Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:00 PM

15 posts, read 37,557 times

Advertisements

We are relocating this summer. Probably renting with a $3000 - $3500 budget until we get to know the area better. My first thought was Scottsdale due to great public schools. Cave Creek gets us a bigger lot, but I worry about the size and budget issues in their school district. Now, my husband wants to look at Anthem and I haven't even gone there yet!

We have two boys who will be in preK and 1st grade next year. We want a good community center, home with a pool, good public schools, and to be within a 15 drive to basic shopping (target, groceries, etc). Hubby works from home and I stay home, so commute is not as issue.

I look forward to your feedback - love city-data!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,137,475 times
For your budget you will have no trouble finding a nice home in any of those areas. You should consider the amenities you want, the type of activities you enjoy and where you will be spending your time. Then choose.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:49 PM

I guess my biggest concern is how far out Cave Creek and Anthem are. We haven't visited yet, but I have to drive 20-30 minutes for all of the good kids camps/sports, target, the mall etc. Don't want that again. Also concerned about quality of schools in CC and Anthem - Scottsdale seems to be great in that area.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:51 PM

Default Great Family Areas North of Phoenix

We are relocating to AZ this summer and know very little about the area other than what we have found online. PLEASE help us figure out the best places to look for a home. Here's what we hope for::

A 2-year lease on a 4-bedroom home for $2500 - $3500
Good schools (preschool and elementary aged kids)
Safe neighborhood with community parks, pools, kids activities, etc.
Easy access to daily stuff: gym, shopping, target, etc.
Bonus: no commute. My husband will be working from and I stay at home.

Areas we have found online and seem to like (I'd love feedback on these areas!):
DC Ranch
MMR
Pinnacle Peak/Grayhawk
Paradise Valley Area
Cave Creek Area
Anthem

Background on us: We are in a master planned community now and would like to keep it that way - but with a larger yard with a pool! (Seattle now) Don't care about the age of the home as long as it has been remodeled and is in an area with great schools and lots of kids Our boys are 3 and 6. I'm a "soccer mom" all the way and I'm not afraid to admit it.

Thank you SO MUCH! I love this forum and truly value your feedback.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:47 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,372,979 times
Sounds like Anthem would work best for you, depending on where you end up working. You can rent a large home in Anthem for under $2000 easily, the more upscale homes would be in your price range.

Anthem is one of the safest neighborhoods I know, it's one of the few places I would raise kids near Phoenix due to the schools and low crime, and the tons of families already there.

EDIT - I just read you don't need to commute, go for Anthem!

Old 05-03-2010, 05:06 AM

11 posts, read 19,620 times
Many of the areas U mentioned would be perfect. Cave Creek and Carefree are very naturalistic, bucolic communities with lush desert vegetation and 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix.

Check out the region's North valley newspapers on-line:

The Foothills Focus Arizona Newspaper for Anthem, Cave Creek, Carefree, and Desert Hills news

Sonoran News April 28 –*May 4, 2010

Chamber of Commerce -

Carefree Cave Creek Chamber of Commerce - Carefree Arizona - AZ

Old 05-03-2010, 05:21 AM

11 posts, read 19,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanMama View Post
I guess my biggest concern is how far out Cave Creek and Anthem are. We haven't visited yet, but I have to drive 20-30 minutes for all of the good kids camps/sports, target, the mall etc. Don't want that again. Also concerned about quality of schools in CC and Anthem - Scottsdale seems to be great in that area.
There are many big box stores near Anthem, Cave Creek, Carefree, North Scottsdale, and North Phoenix. There is a wallmart in Anthem and another in north Phoenix. Lowes, Home Depot are everywhere. Targets are everywhere as Scottsdale is home to Target's President. There are Fryes grocery stores in Anthem, Cave Creek, etc. A new Wallmart is planned at the intersection of Cave Creek Road and Carefree Blvd. Anyone know when?

While there are not freeways intersecting all these areas, the major roads are well over 150 feet wide, are at least 4 lanes, and 55mph (such as Carefree Hwy east to west, and Cave Creek Blvd down into Phoenix).

I-17 between Carefree Hwy and north Phoenix was just widened to 6 (8?) lanes, and it's now much easier to commute down from Black Canyon, Anthem, or North Phoenix into Central Phoenix.

Have they finished the widening, and has the conversion of Carefree Highway to Hwy 303 started?

The Carefree / Cave Creek chamber of commerce is a source of lots of info on schools and activities. It seems that they have a lot of promotional money, and probably can mail you a very nice relocation packet.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
Anthem is nice, but it's still more of a drive to shopping than you need to make. I know nothing about the rating of the schools up there, or what they offer in terms of kids' programs, etc. Cave Creek is not known for the "planned communities" you are looking for, or the community parks, kids' activities, etc.

When you say "Paradise Valley area", I'm assuming you don't mean the town itself. If you mean the far eastern part of that "area", that would be fine. It would actually be either Phoenix or Scottsdale in terms of city limits, and Paradise Valley School District. Greyhawk, DC Ranch, McDowell Mtn Ranch, etc., all are possibilities, I don't know what the rents are like in that area. They are a bit of a drive from other parts of the Valley when and if you need to do that, but other than that, they would offer what you are looking for.

I would find a realtor to help you work with those choices and perhaps suggest some others.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
As I stated on the other thread, I don't see Carefree or Cave Creek as offering what the OP is looking for in terms of planned community, family activities -- Carefree, in particular, has NEVER struck me as family oriented at all, and it most certainly is not a planned community in the sense I think the OP means, although it's a very nice place.

I'm not sure why we have two threads. Is there some way to merge them, moderators?

Old 05-03-2010, 09:31 AM

264 posts, read 1,591,655 times
You may want to look into Desert Ridge as well, Fireside & Aviano.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area