U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 06:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 9,858,668 times

Advertisements

Yep you're right. Its good ol' shiphead with his cynicism.

Was there any thought put behind the high rises built in Phoenix? Why would someone buy a glass surrounded home in a place that gets up 110-125? Seriously?

Do they not understand how HOT it is with the sun beating down? Even the semi-new library in downtown is a glass box. During the winter it was hot on the top floor.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 AM

932 posts, read 1,780,855 times
Well I wouldn't want to buy a place that has no windows at all. Besides your forgetting about the other more than half of the year when it's not 110 degrees. It's never been 125 ever in Phoenix, 122 once but its yet pass 118 degrees during the summer again. Having lots of glass high rises makes Phoenix have its own character. Big, glass and steel modern high rises looks better than windowless cold concrete. We should be remembered for our new and modern downtown.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,167,309 times
I'm quite cofident the builders of the residential lofts have taken care of being sure each unit can be cooled effectively to the satisfaction of the owner of that unit. I'm sure they realize this is Phoenix and they have to build for Phoenix. If you are interested, you may want to ask them. They may have emergency generators in case power goes off in the middle of the hot season.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Well I wouldn't want to buy a place that has no windows at all. Besides your forgetting about the other more than half of the year when it's not 110 degrees. It's never been 125 ever in Phoenix, 122 once but its yet pass 118 degrees during the summer again. Having lots of glass high rises makes Phoenix have its own character. Big, glass and steel modern high rises looks better than windowless cold concrete. We should be remembered for our new and modern downtown.
Looks are fine and all but you can mix "look" with function. Osbourne + Central is where i think this building is. There is one building in downtown, older, that has this. The east/west exposure is limited with slotted windows, futuristic'ish looking. While the inside curve of the building is open with windows.

I am seeing a lot of buildings that probably belong in California, near the beach, not in super hotville.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:47 AM

17,827 posts, read 38,835,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Looks are fine and all but you can mix "look" with function. Osbourne + Central is where i think this building is. There is one building in downtown, older, that has this. The east/west exposure is limited with slotted windows, futuristic'ish looking. While the inside curve of the building is open with windows.

I am seeing a lot of buildings that probably belong in California, near the beach, not in super hotville.
That's an office building, and it's quite old. Those "slotted" windows were made to look like the paper cards that went in the dark ages computers, as the building was built for Univac. So, they weren't thinking primarily about heat exposure in the first place. The other side of the building has been remodeled somewhat from the original, I think.

Are you talking about places to LIVE, or office buildings? I tend to agree that there is a LOT of glass used here in public buildings (the ugly federal courthouse comes first to my mind). But I don't notice it as much with the lofts, etc.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 AM

46 posts, read 104,841 times
I would really prefer glass over concrete for the outside look. I wouldn't mind living in a tall building or even a mid-rise but the concrete looks too bland. Give me something with glass so I can have views and have the great Phoenix sunlight filter in.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Are you talking about places to LIVE, or office buildings? I tend to agree that there is a LOT of glass used here in public buildings (the ugly federal courthouse comes first to my mind). But I don't notice it as much with the lofts, etc.
Places to live. I suppose you can build these high rises with no thought behind them for the snow birds. They are here when it's "cold."

Old 05-16-2010, 10:35 AM

723 posts, read 2,132,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon4ever View Post
I would really prefer glass over concrete for the outside look. I wouldn't mind living in a tall building or even a mid-rise but the concrete looks too bland. Give me something with glass so I can have views and have the great Phoenix sunlight filter in.
Totally agree!!!!!!!!!

Buildings without glass look and feel so dull and boring. The sun here can get kind of intense in the summer but that's what Blinds and Drapes are for. The rest of the year is so nice that I wouldn't want to feel all shut in.

My only beef about High-rises is they shouldn't be built outside of Downtown Phx. or the Central District. Keep them away from Suburban areas - all that glass and concrete can creates a problem for people that don't want to feel like they're living in a big City!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area