in which we are trying to lure investment to this state, the impact of this bill from a public relations stance truly concerns me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:59 PM

380 posts, read 1,013,006 times
business down 10%; shoplifting down 80%.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:20 PM
zox zox started this thread

344 posts, read 450,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
business down 10%; shoplifting down 80%.
Prevention of shoplifting doesn't create jobs. Companies moving here and hiring people create jobs. Hotels staying full creates jobs. A 1 billion dollar impact of the Superbowl brings jobs. Retirees coming here creates jobs. Tourists visiting the Grand Canyon creates jobs. Companies leaving the state to make a political statement causes job losses. People are struggling to find jobs. Do we really want to make it harder on those folks? I'm actually not opposed to this law in terms of its merits but the economic impact we will all suffer from is not worth this law. You have to weigh the pros and cons. The criminals are still going to come here and sell drugs and engage in kidnappings. However, the South African apartheid-like backlash we will receive and the economic santions that will result is going to hurt everyone and lead to job losses. We don't want cancelled conventions and our tourism and retirement industry to be negatively impacted.

Last edited by zox; 04-28-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 04-28-2010, 05:38 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,486,041 times
We already went thru this with the MLK Holiday so basically what will happen is the NFL will threaten us with the Super Bowl. We will lose some conventions and the politicians will cave in.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM

8,776 posts, read 11,187,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Prevention of shoplifting doesn't create jobs. Companies moving here and hiring people create jobs. Hotels staying full creates jobs. A 1 billion dollar impact of the Superbowl brings jobs. Retirees coming here creates jobs. Tourists visiting the Grand Canyon creates jobs. Companies leaving the state to make a political statement causes job losses. People are struggling to find jobs. Do we really want to make it harder on those folks? I'm actually not opposed to this law in terms of its merits but the economic impact we will all suffer from is not worth this law. You have to weigh the pros and cons. The criminals are still going to come here and sell drugs and engage in kidnappings. However, the South African apartheid-like backlash we will receive and the economic santions that will result is going to hurt everyone and lead to job losses. We don't want cancelled conventions and our tourism and retirement industry to be negatively impacted.
I've worked in AZ tourism/hospitality for years and years. Business has been way down for over a year now just because of the economy across the country. I really don't think that people coming here on vacation will lessen that much. Or any more than it already has. We may lose conventions, etc. but ordinary people will still come, especially where I live. Just not as many and it won't be because of this bill. It'll be simply because of the economy, as usual. If we are threatened with boycotts we'll likely 'give in' and 'take it all back'...the almighty dollar always wins. That should make a lot of folks happy.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:02 PM

424 posts, read 907,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I know there are threads about 1070 but I wanted to discuss the economic impact of this bill on Phoenix which I feel is a slightly different issue. I don't want to discuss the merits of the bill because all of us has an opinion on immigration, however, I think all of us can agree this bill will have a negative impact on Phoenix economically speaking. I think we can all agree the rest of the United States has a certain interpretation of this bill regardless of what the bill states. There are already discussions of widespread economic sanctions on Arizona and Phoenix specifically. We could lose a Super Bowl, and major conferences. We have already lost a San Francisco city conference in Scottsdale. I think investment in the state of Arizona will be hurt as companies will chose not to locate here because of the reputation. I fear an economic backlash of this state much like South Africa sufferred from severe economic sanctions as a result of its apartheid policy. Perhaps the bill is being misinterpreted but those misinterpretations are going result in a negative economic impact on Phoenix. In a time in which people are struggling to find jobs and our housing and construction industry was sufferring, it seems like a bill such as this is truly coming at an inopportune time. I wonder if our state leaders have considered the economic impact of such a bill. At time in which we are trying to lure investment to this state, the impact of this bill from a public relations stance truly concerns me.
Points well taken. If your a CEO of a major corporation and considering having retreats, meetings, etc. in Phoenix, you'll probably re-think your strategy, especially if you have people of "color" working for you. Lots of other major cities are "licking their chops" for the business that Phoenix will probably get passed over. At the end of the day this CAN"T be good for the many business' in the Phoenix area.

One other off the subject comment, if you are an investor now is the time to be buying up property. Guess why? Nobody will be in the area to build new homes in the future! Of course the argument could be there will be nobody to rent them either.....I guess a typical "catch 22".

Old 04-28-2010, 06:39 PM

8,776 posts, read 11,187,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
We already went thru this with the MLK Holiday so basically what will happen is the NFL will threaten us with the Super Bowl. We will lose some conventions and the politicians will cave in.
HA! We were writing almost the same thing about the same time. GMTA!! You aren't as 'wordy' as me though. I guess, since we've seen what happened in the past we can probably expect the same in the future.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,483,389 times
I'm sure this is going to have an effect.

I'm a legal American citizen (born here) but I won't even drive through Arizona until this law is changed. I wouldn't want to be pulled over for something dumb like a brake light and have it turn into one of those "nightmares" you always hear about.

For one thing, I don't have a passport. I don't have a copy of my birth certificate (I'd have to order that because I lost my original copy). I have a driver's license but the law states "Arizona driver's license" and mine is from California.

Better safe than sorry -- so I'll just stay away from Arizona.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:58 PM

21,144 posts, read 40,259,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoAZnative View Post
Apples and oranges here. Unlike the MLK day mess; hostility is growing against illegal aliens as a group across the nation and the politicians are spooked that they will be thrown out of office come November if they allow the status quo to continue.

Just reading the Comments section after any 'illegal immigration' article in the MSM is running something like 7-8 to 1 against any sort of amnesty.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM

9,725 posts, read 14,483,389 times
There is a lot of hostility towards illegal aliens. It's been like that for years now.

The problem with this law is that it is so poorly written.

Well, we can all look at it like one of Ashton Kucher's "social experiments" and see what happens. Maybe it will work, or maybe it'll be a disaster. Time will tell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area